Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 14:52   #1
Guest 2241
Trusted User

The Tottenham Hotspur Thread - 06/07 [part 3]

Wow, shiny new thread. Didn't get there as quick this time but hey, it's the quality, not the quantity

Quote:
Originally Posted by john316
His magical commentary before was great:
Not to mention, at 3-3: "You're right mark, it could still be 4-3". No kidding Sherlock!

Don't blame Jol for Berba coming off, it's probable that Berbatov was injured or tired. There's no way he's take him off for tactical reasons

Don't worry lads, we did them at the lane, and we're playing much better now than we did back then. If we can get Chimbonda, Robbo and Keane back we'll give them a game, especially if King is back

Last edited by camaj; 11-03-2007 at 14:53.
Old 11-03-2007, 14:54   #2
Guest 49794
XBL: kerzo84

I wouldn't mind seeing Cerny getting a run in the team, he can't do any worse than Robinson has done this season so far.....who knows, we may actually get a clean sheet!
Old 11-03-2007, 14:54   #3
Guest 50309
Trusted User

The whole shape of the team went with Berbatov and Lennon off .........

Thats exactly why I keep coming here saying that I really cant understand Jol ..... he doesnt seem to have any idea about formation and generally, his substitutions dont have a positive impact on the game ....... usually quite the opposite.

I think our best chance of a trophy just got wasted by taking off our best player of the season and replacing him a guy who sloppily gave the ball away which led to Chelseas second.

Mourinho made changes and moved players around and didnt have a conventional formation and that was good enough to make us look second rate in the 2nd half.

I am convinced that if we had a real manager we could go places with the majority of the squad we have now, although I would offload Lee and Gardner instantly and Mido would have to worse his butt off before the next transfer window.

Oh and a good goalkeeper would see us right as I think Robinsons best days are behind him.
Old 11-03-2007, 14:55   #4
d.boyd1uk
[DVDF]boyde2k7

I doubt jol will drop robinson, managers are usually faithful to goalkeepers.
Old 11-03-2007, 14:56   #5
Alan b
Administrator

Thanked 1,285 Times in 581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaj
Not to mention, at 3-3: "You're right mark, it could still be 4-3". No kidding Sherlock!
And "Drogba has been fouled" - turned out he was injured.
"Mike Riley is going to his pocket and has got his cards out again" - turned out it was for a substitution.
"There's a fight in the penalty area" - turned out it was two players jostling after a goal.

Last edited by Alan b; 11-03-2007 at 14:56.
Old 11-03-2007, 14:56   #6
Guest 2241
Trusted User

Can't fault Robbo this season. He's been fantastic and unfairly blamed for things that weren't his fault like that Tevez goal. Maybe because people don't understand his job they're too quick to blame him. Cerny did well. He's better at coming for crosses, that's for sure.

Whoever's in goal, if you're playing behind a solid defence you've got a much better chance no matter how good you are.

Quote:
"Mike Riley is going to his pocket and has got his cards out again" - turned out it was for a substitution.
Can't blame him for that one given the number of times he got his book out. Watching today you'd think we're a dirty team with the number of Yellows he handed to us

Last edited by camaj; 11-03-2007 at 14:59.
Old 11-03-2007, 14:58   #7
Guest 49794

Unfortunately we cannot replace quality with quality as we don't have unlimited funds and you cannot play your best players for 90mins every single game especially when the fixtures are close together. Yes I am annoyed at how the game finished but I am still happy at getting another shot at them and I think if you asked anyone if they would take a replay before the game then they would have taken it
Old 11-03-2007, 15:00   #8
Guest 49794

Quote:
Can't fault Robbo this season. He's been fantastic and unfairly blamed for things that weren't his fault like that Tevez goal. Maybe because people don't understand his job they're too quick to blame him. Cerny did well. He's better at coming for crosses, that's for sure.

Whoever's in goal, if you're playing behind a solid defence you've got a much better chance no matter how good you are.

As a shot stopper then I believe he is one of the best in the league however his positioning this season has not seemingly been the best, some of the shots from distance that have went in should have been easily saved
Old 11-03-2007, 15:04   #9
Guest 50309
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerzo
I think if you asked anyone if they would take a replay before the game then they would have taken it
Maybe BEFORE the game they might have thought Chelsea would be playing to 2 times league champions skill and form but they didnt and we deservedly built a 3 - 1 lead and thats what makes it all the more sickening to blow a great chance by bringing on people that didnt help us finish the job .......

Defoe was unlucky to hit the bar in the final couple of minutes but seasons can be turned on moments such as these.

Ledley, Ledley, where the heck is our captain ?.Anyone ?.Surely we could've built a robotic one in the length of time he has been out ?.Perhaps he has been reading Darren Andertons autobiography ?.

Not much (surprisingly) to say about the officials perdormance today .........

Only thing I was a bit surprised about is that Kalou stayed on the park:he was carded for a deliberate handball and must've pushed players over a few times so maybe he should've been sent for an early one ?.

Lamps looked offside for the 1st equaliser when it was first played in but assume they didnt deem him active until he put his leg in to deflect the cross/shot (at which point he was level).

Oh yeah, just remembered that cheating scummer Robbens dive in the box that went unpunished ........ personally I would be ambarrassed, but I suppose being paid tens of thousands of pounds a week to con someone helps your team out so it becomes second nature to some ?.

Last edited by UKBoy; 11-03-2007 at 15:11.
Old 11-03-2007, 15:16   #10
LouBarlow
Retired Member

There were a few dives from Tottenham players in that game....and let's not even mention the timewasting of course...still, you reap what you sew...
Old 11-03-2007, 15:19   #11
Guest 50309
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouBarlow
There were a few dives from Tottenham players in that game....and let's not even mention the timewasting of course...still, you reap what you sew...
To be honest I couldnt agree with you more .......

I could see right from the kick off of the second half that we werent playing the same way as in the 1st and generally timewasting is a sign of nerves and should lead the opposition to feel they have or are getting the upper hand.

Most teams when they are playing well have no need for, or desire to "waste time", be it from goal kicks, or taking forever over a free kick, so yes, I think that timewasting often gets its own punishment, I mean, if the refs pay attention they add the time on anyway so you usually just pick up a cheap yellow card for little or no benefit.
Old 11-03-2007, 15:23   #12
Guest 32046
Trusted User

None as bad as Robben's for the attempted pen Lou. 2 big attempts to con a pen in 2 consecutive games is that now?
Old 11-03-2007, 15:26   #13
LouBarlow
Retired Member

I will never defend him on diving, but when you spend most of the 2nd half timewasting, which is equally cheating in my eyes, then I think it's hypocritical to condemn the other team.
Old 11-03-2007, 15:31   #14
DeadYankee

Thanked 2,054 Times in 1,082 Posts
Timewasting is a poor show but is in no way comparable to diving. Right from the kick off Robben was taking every opportunity to try and con the referee. A shame that a talented player devotes so much energy to cheating. He should look at what make Lampard such a class player and learn some lessons
Old 11-03-2007, 15:42   #15
HBK757
Trusted User

Boy oh boy did Jol take Berbatov off too early. As soon as he left, you could visibly see the change. Spurs just couldn't keep the ball.

Edit - I see Jol said he was injured.

I nominate Tottenham as the most entertaining away team of the season.

Last edited by HBK757; 11-03-2007 at 15:48.
Old 11-03-2007, 15:43   #16
Guest 2241
Trusted User

Quote:
I will never defend him on diving, but when you spend most of the 2nd half timewasting, which is equally cheating in my eyes, then I think it's hypocritical to condemn the other team.
How you can compare timewasting to diving I don't know! Diving is far far worse!
And as Motson correctly pointed out there's no such thing as timewasting since they just add it on at the end anyway! The only real timewasting was the freekick which Cerney was booked for. I can't think of any other incident that was genuine timewasting.

Jol was just on SSN, he confirmed that Berbatov went off through injury. He had a groin problem at HT and Jol decided to hold the sub off for 10mins. Thank god he did, we might have lost had Mido played another 10.

Quote:
I nominate Tottenham as the most entertaining away team of the season.
I have a feeling you're basing that on our last 4 away games? We've been abysmal up until now. If we could play away like we do at home, we'd be looking at pushing 2nd

Last edited by camaj; 11-03-2007 at 15:55.
Old 11-03-2007, 16:13   #17
Guest 48381
A man & a brother

stupid tactics, 3-1 up against anyone should be enough, but too little teamwork-they were playing like strangers. Thought Tainio and Zokora were awful, not even average, Ghaly looked good as did Rocha which is positive but we ultimately paid the price for sitting back against a top class team rather than managing to keep the ball. Having said that, we still looked like scoring on the break. Plus we had 5 players out who would probably have played.
Would have taken a draw before today but with Terry back I don't think we'll have as good a chance next week
Old 11-03-2007, 16:42   #18
LouBarlow
Retired Member

Quote:
How you can compare timewasting to diving I don't know! Diving is far far worse!
Not really. Diving is 9/10 times caught by the refs today anyway, so it's never really an advantage, whereas wasting time walking off as a sub, or taking throws, taking goal-kicks etc are perhaps more impacting on a game...otherwise why would teams do it?

As for the ref adding on time for it - doesn't happen - certainly not with a muppet like Mike Riley.
Old 11-03-2007, 16:51   #19
Guest 2241
Trusted User

Quote:
Not really. Diving is 9/10 times caught by the refs today anyway,
If it was Arsenal would never have any players! I wish I shared your optimism! Maybe 1/10.

Quote:
whereas wasting time walking off as a sub, or taking throws, taking goal-kicks etc are perhaps more impacting on a game...otherwise why would teams do it?
Probably to give themselves a bit of a breather. Are you saying Spurs did those things today? How do you know that Ghaly, who was accused of it when he was subbed, wasn't just tired. Why should a player sprint off?

Quote:
As for the ref adding on time for it - doesn't happen - certainly not with a muppet like Mike Riley.
The 4th official is responsible for timekeeping AFAIK
Old 11-03-2007, 17:00   #20
mjb1975
Blandiblub

Well, super stuff today. Was expecting a bit of a thrashing so to give them a real go was a bonus. Shame we couldn't hold on to a two goal lead but I'd have taken a draw before the start.

Wasn't surprised that Berbie went off (esp. if it was for a slight injury - I thought it was sensible for a rest, etc), but I wanted Huddlestone on to add to the midfield. Thought Zokora and Tainio were good, Ghaly slightly better than he normally is, and the defence were all awesome.

Another good game for Lee IMO too. Given neither of our LBs are world beaters, he's played well recently.

Oh well, onwards and upwards. A great game and we get another chance. I assumed the cup run was over when the draw was made but we're technically in the semi-final draw now!
Closed Thread