Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Old 04-04-2011, 20:25   #1
sparkyrob
It was collateral damage

George R R Martin's "Game of Thrones" - for people who have read the books- SPOILERS

Since it won't be long before people start comparing the show to the books, use this thread to post all comments in here that may have even an inkling of spoiler about them.

WARNING - If you haven't read ALL of the books released to date, you may come across massive spoilers. Don't say you weren't warned!

Last edited by sparkyrob; 09-05-2011 at 22:27.
sparkyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 20:36   #2
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

Good idea - I will certainly be reading both threads because I'm fascinated as to what people who haven't read the books will think about the show. The tricky part will be trying not to post in it when I want to tell somebody something, but then realise I can't because it will be too spoilery!

I was very impressed with the 15 minute preview of the show. It managed to skirt the fine line between being very faithful to the book, while also making a number of intelligent changes that are more suited to the TV medium. Although what happened in the opening scene in the forest followed the broad strokes of what happens in the book, the events themselves happened in a different way (and I thought it was very spooky and atmospheric). We didn't get much of the dialogue, and didn't get to see Ser Waymar fighting the Other nor being resurrected as a wight; it was done quite wonderfully with the character of the little girl, but I wonder if it will go over people's heads at this point that the White Walkers can turn you into one?

Also, it was Will and not Gared who escaped and get's beheaded. I don't know the reasons for some of these changes, but I can't see anything negative about them. The guy who played Will was great. I LOVED the additional scenes at Winterfell which introduced the Starks (brilliant Arya intro, nice moment between Jon and Cat). Fantastic to hear Sean Bean say, "winter is coming".

The beheading scene followed the book almost beat-for-beat and was spectacular. It was missing Theon kicking the head after it has been cut off - this certainly goes toward setting up his quite arrogant character - but is it really missed? Not in any great way. The show has a lot of larger characters to introduce and we can't be bombarded with it all at once.

The wall looked incredible. The white walkers, not as I had imagined, but I loved them. Quite creepy and the editing of the whole prologue was masterful. I need more!

Last edited by LeftHandedGuitarist; 04-04-2011 at 20:39.
LeftHandedGuitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 20:47   #3
Neil B
Trusted User

I thought it worked better in the book with Gared deserting as he'd been in the Watch a long time and was well aware of the consequences compared to Will who I seem to remember had only recently joined.
Neil B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:39   #4
Guest 4466
Out of the water

Was that Robb or Theon with Bran and Jon at the beheading?

Great preview. I especially liked Arya. Really can't wait for this to start!
Guest 4466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:42   #5
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

They were both there. Theon was the one who held out the sword for Ned to take.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:35   #6
Wooglie
Rurouni

Thanked 1,007 Times in 436 Posts
I watched the 15 minute preview, but couldn't stop myself thinking "you're going to die, and you and you." Not sure whether I'll be able to get so involved in the characters having read the books.
Wooglie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:09   #7
avid fan
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooglie View Post
I watched the 15 minute preview, but couldn't stop myself thinking "you're going to die, and you and you." Not sure whether I'll be able to get so involved in the characters having read the books.
That’s the lasting feeling I got from getting through the books – FFS GRRM, would it be so hard to let SOME of them live??? Optimism is certainly in short supply by the end of Dance with Dragons
avid fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:27   #8
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

In fairness, not that many people have actually been killed off. Of the big players, it's really only
spoilered in case someone accidentally clicks through

Martin often makes you just think somebody has been killed.

Last edited by LeftHandedGuitarist; 06-04-2011 at 10:27.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:42   #9
avid fan
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftHandedGuitarist View Post
In fairness, not that many people have actually been killed off. Of the big players, it's really only...
I guess one of the gifts of his writing is that all the 'lesser' characters - eg the household at Winterfell - all seemed like major players even if they weren't.

Also, what about:

I think the problem lies in the long period of time between reading the last book and waiting for the next - all the characters mentioned above are effectively 'in stassis' in the situations described.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:52   #10
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

It's true they are all a bit "in the air", but I think they are all still around - in some form, at least!

Last edited by LeftHandedGuitarist; 06-04-2011 at 10:53.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:13   #11
dannywonderful
Bon Viveur

Why are people using spoilers if this thread is marked for those who have read the books?
dannywonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 11:31   #12
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

So nobody accidentally sees them who doesn't want to. This is the first page of a thread which has a very similar title to the non-spoiler one. It's happened to me before, and it's horrible! Just being mindful of other people.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:44   #13
sparkyrob
It was collateral damage

Quote:
It's true they are all a bit "in the air", but I think they are all still around - in some form, at least!

Missed a fairly massive one in ACoK:

I stopped in shock as I read that one the first time!
sparkyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 13:06   #14
avid fan
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannywonderful View Post
Why are people using spoilers if this thread is marked for those who have read the books?
Just in case they hadn't read ALL the books(?)
Old 07-04-2011, 21:47   #15
Ghost Dog
Xbox Live: Spacescape

Quote:
In fairness, not that many people have actually been killed off. Of the big players, it's really only
spoilered in case someone accidentally clicks through

I guess you could class some others in this category too including -

Just finished rereading AGoT (3rd time now ) hoping to finish the other 3 before Dance of Dragons in July.

Last edited by Ghost Dog; 07-04-2011 at 21:49.
Ghost Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:08   #16
avid fan
Trusted User

I thought the
was still alive, perhaps albeit incarcerated?

I seem to recall that he is briefly mentioned in A Feast for Crows, and I'm sure that interviews with GRRM implied that the next book could almost run in parallel with AFFC but telling the stories of the other folks (aforementioned character included).
Old 08-04-2011, 07:14   #17
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

is a POV character in A Dance with Dragons, so is definitely still around.
Old 09-04-2011, 18:56   #18
Guest 4466
Out of the water

There's a Book Show Special on Atlantic just before the first episode (20:30 on the 18th). No idea if it will contain spoilers. A preview (perhaps the one already shown on HBO) is being shown at 22:15 on the 16th.

(Posted in both threads.)
Guest 4466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2011, 09:33   #19
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

I thought it was a pretty faithful adaptation, and I was extremely impressed with the cast across the board. The show also looks incredible, quality just pours off the screen. Big mention needs to made for the title sequence, I've watched it more than a few times and it's just gorgeous. Nice theme music, reminds me a bit of the Elder Scrolls Oblivion soundtrack.

A few changes from the book, most of them minor. The biggest one seemed to be Dany's wedding night which was turned into something of a rape instead of the consensual scene we get in the book. Not sure why it was done, but the girl I was watching the episode with got very uncomfortable during this sequence. I liked the additional scenes we got throughout - they almost feel like deleted scenes from the book. Tyrion in the whorehouse was great (though, why is there a whorehouse in Winterfell? Was that scene supposed to take place elsewhere?).

Very impressed by the white walkers - although the didn't look like how I had imagined them, I think it was better than anything I could think up. Very creepy opening sequence. The wall looks stunning.

Arya was a delight to watch. Maisie Williams really looks exactly how I had always pictured the character, and she made me laugh a lot - wish she'd had a bit more to do/say in this though! I really look forward to seeing her further adventures. If we get to a second season then her stuff at Harrenhal is going to be incredible. Sansa was the annoying airhead that she is in the books, so the fact that I didn't like her meant they got it right!

Viserys was great. Quite different from the books where he is a lot more viscious and physical - his delivery of the great line ("I'd let his entire tribe and their horses **** you if that's what it took") was much calmer but no less menacing. That line made my girlfriend gasp in shock, which I clearly recall was my same reaction when first reading the book.

The final scene was done quite well. Again, not quiet following the book but still getting it right. It lulled you into a false sense of calm and then SHOVE. I was desperate to keep watching once it had finished.

My only slight concern is that it felt like a bit of a slow episode at times due to the amount of explanation they naturally needed to keep in. I worry that people may just think it's too much and lose interest. Hopefully the ending was enough to hook new viewers - not to say that anything that came before that wasn't compelling and wonderful to watch. Tyrion made me laugh, Jon was moody and interesting, lots of boobs (probably more than necessary). Sean Bean is perfect for the role.

A very jarring moment during the feast when both Ned and Benjen suddenly had completely different hair styles from their previous scenes. That's because the shots were taken from the original pilot before all the recasting and reshoots.

Overall though, 10 out of 10. They've brought my favourite books to life and it's damn near spot on.
Old 19-04-2011, 10:24   #20
Guest 32525
Trusted User

I'm only a hundred pages into a Clash of Kings, so I probably won't be dipping in here too often.

Really just wanted to voice my one main complaint about the show, namely the age of some of the characters. I really liked in the book how there were basically two generations at work with the younger generation besically getting involved in this fight that their parents had sowed when they were babies.

I can understand and agree with the need to make Dany older, but aging Robb and not Joffrey seems a bit of a misstep. I really liked how they both ended up as king on opposing sides - one getting his position through his mother's scheming while the other earned it through gaining the trust of his people. It was a great dynamic and I'm not convinced it will work with a bigger age difference between the characters - every awful thing Joffrey does will be easily attributed to immaturity without Robb to contrast him with.
Guest 32525 is offline   Reply With Quote