Sony smart TVs and Prime Video issues

Discuss all audio, display and playback hardware here

Moderators: Kryten, Alan b

Raigmore

Sony smart TVs and Prime Video issues

Post by Raigmore »

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced the problem below. It seems to be specific to Sony TVs.

About 18 month ago I bought a Sony BRAVIA KD49XG9005BU 4K television for our master bedroom. It was one of 3 Smart 4K TVs that we bought at the time, the other two being a 65" LG OLED and a 40" Panasonic job.

We were stuck in India for 11 months due to the COVID situation and I finally got back to the UK 4 days ago. After I installed the prompted updates on the TV, the LG and Panasonic have been working perfectly. The Sony on the other hand, appears to be working with everything except Prime Video and You Tube channels even afterthe prompted upgrade. If I try, "Internet Not connected" error message (without a number) comes up. And yet, Netflix, Google Play etc work very well, as does Sky Q. I am using Q with the main TV (LG) hardwired to the router while the other two (including the errant Sony) via Powerline Adapters.

The Sky Broadband on my desktop is working very well. The Laptop picks up a strong WiFi signal. So, there is NO internet problem.

I checked with Amazon Prime and Sky Broadband and they both hinted that it could be a licencing issue between Amazon & Sony. Richer Sounds, from whom I bought all the kit, more or less conformed it.

Anyone here know the root of the problem and how it could be solved? It is only a quetion of getting Prime Video and You Tube on one TV.
driver8

Re: Sony smart TVs and Prime Video issues

Post by driver8 »

Hey, welcome back, Raigmore. Hope your mother-in-law is well.

I don't even own a smart TV, but does it have builtin Chromecast ? (Or any kind of cast ?) If so, you can use your phone app for YouTube (and Prime) to cast to the TV (it uses your wifi). An annoying workaround faff, admittedly.

Are Sony still making TVs? I've lost track (and google results are confusing). If they've stopped, and the apps have not been working for a while, perhaps an update/licence is unlikely?
Wooglie

Post by Wooglie »

If you want an easy (but not cheap) fix I'd just buy an amazon fire TV stick or equivalent.
Raigmore

Post by Raigmore »

driver8 wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:30 pm Hey, welcome back, Raigmore. Hope your mother-in-law is well.

Are Sony still making TVs?
Hi, Thanks. My Mother-in-law is stable but was not fit to travel and so my wife remained with her back in India. I am returning to India at the end of November and all being well, all of us are coming back to the UK at the end of March 2022. From then on, it will be 6 months in each place.

AFAIK, Sony are very much still making TVs.
Wooglie wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:42 pm If you want an easy (but not cheap) fix I'd just buy an amazon fire TV stick or equivalent.
Yes, I have thought of a 4K Amazon stick, about £30. But if I go that route, how should I access Netflix and other internet based Apps that ARE working properly now? Through the stick or by direct TV access? Right now, only Prime Video and You Tube are not working.
Wooglie

Post by Wooglie »

Raigmore wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:26 pm Yes, I have thought of a 4K Amazon stick, about £30. But if I go that route, how should I access Netflix and other internet based Apps that ARE working properly now? Through the stick or by direct TV access? Right now, only Prime Video and You Tube are not working.
Up to you. I do everything through my Fire Stick even though my TV supports some apps, but not others.
Raigmore

Post by Raigmore »

Wooglie wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:21 pm Up to you. I do everything through my Fire Stick even though my TV supports some apps, but not others.
So, I can access Netflix, Google Play etc direct through the TV Apps and limit use of the Firestick to Prime Video and You Tube?

The way it is set-up in the bedroom, audio from Netflix and other TV integrated Apps comes out of the HDMI eARC link into the Sony HT ZF9 soundbar; I am also uing compatible wireless rear speakers. There is a vacant HDMI input on the TV and if I plug the 4K Fire Stick into it, will the audio from Prime and Youtube be able to use the eARC link?
Stevie G

Post by Stevie G »

Have you had a look too see if there is a firmware update that it needs? My Sony bravia Android tv had one recently but I had to do it manually by downloading from the Sony site to ausb stock and putting it into the back of the telly
PSN Gamertag: NoMrMoreNiceGuy
It's all about the scrobbling...
Stevie G

Post by Stevie G »

Wooglie

Post by Wooglie »

Raigmore wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:10 pm
Wooglie wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:21 pm Up to you. I do everything through my Fire Stick even though my TV supports some apps, but not others.
So, I can access Netflix, Google Play etc direct through the TV Apps and limit use of the Firestick to Prime Video and You Tube?

The way it is set-up in the bedroom, audio from Netflix and other TV integrated Apps comes out of the HDMI eARC link into the Sony HT ZF9 soundbar; I am also using compatible wireless rear speakers. There is a vacant HDMI input on the TV and if I plug the 4K Fire Stick into it, will the audio from Prime and Youtube be able to use the eARC link?
I would assume so, but I don't have your setup to confirm either way. I plug everything into my amp and that is connect to the TV.
Raigmore

Post by Raigmore »

Wooglie wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:40 am I don't have your setup to confirm either way. I plug everything into my amp and that is connect to the TV.
That's what I have done in the lounges both here and in India. But in the bedroom, where the errant Sony TV is located, there is not enough room for an Amp plus wired connections. Therefore, I opted for a Sony HT ZF9 soundbar with optional but dedicated wireless rear speakers.

The 4K BD player and Sky Q box are plugged into the Soundbar's HDMI inputs and the HDMI out from the bar goes to the HDMI eARC port of the TV. That way, the cable just carries the video to the TV with those devices but the eARC facility functions fully with integrated TV programmes like Netflix, Google Play and (used to) Prime Video, You Tube etc.

The soundbar even has an anlog input so that I can use my old NAD C540 CD player to listen to CD music. I prefer to keep the excellent DAC of the dedicated CD player active. I have also plugged in Sennheiser HDR175 wireless headphones to the TV's jack; switchng off the soundbar immediately activates the TV's speakers and diverts the audio from all sources through the TV to the headphones, which have a superb enhanced surround sound facility of their own. If I want to listen to CD music via the headphones, there is a separate Optical cable running direct from the CD player to the headphone (which has both optical and analog inputs) bypassing the TV.

With this arrangement, there are 2 unused HDMI inputs in the TV, one of which can be used for the 4k Firestick.
Raigmore

Post by Raigmore »

OK, thanks for the link. From it I downloaded the latest firmware update to a memory stick and plugged it into the USB port of the TV. But I don't know how to extract it from the stick and install it into the TV.

I am unable to access the URL directly from the TV's internet browser app as it is not working properly, showing error messages.
GalaxyBlue

Post by GalaxyBlue »

Hi Raigmore,

There is a guide here of how to update via USB :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYl3ShC-T3Y

Make sure the USB drive is not formatted in NTFS - use Fat32 instead. Also, name the USB drive as "sony update"
Raigmore

Post by Raigmore »

GalaxyBlue wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:07 pm Hi Raigmore,

There is a guide here of how to update via USB :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYl3ShC-T3Y

Make sure the USB drive is not formatted in NTFS - use Fat32 instead. Also, name the USB drive as "sony update"
Thanks. I saw that video earlier, did exactly the same thing but when I plugged in the FAT32 formatted and labelled USB drive, instead of the blue screen with the ongoing update, another one appeared. It recognozed the drive but asked me where I wanted to open it - giving a choice of Photos or Video apps already on the TV. I did not know how to proceed from there.
Raigmore

Post by Raigmore »

PROBLEM SORTED! I phoned an IT friend and he felt that the problem might be a failure of automatic update of the Sony TV. Earlier, I had searched for and failed to find the on-TV link for a manual update; he took me through the various sub-menus and we discovered that the manual update could only be accessed through the "About" link in the Settings Menu of the TV. I used that and the update took about 20 minutes but now everything works just fine. I refrained from ordering the 4K Fire Stick till I had spoken to this guy and so saved £30.

Thanks for everyone here for trying to help. :thumbs:
Stevie G

Post by Stevie G »

Excellent! Glad you got it resolved!