The Official Sky HD Thread and FAQ

Discuss all audio, display and playback hardware here

Moderators: cjanderson, The Bear, Bish, Kryten, driver8

GregB

Post by GregB »

douglasb wrote:Is there a good time of day to get in touch with the call centre (ie. Better chance of speaking to UK peeps)?

For bonus points, let me know what your current deal is so I have an idea of what counts as a good deal for telly/broadband.
It's been a while since I called but I always rang inthe afternoon as that would get through to the Scotland call centre.
AdamBrunt

Post by AdamBrunt »

Would concur with GregB. Whenever I have had to call them, it has always been later in the day and always seemed to get through to the Scottish call centre.

Which reminds me ... I need to call them to cancel the SkyQ installation which they still won't have done 3 months after ordering ( having taken the money for the mini boxes months ago )
Stevie G

Re: The Official Sky HD Thread and FAQ

Post by Stevie G »

How do we report spammers on this new format forum?
shteve_

Post by shteve_ »

Click the upside triangle with the exclamation mark in it, next to the quote button.
I've got a signature and an avatar but not access to my old account :|
Stevie G

Post by Stevie G »

Thanks. Looks like this spammer has already been reported, just not banned yet
Raigmore

Post by Raigmore »

I received an Email from Sky advising me how to upgrade the PQ of my HDR Compatible LG OLED TV. I followed their simple instructions and while the system accepted the upgrade from 1080i to 2160i, Sky's suggested 10-bit colour did not work. The system suggested that I try 8-bit instead which I did, and it works fine.

But there is another issue. SKY's instructions were to watch in HDR Effect picture mode setting. So, I changed from the current Vivid setting to HDR but the picture got darker and more contrasty in the latter. I liked the Vivid better and so reverted to it but retaining the 2160i in 8-bit colour setting.

Is it just me or have others noticed something similar?
shteve_

Post by shteve_ »

I thought the vivid setting was generally the overblown, showy settings that are used to attract people in shops but nobody actually uses at home. The point of HDR is to create a more contrasty picture and is likely more like what it's supposed to look like, though using an effect which emulates HDR can have differing effects (the one on my Philips OLED is pretty decent, think even Vincent Teoh was impressed with it even if he still recommended disabling it). IIRC most of the HDR emulations do as you're seeing; make the whole picture more contrasty rather than just making the bright points brighter.
I've got a signature and an avatar but not access to my old account :|
aliman5000

Post by aliman5000 »

Raigmore wrote:I received an Email from Sky advising me how to upgrade the PQ of my HDR Compatible LG OLED TV. I followed their simple instructions and while the system accepted the upgrade from 1080i to 2160i, Sky's suggested 10-bit colour did not work. The system suggested that I try 8-bit instead which I did, and it works fine.

But there is another issue. SKY's instructions were to watch in HDR Effect picture mode setting. So, I changed from the current Vivid setting to HDR but the picture got darker and more contrasty in the latter. I liked the Vivid better and so reverted to it but retaining the 2160i in 8-bit colour setting.

Is it just me or have others noticed something similar?
What LG TV is it? You shouldn’t need to enable any HDR effect settings and instead just use Film Maker mode or similar.

Side note you are a brave man using Vivid picture mode but you’re right, it will certainly be the brightest mode available, HDR or otherwise.

Oh and 10 bit should work if it is a new-ish LG.
This place looks terrible in widescreen...
The Bear

Post by The Bear »

I always go to the best settings for my TV, not the other way round.

I recently re-did all my LG B8 OLED settings based on a post I found on an AV forum. Some guy has done the full professional colour calibration on his LG and posted his recommended settings. The only one I changed is Warm2 to Warm1 as it was far too yellow looking for me. Looks very good on all inputs other than that though.