Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Home Entertainment Hardware forum

Notices

Old 19-10-2019, 07:46   #1
Raigmore
Ambassador to Earth

HDMI 1.3 to 1.4 or higher converter?

After planning and deciding upon brand new Home Cinema systems when we move into our flat in Bexhill, I looked at my older kit and thought what to do with them. The wife suggested installing them in the third (guest) bedroom and I thought it was a great idea rather than dispose of perfectly working kit. But there appears to be an unexpected problem.

The old system is centered around my Onkyo HTX-22HD 2.1 that consists of a Subwoofer/Receiver and 2 satellite speakers. It has 2 HDMI inputs and an HDMI out. The other units that I plan to plug into it are around the same generation and so should work fine. But we are also getting Sky Q in the flat I was also hoping to place one of the mini-boxes in the guest room and plug it to the old Onkyo. But a friend, with whom I discussed the plan, shook his head and said " Onkyo system only has HDMI 1.3 which means that it only supports HDCP 1.2. Sky Q mini boxes require a minimum of HDCP 1.4. I do not think that your old system will work with SkyQ."

Is this true? If so, is there a way to solve the problem? I have read about HDMI signal boosters and converters and could one of those help?

Last edited by Raigmore; 19-10-2019 at 07:47.
Raigmore is offline   Reply With Quote