Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Computing Forum

Notices

Old 01-07-2019, 13:08   #1
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Advice on upgrading my Dell XPS laptop hard drive please!

Hi guys

I have a Dell XPS 15 laptop, 2017 model. It had a 512GB drive in it and I'd ike to upgrade it to a 1 or 2TB, but I can't quite work out what type of drive it needs, and if paying a bit more for better performance will be supported on this laptop.

Device Manager shows the drive as an "NBMe PC300 NVMe SK hy", which googling suggests it's a cheaper alternative Dell starting using. With CrystalDiskMark I'm getting around 1700/1800 read and 700/800 write, compared to the much higher speeds available on the Samsung Evo range, etc.

I'd like to give it a performance boost as well as increase capacity, but how do I find out/work out if this laptop will 1) support an Evo 970 and 2) if it'll be able to make use of the faster speeds that drive can manage?

Hope that makes sense.....!

Thanks
Old 01-07-2019, 13:16   #2
bumfrog
bum of the highest order

what do you use it for? It maybe that even an increased speed SSD, you might not even notice the difference.

can you get the specs from the hard drive controller, as that would be the limiting factor I'm guessing.
bumfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 13:34   #3
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

A lot of photo and video editing, it really hangs when I'm moving large files around. I've been trialling DXO photolab 2 but it's pretty slow on it. I know it's a few years old but it's an i7 7700HQ with 16GB ram so should be pretty nippy still.

I need the bigger space regardless, but it's whether to pay more for the faster drives, only worth it if I'll get the performance from it.

I think I've found it on the Dell site; not 100% sure it's that model as they don't have the model number or service tag on them these days! Looks like it is an m2 so should work. Looks like it has a second drive bay as well, I'll have to open it up to have a look.
https://www.dell.com/support/manuals...6a8&lang=en-us
Old 02-07-2019, 04:45   #4
Fatbloke
PSN : Fatbloke-66

For the replacement, I'd definitely look at youtube for people who've tried it already.
This one is for the XPS13 recent model, but may well apply.

The drive in this case is just a chip as opposed to the classic drive we're usually seeing. Seems easy enough though, based on that.
Fatbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
Stevie G (02-07-2019)
Old 02-07-2019, 06:39   #5
bumfrog
bum of the highest order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie G View Post
A lot of photo and video editing, it really hangs when I'm moving large files around. I've been trialling DXO photolab 2 but it's pretty slow on it. I know it's a few years old but it's an i7 7700HQ with 16GB ram so should be pretty nippy still.
ahh ok, then yes I would have said you would notice the improvement. There's also a possibility that more ram might help too...

Quote:
I think I've found it on the Dell site; not 100% sure it's that model as they don't have the model number or service tag on them these days!
You'll be able to find the service tag in the bios. If it is the 9570 then here's an exact youtube for that model.

Thanked once by:
Stevie G (02-07-2019)
Old 02-07-2019, 13:29   #6
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Ah, that second video is perfect, exactly the same as mine and pretty much the same drive I want to upgrade with, looks like it will be quite a performance improvement in read and write speeds. I ordered a cheapy torq pack from Ebay last night, should be here by the weekend. Not sure I an stretch to the RAM upgrade as well, may leave that for now and see how the new drive improves things.
Old 02-07-2019, 13:45   #7
bumfrog
bum of the highest order

Quote:
Ah, that second video is perfect, exactly the same as mine and pretty much the same drive I want to upgrade with, looks like it will be quite a performance improvement in read and write speeds. I ordered a cheapy torq pack from Ebay last night, should be here by the weekend. Not sure I an stretch to the RAM upgrade as well, may leave that for now and see how the new drive improves things.
ram is a nice to have, check task manager when you are doing your most intensive stuff and you can see how much ram is being used and if you'll benefit from an upgrade or not.

Have fun
Old 06-07-2019, 09:28   #8
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

The upgrade was fairly straight forward. I upgraded the Wi-Fi adapter as well.

The only issue I'm having is installing windows 10 pro. I have a pro license that I bought off group for Ł20 but it can only be used on a clean install, so I was going to use this upgrade as the opportunity to do it now. The trouble is, my dell had a windows 10 home digital license embedded and I just can't get it to over ride and install pro during the installation process.

I've tried using a EI.cfg and PID.txt file but it just still installs home and won't let me upgrade to pro.
Old 07-07-2019, 07:45   #9
Chris Locke
Making a 1% improvement

Thanked 1,575 Times in 513 Posts
In Control Panel, System then Security, do you get the option to change your product key?

https://snag.gy/Rz7HgX.jpg

Ignore the 'change settings' as thats just the domain stuff (which you don't get in Home anyway) but you either get a shield on its own looking bored ([1]) or it says 'Activate Windows' with a shield. https://snag.gy/qLgCio.jpg

In that dialog, you should be able to change the product key. It might moan that its already in use, but you should be OK.

https://snag.gy/gpJC2m.jpg

Last edited by Chris Locke; 07-07-2019 at 07:48.
Chris Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 18:25   #10
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Yes, I try that but I get this message;

When I contacted the Groupon seller I bought them from they said they cannot be used to upgrade from Home to Pro and can only be used on a clean install. I know it works as I used it on my Microserver before I rebuild that with Ubuntu, and the other two I've used both worked on new machines, but this Dell digital license is stopping me from being able to enter it on Windows install, and then the license won't allow me to upgrade. Annoying..... I found a solution on a Dell forum but it didn't work for me.
Old 08-07-2019, 19:13   #11
Chris Locke
Making a 1% improvement

Thanked 1,575 Times in 513 Posts
> When I contacted the Groupon seller I bought them from

Aah, so they're dodgy ones.
OK, what I'd try then is get a virtual PC, build 'as new', then use something like Aomei Backupper to 'transfer' the image from the virtual to the Dell. That still might not work*, but worth a go.

*It might work initially, but the point of Win 10 is that it dials home to verify its licence/activation. However, you will have Pro on it. Mine is ... er .... totally legit guv, although does proudly display, "Activate Windows" on the bottom left corner. Apart from that, it works great. Depending on how much that annoys you, might be a 'solution'...
Chris Locke is offline   Reply With Quote