Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Old 15-04-2019, 12:47   #1
LeftHandedGuitarist
Single and hating it

Star Wars: The Mandalorian (November 2019)

First footage was shown at Star Wars Celebration this past weekend, and while it wasn't made available to the public the footage has started showing up online. Although not great quality yet.

https://youtu.be/6uc-7qeYx-4

And some a bunch of new pics:
https://www.starwars.com/news/swcc-2...he-mandalorian

Quote:
The Mandalorian stars Pedro Pascal (Narcos) in the title role as a lone Mandalorian gunfighter, alongside Gina Carano (Deadpool), Carl Weathers (Predator), Giancarlo Esposito (Breaking Bad), Emily Swallow (Supernatural), Omid Abtahi (American Gods), Werner Herzog (Grizzly Man), and Nick Nolte (Warrior).
Cast list so far:

Quote:
  • Pedro Pascal as the Mandalorian
  • Gina Carano[5] as Cara Dune
  • Giancarlo Esposito
  • Emily Swallow
  • Carl Weathers as Greef Carga
  • Omid Abtahi
  • Werner Herzog
  • Nick Nolte
  • Taika Waititi as an IG-88 assassin droid
Sounds like the show is going back to Star Wars' practical SFX roots too.

Quote:
The main character’s ship, the Razorcrest, was a practical model, not a computer-generated effect. For the completely new ship, ILM model maker John Goodson built the craft using old-school techniques combined with cutting-edge 3D printing and LEDs for the engine lighting effects. Meanwhile, special effects legend John Knoll crafted a special motion-control rig in his garage so the model could be used for composite shots. It was important to pay homage to the tradition of using practical effects to ground Star Wars in reality but, like each Star Wars film that’s come before, taking advantage of the most current technology available, Favreau said, although the idea for the miniature began “for lighting reference.”

Last edited by LeftHandedGuitarist; 15-04-2019 at 12:50.
LeftHandedGuitarist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2019, 14:02   #2
Jabbitt
Quick Stop Clerk

In regards to the ship miniature, during the panel, Jon said he needed a model ship for lighting reference but in reality, just wanted a model to sit on his desk!
That was a trick he said he learned from director Del Toro. If you want something to take home from your film, tell the crew it has to be done pratically and not in CGI.

Heres a good copy of the one-minute teaser. Sorry, can't embed, it is over on Reddit.

I've seen all the footage shown and I think I'm more excited for this than Episode IX!
Old 15-04-2019, 14:40   #3
lentini
now with added cymbals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabbitt View Post
I've seen all the footage shown and I think I'm more excited for this than Episode IX!
Same.

Maybe they've finally got a writer in John Favreau who knows what the **** they are doing
lentini is offline   Reply With Quote