Panasonic remotes unwanted link

Discuss all audio, display and playback hardware here

Moderators: cjanderson, The Bear, Bish, Kryten, driver8

Raigmore

Panasonic remotes unwanted link

Post by Raigmore »

I reorganized my home cinema arrangement for our second home and encountered an unexpected problem. The set-up includes a Panasonic 4K BD player but it will not play Region 1 DVDs of which I have many. These are mostly TV serials and older films that I am NOT planning to upgrade to blu-ray.

I thought I had a simple solution when I installed my old and perfectly working multi-region Panasonic DVD player. But pressing the power button in either Panasonic remote switches on BOTH of them. The 4K player is connected to HDMI 1 of my TV and the DVD player to HDMI 4.

Is there some way that I can "unlink" the two remote controls so that each works only with its own device?
shteve_

Re: Panasonic remotes unwanted link

Post by shteve_ »

If they're both using the same IR control set, then I'd say there's not much you can do via the Pana remotes. Do they support CEC so the TV remote might help?
I've got a signature and an avatar but not access to my old account :|
driver8

Post by driver8 »

Very low tech, but simply a piece of masking tape to swap between the 2 machines - placed over the IR sensor ?

Otherwise, not sure a learning remote would work - likely the same problem.

Are they old models ? If one machine is networked, I wonder if you can get a phone app ?
AdamBrunt

Post by AdamBrunt »

Raigmore

Post by Raigmore »

driver8 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:06 am Very low tech, but simply a piece of masking tape to swap between the 2 machines - placed over the IR sensor ?
Your "very low tech" solution worked perfectly. I cut out an L-shaped piece of cardboard about 3 cms across from a thick Amazon delivery box, printed "DON'T THROW THIS AWAY!" in indelible ink on it (just in case someone had bright ides that it was rubbish) and placed it in the drawer of the cabinet used to house the set-up. All I have to do now is to place that piece of cardboard over the remote sensor of the player that I am not using; it then does not respond to either remote control.

I already tried it and works perfectly. Driver8, buy yourself a drink on me ;) :thumbs: .
driver8

Post by driver8 »