New US TV Shows 2019 (onwards)

Discuss TV series here - this is a forum for discussion, spoilers etc of current and past TV shows.

Moderators: cjanderson, The Bear, Bish, Kryten, driver8

driver8

Re: New US TV Shows 2019

Post by driver8 »

shteve_ wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:55 am Critical Drinker reviews Arcane - https://youtu.be/W3h6Pszege4 - Warning, he's quite sweary :D
Never heard of this guy - quite entertaining, but massive spoilers that include clips from the very final minutes!
Wooglie wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:58 pm If you have Apple+ Severance is great
Good to hear, as it was getting mixed reviews initially. Looks like there's gonna be a S2. I know the guy (Adam Scott) initially from Big Little Lies (which is excellent, 9/10!) but he's also known for Parks & Rec (not seen yet, sposed to be excellent). He popped up in a podcast interview with REM (he's a massive fan) and he chats about each REM album.

Hawkeye - not bad, bit too 'teenage' for my tastes, but some great film-worthy set pieces. Scraped a 7/10

Peacemaker - again, not bad - surprisingly funny and gory, and even touching, but a bit too much filler and the ending seemed rushed (altho the CGI was excellent). 7/10

Dope Sick - very interesting to see how big pharma works, and manages to be a powerful family drama. Technically, a touch too dumbed-down to be excellent (if only the Mindhunter team had made it!). Timelines make it a bit overly confusing, but it's very well crafted. 7/10

The Beatles - Get Back - I'm only a casual fan, but apart from skipping forward occasionally (mainly through ep2) this is very well made and very interesting for music fans. Overall, an episode too long for me, although I see some fans are wanting an even longer cut! 8/10

Station Eleven - starts well, it's another mixed up timeline (why?!) with some interesting twists, but a bit too repetitive and drawn out. 6/10

The OA - well acted, surprisingly grim for a teen drama, and very intriguing at first, but it unfolds too slowly and I had to FF through S2. 6/10

Sense8 - incredibly ambitious with a huge budget, but some dodgy acting (why?!) and too many pop video style sequences (like the Wachowski's own Matrix rave scene). Very interesting premise, with some good action sequences, but it all becomes too stagey and repetitive in S2 and drowns in hippy mumbojumbo (again, like the Matrix sequels). The final wrap up movie was just a massive EU holiday party for the whole crew! When they get it right, it's actually quite powerful & emotional, and obviously made with so much passion & love, but later it all becomes too contrived. 6/10 (with finger on FF).
Apostate

Re: New US TV Shows 2019 (onwards)

Post by Apostate »

I'm really enjoying AMC's spaghetti western series That Dirty Black Bag
Boink!

Post by Boink! »

Thoroughly enjoying Severance, just finished episode 7.
Woz

Post by Woz »

Severance has been brilliant! We were on the edge of our seats during the finale...roll on season 2!
Wooglie

Post by Wooglie »

Good to see people enjoying Severance as much as I did.
driver8

Post by driver8 »

Continued on the new site >

TELEVISION