Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Home Entertainment Hardware forum

Notices

Old 08-10-2012, 16:03   #1
Guest 29329
Trusted User

Audio settings on Sony BDP-S790 Bluray player

Have just bought one of these and want it to output Blu Ray audio as LPCM via HDMI (my amp does not decode HD audio, so this is the only way I can get HD audio output).

However, there's a couple of settings that seem to crossover, so a bit confused (and my head hurts after reading some detail on a number of other AV websites)

I think I need the following settings:

Audio (HDMI) - set to PCM (would seem to to be logical)

BA Audio MIX - not sure on this one - manual suggests that it needs to be switched to off to output HD audio, but other sites suggest that the setting will have a bearing on whether it is outputting PCM or bitstream audio. I thought it just controlled whether you get the nice bleeps when you press a button on a menu....

Dolby Digital/DTS - doesn't matter as this is only used on DIGITAL OUT (optical/coax)

DTS Neo:6 - No idea. Think I will just leave this off.

Downmix - Stereo or Surround. No idea - what if I don't want anything downmixed? There isn't an off setting, so don't know if this will have any bearing

Can anyone help, particularly on the Mix and Downmix settings?
Guest 29329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:43   #2
arma_uk
Trusted User

in my sony 380 i left it as it is, so i select a non-HD audio stream on the discs if there's one available. not had a film yet that hasn't given me DD or DTS.
arma_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:58   #3
Guest 29329
Trusted User

Hi

Thanks for the reply - but this is about me wanting the HD audio, not the 'normal' DD/DTS. I have to get the player to decode it and send as multi channel LPCM audio, as that's the only way my system will take it, but the settings in the manual are less than clear.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:58   #4
charlie angel
Trusted Schmoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by willncc View Post
BA Audio MIX - not sure on this one - manual suggests that it needs to be switched to off to output HD audio, but other sites suggest that the setting will have a bearing on whether it is outputting PCM or bitstream audio. I thought it just controlled whether you get the nice bleeps when you press a button on a menu....
The mix setting controls multiple audio streams - for example, if a disc had a picture in picture audio commentary, you would most likely need to set this option to 'on' to make use of it. For your purposes, set it to off.

For Downmix, set it to Surround - it means that a 2 channel audio source can still have Pro Logic/Pro Logic II etc applied to it for a pseudo surround mode. Obviously if you only want the 2 channels, set to Stereo.

With HDMI audio set to PCM, that should be it. What amp are you using?
charlie angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:29   #5
Guest 29329
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie angel View Post
The mix setting controls multiple audio streams - for example, if a disc had a picture in picture audio commentary, you would most likely need to set this option to 'on' to make use of it. For your purposes, set it to off.
That's the bit that surprised me - didn't think changing this setting altered the nature of the audio - i.e. whether it was proper HD stream or not, just whether you wanted to mix in the secondary audio as well.

Quote:
For Downmix, set it to Surround - it means that a 2 channel audio source can still have Pro Logic/Pro Logic II etc applied to it for a pseudo surround mode. Obviously if you only want the 2 channels, set to Stereo.

With HDMI audio set to PCM, that should be it. What amp are you using?
Right, so this only applies to sources that originate as 2 channel - that makes sense. Given it was called downmix, I thought it was doing something to a full signal and mixing it down.

I used to be quite good with all this stuff, but it's got way more complicated since my original LD days...

The amp is a Sony Home Theatre Stand - so an equipment rack with a full 5.1 amp and speaker/sub set up built in (missus decreed I had to get rid of the floorstanders and massive sub ). It'll decode standard DD/DTS fine, but not HD, hence the need for LPCM. RGH-510 or something like that...
Old 09-10-2012, 12:42   #6
charlie angel
Trusted Schmoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by willncc View Post
That's the bit that surprised me - didn't think changing this setting altered the nature of the audio - i.e. whether it was proper HD stream or not, just whether you wanted to mix in the secondary audio as well.
I'm guessing, but I presume it's a too much bandwidth thing (although I'm happy to be corrected)

Have you had a chance to have a play yet? Any luck?
Old 09-10-2012, 13:50   #7
Guest 29329
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie angel View Post
I'm guessing, but I presume it's a too much bandwidth thing (although I'm happy to be corrected)

Have you had a chance to have a play yet? Any luck?
Tonight!

Took delivery this morning of a new 51" samsung, so evening of geeky bliss ahead.

Too dark, too light, too much red, too much blue...!! Hooray for setup discs..!
Old 10-10-2012, 17:45   #8
charlie angel
Trusted Schmoozer

Did you have any luck bud?
Old 10-10-2012, 18:34   #9
Guest 29329
Trusted User

Yup - all good, thanks for the input

Although I have now developed a healthy paranoia of screen burn in - 1st plasma I've owned, and didn't even occur to me when I ordered it...just saw big telly, good reviews, great price...now going to be 'telly content' police for the next 200 hours of use!!
Old 11-10-2012, 09:02   #10
charlie angel
Trusted Schmoozer

Excellent, glad it's all working nicely
Old 04-11-2012, 15:48   #11
Withnail73
Trusted User

You fellas sound like you know what you're talking about. I'm looking for some advice on my S790 and my Pioneer VSX100 (connected to 2 speakers only).

I have the audio for BDP connected to the amp using the optical cable and have noticed the following:

* BD discs playing 5.1 DTS = perfectly in sync with picture
* BD discs playing 2.0 or less = audio slightly ahead (indicated by echo)
* DVD discs 5.1 or less = audio slightly ahead (indicated by echo)

Not sure if I have any DVDs with 5.1 DTS to test whether they are ok, but what gives? Is there a setting on the BD that will remedy the non DTS audio?

BTW - prior to switching to BD my Sony DVD player showed no audio-sync problems at all via the amp - that was connected via the phonos.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Withnail73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:47   #12
charlie angel
Trusted Schmoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Withnail73 View Post
You fellas sound like you know what you're talking about. I'm looking for some advice on my S790 and my Pioneer VSX100 (connected to 2 speakers only).

I have the audio for BDP connected to the amp using the optical cable and have noticed the following:

* BD discs playing 5.1 DTS = perfectly in sync with picture
* BD discs playing 2.0 or less = audio slightly ahead (indicated by echo)
* DVD discs 5.1 or less = audio slightly ahead (indicated by echo)

Not sure if I have any DVDs with 5.1 DTS to test whether they are ok, but what gives? Is there a setting on the BD that will remedy the non DTS audio?

BTW - prior to switching to BD my Sony DVD player showed no audio-sync problems at all via the amp - that was connected via the phonos.

Any advice would be appreciated.
I'm not familiar with your amp, but there may be a 'lip-sync' option in the setup menu somewhere, which would allow you to tweak a bit - however, it might affect the sync on all sources (not just the ones that are noticeably ahead) so be careful if making changes.

Other than that, I'm not sure I'm afraid
Old 06-11-2012, 11:56   #13
Withnail73
Trusted User

Thanks for the reply! There's no sync option on the amp I'm afraid. I just find it hard to understand what's the difference between the DTS and the non-DTS.

If I plug that same optical from the TV to amp instead, then EVERYTHING is in sync....alas, the audio drops intermittently on 5.1 signals which I can only assume has to do with the TV (Samsung ES5500), as it happens on HD TV broadcasts, too. Burble....

Thanks anyway.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:10   #14
arma_uk
Trusted User

nm.

Last edited by arma_uk; 06-11-2012 at 12:11.
arma_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 13:39   #15
Guest 29329
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Withnail73 View Post
Thanks for the reply! There's no sync option on the amp I'm afraid. I just find it hard to understand what's the difference between the DTS and the non-DTS.

If I plug that same optical from the TV to amp instead, then EVERYTHING is in sync....alas, the audio drops intermittently on 5.1 signals which I can only assume has to do with the TV (Samsung ES5500), as it happens on HD TV broadcasts, too. Burble....

Thanks anyway.
There is an option with the Sony player to delay audio - it's variable so you can adjust it on the fly (my amp only has on or off for sync, so sometimes not that useful) - not ideal, as you'll have to make adjustments depending on the film and the audio output, but it should help.
Old 06-11-2012, 22:22   #16
Withnail73
Trusted User

Alas that doesn't help either as the audio is ahead of the pic and the av sync only seems to deal with audio delay.
Old 07-11-2012, 20:19   #17
Withnail73
Trusted User

Update: Samsung have fixed the optical output in a firmware update, so problem avoided.