Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-03-2014, 14:52   #61
Aardvark_DK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 1,104
Thanks: 1
Thanked 27 Times in 20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by McD View Post
Right, I'll ask you one thing and make it real easy for you: name me one film that had a longer pornographic shoot than this one (a film which didn't need a second of it).
None, as far as I know. [And I disagree about the necessity of the sex. It had to be there. Yes, I think it could have been far less graphic, but... *shrugs* I don't think it's a big deal. It's about 10 minutes out of 180. Do you complain just as much about violence in movies?] Then, few directors do 100 takes of a scene that lasts a couple of seconds (the last one was probably Chaplin). Or shoot 800 hours of footage for a film that lasts three.

But I STILL don't know what this has to do with the scene in the bar (look at the video Redmosquito provided - do you seriously think 90% of those women look ANYthing like models?). Or where you found the source for your claim that "the director set out to make a lesbian movie before he had a storyline or a source". Please site your source or admit that you just made that up.
Aardvark_DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2014, 15:31   #62
McD
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: London
Posts: 4,475
Thanks: 46
Thanked 75 Times in 56 Posts
So half of the people here don't believe the film needed any sex scenes at all... and he probably then had the longest porno shoot in film history. Which, per minutes on screen, is perhaps the longest shoot by a factor of over 10. You think that's normal? Or obsessive behaviour elsewhere excuses obsessive behaviour with two naked ladies?

The director's plans to make a film on a few subjects which he then all out under the umbrella of a comic book was on a video interview around the time the film came out, but is probably repeated all over the place. If you've seen a minute of him speak, you'll know why I'm not going to sit through it all again just for you. Like Christopher Nolan, he can talk in riddles for two hours without saying a single thing.

As for your 'them girls ain't nothing, I know smokin' hot / Brits are ugly' schtick...
McD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2014, 16:13   #63
Ono
I LIEK JEON JI-HYUN!!!111
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: London(ish)
Posts: 25,391
Thanks: 607
Thanked 285 Times in 156 Posts
I consider it porn too. Certainly the scenes I fast forwarded to were.
Ono is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
LordoftheDance (28-03-2014)
Old 28-03-2014, 17:02   #64
Hernster
Toon Army Member
 
Hernster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Virginia
Posts: 5,089
Thanks: 223
Thanked 184 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ono View Post
Certainly the scenes I fast forwarded to were.
Hernster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2014, 17:21   #65
Robby
XBL- iRobz PSN - PSiRobz
 
Robby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: ‎"Wearing out more picks than Hendrix on a Caffeine drip"
Posts: 8,628
Thanks: 272
Thanked 159 Times in 95 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by McD View Post
The guy made a lesbian porn film when he didn't have to.
I don't see it myself. Sure, there were graphic sex scenes but for me they added so much to the impact and emotion at the end of the film. Most Hollywood sex scenes seem so staged whereas these seemed genuinely authentic (even if at the detriment of the actors)


It's sad to label it a 'lesbian porn film' I think there is so much more to this film than that. I think it's a really authentic, evocative and poignant film about finding your identity, about young love and stepping into adulthood.
__________________
Letterboxd Film Diary
Robby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2014, 18:01   #66
McD
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: London
Posts: 4,475
Thanks: 46
Thanked 75 Times in 56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby View Post
It's sad to label it a 'lesbian porn film' I think there is so much more to this film than that. I think it's a really authentic, evocative and poignant film about finding your identity, about young love and stepping into adulthood.
I actually agree. Remember I came on to say it was the second best film of the decade. And it didnt get there by feeling inauthentic. But the sex scenes were pornographic and at an unnecessary level imho. For me, it actually hurt the film. And then you hear that, despite all that, the filming went waaay beyond, probably the most gruelling sex shoot actresses may have ever been put through... I would call it over the top.

Would gladly watch a cut with all that taken out. And I have nothing against lesbian porn.
McD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2014, 18:10   #67
Aardvark_DK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 1,104
Thanks: 1
Thanked 27 Times in 20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by McD View Post
You think that's normal?
I don't think anything about this film or the way it was made is normal. And I consider that a good thing. And even if the two women said they'd never work with the director again, they're clearly pretty happy/proud of the result.
Quote:
The director's plans to make a film on a few subjects which he then all out under the umbrella of a comic book was on a video interview around the time the film came out, but is probably repeated all over the place.
I'll just leave that sentence right there. But thanks for admitting that you made up that claim.

So I take it you're still going to pretend that 90% of the girls in the bar looked like models? Cool.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby View Post
I don't see it myself. Sure, there were graphic sex scenes but for me they added so much to the impact and emotion at the end of the film.
Yep. The "second break-up" scene would not have worked nearly as well without them.

Christ, when I think of all the utterly pointless sex and nudity in something like "Game of Thrones" (and don't get me wrong, I love that series) and, like you said, so many staged scenes in Hollywood film... And here we have a movie about an intense physical relationship and people (or at least one pretty tiresome troll) are upset that 5% of it is devoted to sex.

'Cause we all know that when we fall intensely in love, sex matters not the tiniest bit...

Last edited by Aardvark_DK; 28-03-2014 at 18:12.
Aardvark_DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 22:14   #68
Pentasa
Originally joined Mar '01
 
Pentasa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: On top of a Snow covered Mountain
Posts: 3,143
Thanks: 62
Thanked 26 Times in 24 Posts
Finally got round to watching this tonight and while I enjoyed it and it was well acted it didn't think it added anything new to the genre, I'm another one who felt the film didn't need the graphic sex scenes, I think we are all adult enough to know what happens in a grown up relationship when two people meet and fall in love

FWIW The lesbian bar didn't have the clientele of any Lesbian Bar I've ever been in (my mate used to be a Door Man)
Pentasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2014, 08:49   #69
driver8
eviscerate your memory
 
driver8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Malé, Maldives
Posts: 11,071
Thanks: 2,163
Thanked 2,352 Times in 1,002 Posts
As we were discussing earlier in the thread, I think it's a missed opportunity and wish the sex scenes were less porny and more realistic.

Here's a good new review specifically of the sex scenes - Blue is the Warmest Color - The SSL Review

From an excellent blog by the director of Science Sex and the Ladies (2013) [IMDB] - a documentary that attempts to dispel the Hollywood myths about p-in-v sex.

We blog critically on a specific intersection of science, sexuality, and feminism; particularly paying attention to how female sexual response is discussed, portrayed, and studied in our culture. So...if you're interested in science, sex, lady stuff, or indie movie making...this is the blog for you.
driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2014, 09:40   #70
Ratfink
Cranky ol' dog
 
Ratfink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: a 42nd St. fleapit XBL: Martyrs
Posts: 7,164
Thanks: 202
Thanked 685 Times in 303 Posts
It's a dreadful review. Rating a film in vulvas? Yeah, that's not tacky at all.
Ratfink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2014, 10:10   #71
driver8
eviscerate your memory
 
driver8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Malé, Maldives
Posts: 11,071
Thanks: 2,163
Thanked 2,352 Times in 1,002 Posts
hehe ... well it's not a film-review site, it's a sex blog ! And you didn't even mention that it only reviews the sex scenes and not the movie as a whole !
driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2014, 10:19   #72
Ratfink
Cranky ol' dog
 
Ratfink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: a 42nd St. fleapit XBL: Martyrs
Posts: 7,164
Thanks: 202
Thanked 685 Times in 303 Posts
Yeah, I probably shouldn't have clicked at work.. But any site that reviews only sex scenes is itself tacky, even when written from a feminist perspective.

I honestly do not get the fuss over this film - it was three hours of boring. The sex scenes were nothing. Their relationship was not in the slightest bit interesting. I found the whole thing the height of tedium.
Ratfink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2014, 16:18   #73
baloobas
Resident Geebag
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: London
Posts: 1,408
Thanks: 1
Thanked 83 Times in 59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratfink View Post
I honestly do not get the fuss over this film - it was three hours of boring. The sex scenes were nothing. Their relationship was not in the slightest bit interesting. I found the whole thing the height of tedium.
You sir, have a cold, cold heart.
I bet you laughed when Bambi's mother got shot.
baloobas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2014, 11:05   #74
driver8
eviscerate your memory
 
driver8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Malé, Maldives
Posts: 11,071
Thanks: 2,163
Thanked 2,352 Times in 1,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by driver8 View Post
As we were discussing earlier in the thread, I think it's a missed opportunity and wish the sex scenes were less porny and more realistic.

Here's a good new review specifically of the sex scenes - Blue is the Warmest Color - The SSL Review

From an excellent blog by the director of Science Sex and the Ladies (2013) [IMDB] - a documentary that attempts to dispel the Hollywood myths about p-in-v sex.

We blog critically on a specific intersection of science, sexuality, and feminism; particularly paying attention to how female sexual response is discussed, portrayed, and studied in our culture. So...if you're interested in science, sex, lady stuff, or indie movie making...this is the blog for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratfink View Post
It's a dreadful review. Rating a film in vulvas? Yeah, that's not tacky at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by driver8 View Post
hehe ... well it's not a film-review site, it's a sex blog ! And you didn't even mention that it only reviews the sex scenes and not the movie as a whole !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratfink View Post
Yeah, I probably shouldn't have clicked at work.. But any site that reviews only sex scenes is itself tacky, even when written from a feminist perspective.

I honestly do not get the fuss over this film - it was three hours of boring. The sex scenes were nothing. Their relationship was not in the slightest bit interesting. I found the whole thing the height of tedium.
Hey guys - slightly OT, but Trisha over at the SSL blog dropped in a couple of weeks back, as her site monitoring stats must have revealed a few visitors originating from here at TDF.

You can read her comments here - 6.06.2014 - My Class, Questioned
driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2014, 16:35   #75
Ratfink
Cranky ol' dog
 
Ratfink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: a 42nd St. fleapit XBL: Martyrs
Posts: 7,164
Thanks: 202
Thanked 685 Times in 303 Posts
That was nicer than expected.

I feel I should address a few points though. Firstly, yes, I am a cranky old dog - guilty as charged. And I'm often flippant. However, I didn't have an issue with it being a 'slow, artsy French movie' as was implied - I watch a lot of films that fall under that category - I had an issue because I spent three hours with characters I felt no compassion or affinity for. I recently watched the three hour director's cut of Betty Blue, having only previously seen the theatrical cut, and that was a far more invigorating, passionate dissection of a doomed relationship, with a star-making performance from Béatrice Dalle. Point being I think the sex scenes oversold an underwhelming character drama.

But I digress. Had I read the post leading to the review, or the review itself, properly, I may not have responded so critically. Hard to say, I can be cranky, but I doff my cap to Tricia in apology and respectfully accept the poor vulva rating.
Ratfink is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
driver8 (29-07-2014)
Old 29-07-2014, 19:08   #76
driver8
eviscerate your memory
 
driver8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Malé, Maldives
Posts: 11,071
Thanks: 2,163
Thanked 2,352 Times in 1,002 Posts

driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Silly Question? - Does a colour laser use colour when printing Black? Tempest Computing Forum 2 29-06-2008 19:40
Photoshop help needed - turning full colour into 2 spot colour for printing Guest 32699 Computing Forum 2 24-05-2004 14:52

All times are GMT. The time now is 14:54.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018 Poisonous Monkey Ltd. Part of The Digital Fix Network