Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Computing Forum

Notices

Old 28-06-2019, 13:21   #1
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Best Teamviewer alternatives for free use?

Hi guys

I'm having an issue with Teamviewer telling me I'm using it for commercial use when I'm not; I'm just using it to access my home computers and occassionally remote in to help my mum, sister, father in law, etc.

What are the best options for alternatives (mostly for Windows machines)? I'm building my mum and sis a cheap media server each so want to be able to remote in to those to manage them, so will need something that's reliable and always runs on start up, and linux option would also be useful as I have a few Linux VMs that I have to remote in via a web ui at the moment.

What are the best options? I'd like it to be able to keep a list of computers (like Teamviewer does) to make it easier, and fairly responsive (as my mum's laptop is already sooooo slow!)
Thanked once by:
powder (03-07-2019)
Old 28-06-2019, 13:27   #2
bumfrog
bum of the highest order

you could try anydesk
bumfrog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 15:01   #3
Wooglie
Rurouni

I started use VNC viewer after team viewer kept telling me I was using it for commercial use.

Last edited by Wooglie; 28-06-2019 at 15:56.
Wooglie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2019, 05:33   #4
JCTurner
Peering in your window...

i have the same problem, used it for years in a similar mode and been flagged as "commercial". Initailly emailed them and they lifted the restrictions after about 2 weeks but it came back again.

Lets be honest, they simply dont want free users anymore.

Im now using Chrome Remote Desktop most of the time.

Visit my Flickr Gallery HERE !
JCTurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2019, 09:21   #5
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Looks like a lot of people have the same problem.

It seems they don't want free users. The trouble is, their prices are stupidly high for any home users, at least if they had a low price for casual users I wouldn't mind paying I use it all the time to connect to my media server and desktop and when I need to sort out a problem for my mum or sister as it's quick and easy, but I can't pay those stupid prices.

I tried Anydesk but didn't really like it, will have a look at a few others before I settle. Just installing Nomachine next, I'll see how that is.

I don't need anything too feature rich, just a few essential; to be able to access unattended without user authorisation, keep a list of computers and it needs screen scaling. My laptop has a 4k screen so trying to manage an old laptop or even a 1080 one on a quarter of the screen it not easy!

I'll add Chrome remote desktop to my list of options to look at, thanks. Might try RealVNC as well, looks like the free one gives you five computers, might be fine for my mum and sister's media servers.
Old 30-06-2019, 10:50   #6
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

I haven't need to use my TeamViewer instances for ages - so not seen the 'nag' at all. And so dread to look, based on the comments here, at the non free price list.

For connections to other machines on a Windows network, the built in Remote Desktop Connection is very good. We use it at work to remotely manage all our servers without issue.
AdamBrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 06:41   #7
bumfrog
bum of the highest order

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBrunt View Post
For connections to other machines on a Windows network, the built in Remote Desktop Connection is very good. We use it at work to remotely manage all our servers without issue.
it's a really good option, just make sure one doesn't use the standard port on the outside router as it's part of the usual scans.
Old 01-07-2019, 13:10   #8
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

I am unable to RDP into my desktop from my laptop for some reason. It starts the RDP session but closes straight down and I've not been able to work out why. The laptop is Windows 10 and the desktop 10 Pro, but I've been able to RDP into anything else.

A moderator has replied on that Teamviewer thread and given a link to use to report if TV thinks you are using it commercial incorrectly if it's any help to anyone;
https://community.teamviewer.com/t5/...ht/true#M29918

I've tried RealVNC which looked pretty useful, until I realised you can only use the free version through their servers, so pointless for LAN connections as it adds a lot of lag, and you have to pay for LAN connections. Should be fine for connecting to my mum and sister's media servers though I guess, and no limit on OS with RealVNC, just a limit on server computers (and it seems my laptop doesn't count as one if its only the client software on it.)

Last edited by Stevie G; 01-07-2019 at 13:13.
Stevie G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 13:18   #9
bumfrog
bum of the highest order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie G View Post
I am unable to RDP into my desktop from my laptop for some reason. It starts the RDP session but closes straight down and I've not been able to work out why. The laptop is Windows 10 and the desktop 10 Pro, but I've been able to RDP into anything else.
do you have passwords set on the computer you are trying to log in to? If not, then this maybe the issue.

Also when using rdp, it's best to run it as a console session if you want to see whats on the current logged in screen, otherwise it will make another log in session.
Old 01-07-2019, 13:43   #10
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

I can RDP in as a console session, but only at the 1080 resolution of that PC, which gives me a quarter size on my 15" laptop with 4K screen. If I try to change the res to full screen it opens, has a brain fart, then closes the session. Does RDP usually do scaling ok?

That's why I've stuck with Teamviewer since getting this laptop a few years ago.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:49   #11
bumfrog
bum of the highest order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie G View Post
I can RDP in as a console session, but only at the 1080 resolution of that PC, which gives me a quarter size on my 15" laptop with 4K screen. If I try to change the res to full screen it opens, has a brain fart, then closes the session. Does RDP usually do scaling ok?

That's why I've stuck with Teamviewer since getting this laptop a few years ago.
have you tried changing the display size in the options out of interest?

Alternatively, try using https://mremoteng.org/ as that seems to scale - It's what I use. It still uses RDP but you can also connect to VNC sessions.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:47   #12
powder
Trusted User

Having exactly the same problem. Even happens now on friends accounts when they drop me a line and give me their logins to help them solve problems. Utter pain in the arse.

Last year they responded to an email request and sorted it quickly. This year i have asked and asked but no response whatsoever - used to be really useful but now utterly pointlesshaving it installed as 15seconds to do anything isn't enough

Not found a good equivalent alternative to the TV of 18months ago
powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 13:14   #13
bumfrog
bum of the highest order

another option might be looking at something like jitsi - it's like an open source skype, but it does have a remote control feature.