Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 05-10-2011, 10:33   #1
alsemail
Bibble....

Steven Spielberg - A tarnished brand?

Wasn't sure if this belonged in TV or movies as he seems so "active" in both these days, however he is mainly known as a film director.

More and more Movies and TV shows these days seem to be attached to the man himself and lets face it, it's far from the iconic stuff he's mainly remembered for. He's directing less and listed as an exec. producer on many projects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMDB
Jurassic Park IV (executive producer) (announced)

2013 Robopocalypse (producer) (pre-production)

2012 Lincoln (producer) (pre-production)

2012 When Worlds Collide (producer) (pre-production)

???? The Talisman (TV mini-series) (executive producer) (pre-production)

2012 Smash (TV series) (executive producer) (filming)

2012 Men in Black III (executive producer) (post-production)

2011 The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn (producer) (post-production)

2011 Transformers (executive producer) (post-production)

2011 War Horse (producer) (completed)

2011 Locke & Key (TV movie) (executive producer) (completed)

2011 Terra Nova (TV series) (executive producer - 1 episode)
– Genesis: Part 1 & 2 (2011) (executive producer)

2011 Real Steel (executive producer)

2011 Falling Skies (TV series) (executive producer - 9 episodes)
– Mutiny (2011) (executive producer)
– What Hides Beneath (2011) (executive producer)
– Sanctuary: Part 2 (2011) (executive producer)
– Sanctuary: Part 1 (2011) (executive producer)
– Silent Kill (2011) (executive producer)
See all 9 episodes »

2011 Cowboys & Aliens (executive producer)

2011 Transformers: Dark of the Moon (executive producer)

He's directing a few of those as well.

So is he just attaching his name for a paycheck?
He can't have that much input into all those projects while also directing and producing his own movies?
It certainly seems to me he's just selling his name as a draw for the masses but surely he's so beyond "needing" the cash I don't really see the purpose. He's just cheapening the brand he's built up in Hollywood over decades.

Last edited by alsemail; 05-10-2011 at 10:38.
alsemail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 19:51   #2
Apostate
Trusted User

I think certainly a diluted brand - with his name attached to some distinctly mediocre TV.
Apostate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 20:04   #3
scoobyood
Tony Danza

Thanked 1,311 Times in 653 Posts
Keep scrolling down his producer credits.... he has a lot of TV and film crap in there right back to the early 90's. His directing credits also have a smattering of crap, although not to the same extent.
scoobyood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 20:26   #4
statto
Jedi Master

All the pap will be forgotten with the passage of time but the classics will always be remembered.

I think the 'dilution' is down to him trying lots of things because he can. He's directed some of the biggest grossing movies of all time, some of the most popular movies of all time and some of the most acclaimed/awarded movies of all time. Now he can pretty much try whatever he wants and if it's great then fantastic, if it's rubbish he shrugs his shoulders and moves on to the next thing.
statto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 21:44   #5
Niceguygeoff
I Do Deny Them My Essence

Senor Spielbergo has been exec producing films and TV shows for the majority of his career. He may seem to have a lot on the go at the moment, but he's not making every one of them with his bare hands.
Niceguygeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 21:47   #6
aprout
worn to perfection

Location: Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs
Is he just attaching his name for a paycheck? Maybe, but he's so powerful his name can also get pretty much anything greenlit. Perhaps he just likes a lot of different things & is helping his mates get them made?

Executive producer doesn't really mean anything anyway in Hollywood terms. Do Dreamworks or Amblin Entertainment still exist? If so, I'd guess anything that comes from either of them will have his name on it somewhere, even if he's had nothing to do with it.
aprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 22:03   #7
SIMON ADEBISI

Quote:
Originally Posted by statto View Post
All the pap will be forgotten with the passage of time but the classics will always be remembered.

I think the 'dilution' is down to him trying lots of things because he can. He's directed some of the biggest grossing movies of all time, some of the most popular movies of all time and some of the most acclaimed/awarded movies of all time. Now he can pretty much try whatever he wants and if it's great then fantastic, if it's rubbish he shrugs his shoulders and moves on to the next thing.
+1

Anyone with Raiders, Jaws, ET & C3K on their cv can do whatever the **** they want.
SIMON ADEBISI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 22:13   #8
McD
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON ADEBISI View Post
+1

Anyone with Raiders, Jaws, ET & C3K on their cv can do whatever the **** they want.
In the 30 years since the last mentioned film on that list, most of what he has made has been pure dross.
McD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 22:20   #9
SIMON ADEBISI

Quote:
Originally Posted by McD View Post
In the 30 years since the last mentioned film on that list, most of what he has made has been pure dross.
I dont think ive ever read a positive comment from you in the film forum

2008 Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

2005 Munich

2005 War of the Worlds

2004 The Terminal

2002 Catch Me If You Can

2002 Minority Report

2001 A.I. Artificial Intelligence

1998 Saving Private Ryan

1997 Amistad

1997 The Lost World: Jurassic Park

1993 Schindler's List

1993 Jurassic Park

1991 Hook

1989 Always

1989 Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

1987 Empire of the Sun

1985 The Color Purple

1984 Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

5 from 18 are dross in my opinion. Which would you say are dross.
Old 05-10-2011, 22:22   #10
ourmatetone
PSN/XBL/Steam: tone217

Quote:
What about Schindler's List, Jurassic Park, Minority Report and Saving Private Ryan?

The only outright just-plain-bad Spielberg-directed film I've seen is Hook.

[EDIT: Simon beat me to it, and he did his homework.

Worth noting that I've not seen The Terminal, never even heard of Always, thought The Lost World was merely OK (not good enough) and actually liked Indy IV (despite awful CGI monkeys).]

Last edited by ourmatetone; 05-10-2011 at 22:24.
ourmatetone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 22:26   #11
statto
Jedi Master

Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan, Munich, Catch Me If You Can and Minority Report are all within the last 20 years and are all great films. Most people would also add Jurassic Park, Amistad and a couple more Indy movies to the list.

99.9% of directors will never get close to that CV, and that's discounting all the early stuff Simon mentioned (and ignoring the masses of great films he's produced but not directed).

EDIT: Note to self - don't post without refreshing the page.

Last edited by statto; 05-10-2011 at 22:27.
statto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 22:34   #12
baloobas
Resident Geebag

Quote:
That's the thing about about people with terrible taste, they love shouting about it, like it's a badge of pride.
baloobas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:52   #13
H Dot
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprout View Post
but he's so powerful his name can also get pretty much anything greenlit. Perhaps he just likes a lot of different things & is helping his mates get them made?
Thats my thoughts exactly he probably reads a script likes it and helps it get made.
H Dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:41   #14
McD
Trusted User

2008 Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Poop Festival. I had this on disc, and thought I'd give it another go. But as soon as Indy is in toytown and all the TVs are on (or even there full stop!) for no goddang reason before the bomb blast, I realised I was in the hands of a moron and couldn't continue one more minute.

2005 Munich

Not great, maybe not terrible either.

2005 War of the Worlds

Totally half-baked, made when Cruise and Spielberg realised they had a few months free at short notice. Major SFX and set pieces are bizarrely non existent.

2004 The Terminal

Oh my god. Amistad-esque bad. I mean just utterly labotomised trash. Deserving of being in a list of the Worst 10 Films Ever Made for sure.

2002 Catch Me If You Can

Utterly lightweight, utterly watchable, felt like it could have been the work of anyone. Maybe the 2nd best film on this list.

2002 Minority Report

People on here hate me for slagging off this one in particular. I think I was paraphrased with something like 'It totally rips off L.A. Confidential, it can't be good.' I'll stick to that, although it was worse than that sounds.

2001 A.I. Artificial Intelligence

Has some good moments, particularly the last 10/15 minutes. But the whole midsection of the film (anything involving Jude Law) was clearly in need of a total overhaul. It just doesn't work.

1998 Saving Private Ryan

I know this is a fanboy fest, but I agree with the comment (David Mamet?) that the film is an abomination.

1997 Amistad

OK, I've said it on here several times during the last decade. Simply the worst film ever made. Beyond insulting and retarded on every level. But the creme de la creme is the scene where illiterate black slaves find the love of Jesus through a few illustrations in a bible someone has left behind. It has to be seen to be believed.

1997 The Lost World: Jurassic Park

Frighteningly bad. Where do you start? Pete Postlethwaite's 'I've seen enough death' is up there in the worst scenes of his career. And in one doc, someone boasts about the fact that the T-Rex arriving in San Diego was decided on during filming. It was like watching Ferris Bueller saying 'never had one lesson'.

1993 Schindler's List

Great. Thoroughly deserved Oscar.

1993 Jurassic Park

Has some good, even classic moments. Some awful performances though, often badly thought out, some awful editing and all the stunts end the same way, saved by a millisecond, Spielberg-style. That said, putting the exposition in a short film and playing it early, and having your merchandise in the film itself were masterstrokes.

1991 Hook

Total and utter crudliness.

1989 Always

Crud. Lovely score though.

1989 Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Great script, two great lead performances, but maybe hits the post. If I was to sum up Spielberg's awfulness and the flaws in his approach in a single scene, I'll go for Julian Glover choosing the cup of Christ at the end. Again, haven't seen it since it came out (I think), but there's about 300 cups, one is the cup of Christ, but which one? 299 of them are all in the same vein, one sticks out as unique. On pain of death, the villain picks almost randomly from the 299 despite the fact that the entire movie has been his quest for this moment. Nonsensical. Spielberg has been directing with this mentality since 1984.

1987 Empire of the Sun

The main character is so sterlised, the film never can become engaging.

1985 The Color Purple

Dreadful film. Haven't seen it since it came out though.

1984 Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

I'm definitely not the only one who thinks this is overblown crud. Capshaw is appalling. Liked the 'not today' line though.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:02   #15
Gizmo
Gun? Shot.

Jesus McD. I totally accept your right to like and dislike whatever you wish, but your reasons are so spurious.

To take one example - and most of your examples seem to be problems with the script not the directing.

Indiana Jones & The Last Crusade. Glover was blinded by his greed and desire for immortality, getting other people to do a lot of the research and wasn't worthy in the end. Remember, he needed Indy to prove his worthiness by undergoing all the trials. In the end, if you buy into the supernatural ending - it might not have even mattered which cup was chosen as the individual's worth had been measured in the events leading them to the grail.

Last edited by Gizmo; 06-10-2011 at 10:02.
Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:15   #16
Mr Majestik
Trusted User

The original posts pretty pointless anyway because Spielbergs been putting his name on loads of films, TV shows and even computer games since the 80's.

He even made Schindlers List and Jurrasic Park at the same time. Clearly the man has good time management skills.
Mr Majestik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:26   #17
SIMON ADEBISI

Can anyone explain to me why Saving Private Ryan is an abomination?
Old 06-10-2011, 10:30   #18
McD
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
... and most of your examples seem to be problems with the script not the directing.
It's the same thing. If he goes into production with a bad script then that's his fault entirely. If he films a scene that's atrocious on the page and he doesn't seem to notice and/or care, then it's his fault. 100%. Don't know which examples you're using though of me disliking one of his films due to the script.

And you can turn that around and say are his good moments the result of good scripts? Remember, he has access to the (so called) best in the business and often uses several on a single project. He has no excuses. Why he's used the awful David Koepp (the worst screenwriter in Hollywood other than Akiva Goldsman) so often is a mystery though.

Talking of screenwriters, Last Crusade was written by Jeffrey Boam, probably the best screenwriter of that era. I can't believe the Julian Glover scene was written quite as sillily as it turned out, with regards to how he chooses the cup. But I don't know. And Spielberg bares ultimate responsibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
Indiana Jones & The Last Crusade. Glover was blinded by his greed and desire for immortality, getting other people to do a lot of the research and wasn't worthy in the end. Remember, he needed Indy to prove his worthiness by undergoing all the trials. In the end, if you buy into the supernatural ending - it might not have even mattered which cup was chosen as the individual's worth had been measured in the events leading them to the grail.
I'm not sure that comment relates at all to the essential problem I mentioned with the scene.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:33   #19
Jez
Ellis Retire!

Laughable some of those are.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:38   #20
hookbeak
Poor, poor you.

I disagree strongly with almost everything McD has said.

Last edited by hookbeak; 06-10-2011 at 10:39.
hookbeak is offline   Reply With Quote