Windows 10

Discuss all things to do with computing. Please note that we do not allow the discussion of peer to peer (P2P) subject matter.

Moderator: Kryten

Kryten

Re: Windows 10

Post by Kryten »

Shingster wrote:So Microsoft have now announced that they will be no longer be supporting Windows 10 as a platform beyond 2025, which I guess means the next iteration of the OS will be landing within the next couple of years or so. Any thoughts? Anyone annoyed that the supposed "last version of Windows you'll ever need" is anything but? I assume we all deep down new that was just marketing BS, right?
The real question is less about will the go to windows 11 (macOS finally went to 11 after many years at 10) and more about will it be a free update? I think if it is free then less concern. I would guess potentially heavily ARM focussed too could be an outcome of a new OS version. Possibly more Linux kernel based? Who knows. should find out more details later this month I think.
scoobyood

Post by scoobyood »

there’s a launch/announcement event…

“Join us June 24th at 11 am ET for the #MicrosoftEvent to see what’s next. https://t.co/kSQYIDZSyi pic.twitter.com/Emb5GPHOf0

— Windows (@Windows) June 2, 2021
Shingster

Post by Shingster »

Kryten wrote:
Shingster wrote:So Microsoft have now announced that they will be no longer be supporting Windows 10 as a platform beyond 2025, which I guess means the next iteration of the OS will be landing within the next couple of years or so. Any thoughts? Anyone annoyed that the supposed "last version of Windows you'll ever need" is anything but? I assume we all deep down new that was just marketing BS, right?
The real question is less about will the go to windows 11 (macOS finally went to 11 after many years at 10) and more about will it be a free update? I think if it is free then less concern. I would guess potentially heavily ARM focussed too could be an outcome of a new OS version. Possibly more Linux kernel based? Who knows. should find out more details later this month I think.
I hope it will be a free upgrade, but not completely confident it will. I'm thinking they might try a cheap upgrade option to existing users for maybe £20-£30.
scoobyood

Post by scoobyood »

One purchase cost seems a bit archaic for modern Microsoft Corporate.. is now the time they try Windows as a service?…. It will maybe come with 1TB subscription to OneDrive? £5.99 a month. They’ll probably have a ‘Windows Life’ or some similarly titled plan with email, OneDrive etc etc… then a gaming one with Xbox.

This of course would make everyone flip out if that was the only way to get it. So they might couple it with a ‘free’ tier and a ‘lite’ OS?

It’s nice to speculate.
Shingster

Post by Shingster »

Yeah why would anyone want to own a operating system for a small initial cost when they can be shafted at a monthly cost of £5 a month and end up paying hundreds of pounds for that OS by the time the next one is launched! :nuts:

There's already enough poop in life taking a bite out of our monthly pay cheques, we don't need the simple act of running a PC to be added to that list.
shteve_

Post by shteve_ »

My guess is that it'll be a free upgrade, and that the only reason they're doing it is because iOS is now at v11 and they don't want to seem behind them.
I've got a signature and an avatar but not access to my old account :|
Shingster

Post by Shingster »

What do people think the likehood is that they will go with a free upgrade for people using the Home version and that they might adopt a monthly subscription with data plan like scoob says for the Pro version? I think it's inevitable that at some point they're gonna want to push a paid for subscription model in some capacity the moment they think they an get away with it.
scoobyood

Post by scoobyood »

11 has leaked everywhere… it’s literally Windows 10 with a new start menu and round corners from the cancelled Windows 10X :brickwall

Still a total mess, pieces of control panel still there and they are still dragging the desiccated remains of UI and OS components from Windows 95 onwards.. No ground-up reengineering etc, what a waste..

Glad I got an iPad Pro... If I didn’t play games and have an IT job to do.. I’d dump Windows forever for Ubuntu and iPad OS etc.
shteve_

Post by shteve_ »

It was always going to be a reskin of 10 tbh. Like I said earlier, I think this is more of a rebrand to keep in line with MacOS 11 rather than any major advance in functionality.
AdamBrunt

Post by AdamBrunt »

That's not good even for the "only ever so slightly" Luddites ... Win11 will not validate on pre-8th generation Intel CPUs ( and that includes the Surface Studio 2 which Microsoft are still selling for $3500 )
shteve_

Post by shteve_ »

Maybe, maybe not. The recommended TPM is 2.0, but it will work with TPM 1.2. The checking tool isn't quite right and is still only allowing TPM 2.0.
AdamBrunt

Post by AdamBrunt »

It also needs UEFI and Secure Boot enabled; this rules out my only PC for now as I can't be bothered to do a reinstall on a machine used for WFH
shteve_

Post by shteve_ »

If your boot drive is MBR, you can convert it to GPT relatively easily. Boot into system recovery mode, and then run mbr2gpt /validate to see if it'll work ok. If it doesn't show any issues, then run mbr2gpt /convert and it'll convert the drive. Took about 5 seconds on my PC. Then a simple enable UEFI boot and secure boot from the BIOS and all is good (probably also need to activate the TPM, but it depends on you mobo as to what the manufacturer chooses to call it). Both my PCs are showing Win11 ready and no reinstall required.
AdamBrunt

Post by AdamBrunt »

shteve_ wrote:If your boot drive is MBR, you can convert it to GPT relatively easily. Boot into system recovery mode, and then run mbr2gpt /validate to see if it'll work ok. If it doesn't show any issues, then run mbr2gpt /convert and it'll convert the drive. Took about 5 seconds on my PC. Then a simple enable UEFI boot and secure boot from the BIOS and all is good (probably also need to activate the TPM, but it depends on you mobo as to what the manufacturer chooses to call it). Both my PCs are showing Win11 ready and no reinstall required.
Interesting, will look into that later.

My first naive attempt was a bit scary - considering it's my only PC and essential for WFH ... secure boot requires UEFI with Legacy Boot options disabled. So I make those changes in the BIOS and reboot. I then just saw something like ">>Start PXE via IPv4" and the PC doing nothing else. Luckily was easy enough to switch back to legacy boot but .... was certainly panicking for a while there.
bumfrog

Post by bumfrog »

pxe is network boot and can be disabled in the bios. nothing to worry about, it will sit there for a while till it gets an ip address then try and connect to any pxe service being advertised, which I'm guessing you won't have any, then it will give up and go on to the next boot option.
AdamBrunt

Post by AdamBrunt »

bumfrog wrote:pxe is network boot and can be disabled in the bios. nothing to worry about, it will sit there for a while till it gets an ip address then try and connect to any pxe service being advertised, which I'm guessing you won't have any, then it will give up and go on to the next boot option.
How long is a while ?? It was sitting at that prompt for over 5 minutes not doing anything.

When you're coming from a "boot up to Win10 login screen in 8 seconds" scenario, 5+ minutes is terrible.
bumfrog

Post by bumfrog »

AdamBrunt wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:42 am
bumfrog wrote:pxe is network boot and can be disabled in the bios. nothing to worry about, it will sit there for a while till it gets an ip address then try and connect to any pxe service being advertised, which I'm guessing you won't have any, then it will give up and go on to the next boot option.
How long is a while ?? It was sitting at that prompt for over 5 minutes not doing anything.

When you're coming from a "boot up to Win10 login screen in 8 seconds" scenario, 5+ minutes is terrible.
yeh, shouldn't take 5 minutes. You can also try pressing escape to bypass it, bios dependent. Otherwise I'd personally just disable it in the bios unless you need it.
AdamBrunt

Post by AdamBrunt »

bumfrog wrote:
AdamBrunt wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:42 am

yeh, shouldn't take 5 minutes. You can also try pressing escape to bypass it, bios dependent. Otherwise I'd personally just disable it in the bios unless you need it.
IIRC when I was getting that prompt, the only boot options ( in the BIOS setup ) I could see were "Via IPv4" and "Via IPv6" or some such. The normal MBR type stuff ( like HDD, CD, USB, etc ) was no longer there which Googling suggests could have been the issue
bumfrog

Post by bumfrog »

ahhh in which case sounds like the uefi windows boot loader isnt on the drive.

It will probably be a massive faff to get it up and running but somebody else might have a better idea.

I'd usually just say it's probably quicker to re-install windows when all the uefi settings on in the bios so it does it properly, but I don't know how much stuff you have to re-install/re-configure so it might take longer.
AdamBrunt

Post by AdamBrunt »

bumfrog wrote:ahhh in which case sounds like the uefi windows boot loader isnt on the drive.

It will probably be a massive faff to get it up and running but somebody else might have a better idea.

I'd usually just say it's probably quicker to re-install windows when all the uefi settings on in the bios so it does it properly, but I don't know how much stuff you have to re-install/re-configure so it might take longer.
Loads of stuff would need to be re-installed.

I'll take a look into @shteve_ 's suggestion later