Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gaming Forums > Video Games Forum

Notices

Old 17-09-2018, 12:32   #21
dmb6473a
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyG View Post
Blimey! ... Although, I need to get caught at least once so I can watch the Piranha death scene. If there's one thing that you can rely on with the Tomb Raider series, they give good, painful death scenes!
It's nothing special to be honest. She just falls asleep as fish swim around here, while the screen goes grey/red and death music plays. It wasn't impressive the first or the seventeenth time...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
dmb6473a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 08:31   #22
TonyG
Xbox Live: Tony Gster

OCD kicked in during last night's session & I went back to 100% the first two areas & get closer to 100% in the third area (denied due to not owning a shotgun yet!), so made no progress with the main storyline...

....I did finally find some piranhas & yes, not the best death scene I've witnessed...
TonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2018, 09:31   #23
TonyG

Had my first technical issue with this last night. When underwater during one of the challenge Tombs, there's a moment when you get caught up in a fast current & Lara is sucked down into another cavern. During this cut-scene, the fans on my Xbox-X start blasting out on full & the console shuts-down with an overheating warning when I reboot.

Tried it several times, switching to the lower-resolution option & every time, it crashed at the exact same moment. Had no other issues so far during the other 22hrs of game-time.

I skipped past it & just carried on with the main missions & despite getting involved in other graphic-heavy scenes, the game ran perfectly?!?
Old 20-09-2018, 09:57   #24
dmb6473a
Trusted User

I finished the main story last night, and have to say that this is going to be my biggest disappointment of the year in gaming. The way that the open world is broken up into smaller chunks just doesn't work for me (God of War did it better). I got bored by the whole thing, and just wanted it over. I haven't even bothered with a number of the challenge tombs.

It'll be going to CEX next week.
Old 20-09-2018, 10:02   #25
Matt KB
Meow meow meow

I agree with that. It's a real downer, it's super mopey, it feels a bit like it's trying to move into Uncharted territory with some of the set pieces (but down in a terrible Temple Run style). Same as you, really bored by it, haven't bothered with the challenge tombs. Didn't bother with the skill tree at all and skipped most of the cutscenes towards the end.

The reboot trilogy is the story about Lara finding her identity. It's funny then that this third version basically doesn't have one.
Old 20-09-2018, 10:19   #26
TonyG

Certainly agree so far that the actual main storyline has been poorer than the previous two. Thankfully when it concentrates on actual "Tomb raiding", it's been better than the previous games IMO. Especially the challenge tombs which have been fun to work out what to do. Nothing too difficult & I've yet to go looking for Youtube solutions, as they have all been logical & satisfying when completed.

When comparing this to the Uncharted series, it's like comparing DC Movies to Marvel. Uncharted is the fun, bubbly Marvel movie & this Tomb Raider is the dark & grim DC Movie... Certainly not the way to take the series forward & if they do make another TR game, it's going to have to be radically different as they have totally run the current gameplay elements into the ground & need something fresh...
Old 20-09-2018, 10:40   #27
Hood
HipHopPotamus

I've been enjoying it but also agree that the story does drag things down. If I'm honest I totally zone out during the cut scenes as they are fairly insufferable. It's not good that on the first run through of a game that you want to skip the cut scenes. With the Uncharted games and The Last of Us I didn't even skip the cut scenes on a second and third run through. The tombs and the crypts are great fun and very reminiscent of the Tomb Raiders of old. As TonyG says they are well designed so they they take some thinking about but can be worked out without the need to seek a guide.

I think that if they want to continue they need to decide what direction to take because currently it is caught halfway between a story driven adventure and an open world exploration game. Personally I think they should commit to the exploration part and broaden out the locations so it's not all set in one place.
Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2018, 10:49   #28
dmb6473a
Trusted User

For me, they just need to make a game that flows well. I don't remember Rise of the Tomb Raider being as "stop/start" as this one is.

Also get rid of this "you need to be at a fast travel point to fast travel to another" business. It's not the first game to do it, but it needs binning. Just let me fast travel to any marker that I've opened.

....and let me see quest markers on the screen, without having to keep pressing the right stick. Games are meant to be fun, not a chore.
Old 20-09-2018, 11:21   #29
Taq
Evil Scientist

Does it suffer from the 'push stick forward to go agonisingly slowly through sand/snow/wind' bits that other TR and Uncharted games do?
Old 20-09-2018, 11:52   #30
dmb6473a
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taq View Post
Does it suffer from the 'push stick forward to go agonisingly slowly through sand/snow/wind' bits that other TR and Uncharted games do?

There's one bit where she loses all of her weapons and you have to stealth through an area, but there's no "I'm badly wounded/drugged, so can only walk at a snails pace" section.
Old 20-09-2018, 11:54   #31
Matt KB
Meow meow meow

My favourite worst bit is the bit that

Old 20-09-2018, 12:13   #32
TonyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt KB View Post
My favourite worst bit is the bit that

Yeah, I'm sure they look exciting to watch to anyone not actually playing those segments & they will look good in the game trailer, but when actually playing them, it's just a visually busy, annoying, push-forward & hit jump occasionally, segment...

Just. Give. Me. LOTS. of. TOMBS. to. RAID! ...
Old Yesterday, 15:24   #33
fivebyfive
Trusted User

I think I'll wait till its on game pass going by the comments on here. Rise didn't have a great story and if this is the worst of the 3

I think the series needs rebooting to find its own identify again. Make the levels like the old games. Some companies can't do the hub world very well, devs fall back on hub world with tons of boring collectables that help you to get XP for upgrades. Focus more of level design not **** for OCD collecters. I think thats the problem with modern game design, its become a crutch for modern game design - the ubisoft effect

The DC vs Marvel film comparison for this against uncharted seems to be spot on.
Old Yesterday, 21:20   #34
Matt KB
Meow meow meow

St Francis Folly. Never been topped.
Old Today, 09:46   #35
fivebyfive
Trusted User