New Apple TV

Discuss all home media streaming hardware such as Popcorn Hour, Xtreamer, Mede8er and home cinema PCs
Stevie G

Post by Stevie G »

PSN Gamertag: NoMrMoreNiceGuy
It's all about the scrobbling...
LouBarlow

Post by LouBarlow »

I don't know. The author has said people are free to side-load his app so very possibly. It's worth a few quid to me anyway as it means I can playback files without having my Plex server running, which is pretty convenient. And I don't have one of those weird USB cables to hand anyway.

http://mrmc.tv
LouBarlow

Post by LouBarlow »

iPlayer app now available. Just need Amazon Prime now.
farrar

Post by farrar »

Bought one, quite impressed MrMC is good and runs well.
LouBarlow

Post by LouBarlow »

It's replaced all my other devices. I think it's already a superb piece of kit with potential. Netflix + MrMC + iPlayer and Hulu pretty much covers all bases for me.
farrar

Post by farrar »

LouBarlow wrote:It's replaced all my other devices. I think it's already a superb piece of kit with potential. Netflix + MrMC + iPlayer and Hulu pretty much covers all bases for me.

I had an Intel NUC running openelec but sold it since getting the Apple TV. MrMC will play everything you throw at it, just need Amazon Instant Video and then the device will be perfect for me.
neilalford

Post by neilalford »

Is there an app on the Apple TV that offers a Jukebox iPad app that will play back VIDEO_TS folders and MKV's from a server? Currently using a Popcorn Hour for this, that works pretty well, but looks like there might be a few extra useful features on the Apple TV.
Stevie G

Post by Stevie G »

MrMC, if it's anything like the normal kodi
PSN Gamertag: NoMrMoreNiceGuy
It's all about the scrobbling...
alsemail

Post by alsemail »

Only issue with ATV vs Popcorn Hour is the ATV can't output HD audio, if that's important to you.

The MrMC app is just Kodi with all the dodgy ability to stream using hooky add ons removed.
This does limit you a bit with legit add-ons and skins but from what I can gather other than that it's the same.
neilalford

Post by neilalford »

Hmm, not sure about the HD audio, at the moment the only Blu-Rays I have on my server are TV series, so they generally only have Dolby Digital audio at best and I still use a Blu-Ray player for films, but that might change in the future as storage gets cheaper.

Edit - Also, reading up on MrMC, it sounds like it doesn't support playback of VIDEO_TS folders, so maybe not ideal unfortunately as that's the format most of my films are in (to maintain menu structures, extras etc.)

Still slightly tempted by the Apple TV for everything else though.
alsemail

Post by alsemail »

It's supposed to be a work in progress, but when it comes to media streamers I take promises of future updates with a metric tonne of salt.
netboy

Post by netboy »

neilalford wrote:Is there an app on the Apple TV that offers a Jukebox iPad app that will play back VIDEO_TS folders and MKV's from a server? Currently using a Popcorn Hour for this, that works pretty well, but looks like there might be a few extra useful features on the Apple TV.

Look at infuse, £8 for the app, I use it to serve all my movies, to and home vids from a server. Interface is slick, MrMC is a little dated.
PSN: netboyuk69
LouBarlow

Post by LouBarlow »

Infuse didn't work for me. Jerky playback. I don't care how an app looks really as long as it plays the file. I don't spend much time in the menu :lol:
neilalford

Post by neilalford »

Just realised the Apple TV is included in the current Tesco Clubcard Boost promotion and had enough vouchers to cover it. Since they never include wine in the boost deals anymore it seemed like a perfect opportunity to get rid of some vouchers.

Sadly wont be available to collect until the 29th, stupid Christmas :(
alsemail

Post by alsemail »

netboy wrote:Look at infuse, £8 for the app, I use it to serve all my movies, to and home vids from a server. Interface is slick, MrMC is a little dated.

Once other skins start becoming available it should be better I'd think as some of the skins for stock Kodi can make it look very different from standard.
netboy

Post by netboy »

alsemail wrote:Once other skins start becoming available it should be better I'd think as some of the skins for stock Kodi can make it look very different from standard.

I've purchased MrMC as well as infuse, but I don't suffer any issues with infuse. Hopefully MrMC will develop with new skins and authorised addons.
PSN: netboyuk69
LouBarlow

Post by LouBarlow »

Installed Kodi today and seemed to go OK. Unfortunately the Premier League Pass add-on doesn't seem to work with this early version. Bummer.