Doctor Who -Season 2 production thread - PLEASE CLOSE as production has now finished. - Forums @ The Digital Fix

Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 25-07-2005, 06:05   #1
new
Sand Dab

Arrow Doctor Who -Season 2 production thread - PLEASE CLOSE as production has now finished.

As production has now started on "Season 2" (desperately not trying to call it Season 28 , doh! did it already ), thought we could do with a thread about it.

This will also include any info on the Xmas special - 'The Christmas Invasion'

Can we try & keep everyone happy here & use spoiler tags if a plot detail is going to be mentioned ( i.e. if any one dies, how it ends etc.).

If you do not know how to do spoiler tags just click on the ' quote' button, delete all this post apart from the Spoiler box, then just type in your post.

However if its just about production (whose filming when, directing, etc.) it can be left spoiler free.

If you do not want to know any thing about this Season; THEN DO NOT READ ANY FURTHER!

From Outpost Gallifrey
Quote:
The production on the second series of "Doctor Who" began on Friday, 22 July. Like last year, it is expected that the first day to several days will incorporate action sequences with the principal actors - Billie Piper and David Tennant - joining the production within the week. Locations have been scouted for the first production, The Christmas Invasion, which includes locations in Newport; as we previously reported, this will include Christmas-time decor in storefronts, and several area retailers have cooperated with the production.

Meanwhile, the latest issue of Doctor Who Magazine (issue #359) reports that David Tennant has been confirmed for both the second and third series, and talks are indeed underway with Elisabeth Sladen (as previously rumored) to be included in an episode. It does mention, however, that "[… The BBC] cannot comment any further at this point with regards to K9." Confirming the news that a third series was commissioned in June, producer Phil Collinson says that Jane Tranter and Julie Gardner (BBC head of drama and Doctor Who executive producer) "had forgotten to tell Russell [T. Davies] and I about the second Christmas Special. We didn't know until it was announced from the stage!" Davies comments that, able now to plan further ahead, he has already moved one scene from Series Two, Episode 1 into the third series (but emphasis that this does not mean that another regeneration is on the way).

The issue confirms the running order as it currently exists for the series, as well as confirms at elast one new title. Episodes 1 and 2 are written by Davies; episode two is tentatively entitled Tooth and Claw. Episode 3, School Reunion, is written by Toby Whithouse, with episode 4 by Steven Moffat, episodes 5 and 6 by Tom MacRae and episode 7 by Mark Gatiss. Episode 8 is The Satan Pit by Matt Jones, with Jones also penning episode 9. Episode 10 is by Davies, episode 11 will be written by a writer to be announced, and the last two are by Davies, with episode 12 entitled Army of Ghosts. James Hawes will direct "The Christmas Invasion" plus episodes 1 and 3, while Euros Lyn will direct episodes 2 and 4, and Graeme Harper episodes 5 and 6 as well as two others to be confirmed.

Also, replacement costume and make-up designers have been announced. Louise Page, whose previous credits include The Wedding Date and The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones, replaces Lucinda Wright as costume designer. The new make-up designer is one of the few members of the production team to have worked on the series during its original run: Sheelagh Wells provided the ‘ageing' make-up for Nyssa and Tegan in "Mawdryn Undead" in 1983, as well as working on several series of Blake's 7. Page and Wells have also worked together before, on an episode of The Strangerers ("The Streets of Laredo", 2000).

Hopefully the Elisabeth Sladen (Sarah) & possible K9 episode will come off, as it would be good for the Doctor to go back & visit past friends etc. I wonder if this will be the Doctor taking Rose to see a past companion who has witnessed & coped with a regenerating Doctor?

Also wonder if the one scene from Series Two, Episode 1 to Season 3 is Rose's departure from the Doctor?

& another update from them:

Quote:
Studio work was done on the first day, as opposed to the location work done last year (which is why there are no on-location photos being taken with anything of importance, only some brief glimpses of production trailers). Piper and Tennant were spotted by the British press on Friday, & photograph leaving the studio in Newport. Tennant told reporters that "I didn't know [Piper] before, but obviously I've been admiring her in the show. She's just great, fantastic. Spunky and quick and sexy, the ideal companion really."

Several news reports suggest that Stephen Fry will be penning an episode of the new series as previously reported; Fry was said to be at the studio on Friday as production got underway.

Filming on Friday July 22 was said to take place at Tredegar House in Newport, where the Doctor Who team had filmed a scene with a Prime Minister. (No word as yet on whether Penelope Wilton is returning as Harriet Jones, but that could certainly be fun...)

There are rumours that an episode will be filmed at Duffryn High School in Newport at some point during August; speculation persists that this will have something to do with the (currently) third episode, "School Reunion".

Russell T Davies spoke recently on "Newsround" and said that "The Christmas Invasion" would involve a new monster as well as all the Christmas trimmings "including Reindeer and snow". He also mentioned that Rose would be finding difficult to come to terms with the new Doctor.

There are currently rumours circling - again, none confirmed - that one of the episodes is entitled "The Sunshine Camp," perhaps the first episode. As always, treat these as speculative in the absence of concrete information...

Some details from this past weekend's Invasion V convention, where actors Noel Clarke (Mickey) and John Barrowman (Jack) appeared. Both actors said they would definitely be returning to the series, although there was no news for Barrowman on when; Noel would be joining the cast for the filming of the special, "The Christmas Invasion" on Monday. Mickey is revealed to be a car mechanic, and his character will be developed significantly (but, of course, Noel wasn't saying anything specific about this!)
So Mickey is back. Hmm, although I have to say his character is now know where near as irritating as the first 2-3 episodes he was in.

Good to see Jack coming back as well although its rumored it wont be until the 2nd half of the season, which if true will mean he will not:

There is apparently going to be another 'story arch ' linking some/most of the events in series 2 (maybe going into 3 as well?):
Quote:
In the first series we had BAD WOLF. Series two will again run a theme/clue throughout, and according to Russell T Davies, the word has already been spoken in series one - "that word has already been heard on screen. And that's all I'm saying. You'll have to go back and trawl through 13 episodes to realise what I'm on about. You'll hear the word in the Christmas special though".
I would also expect a revisit to Satellite Five at least once, as this place is now turing out to be a pivotal place for the Doctor & he has a lot to put right here (as well as picking up Jack & maybe ?)

Other tit-bits:
» One story will be set in the 1700's. At least one story will be set on an alien planet.

» We will see other rooms in the TARDIS.

Other ongoing 'Who' threads:

Doctor Who - The Complete First Series Boxset (9th Doctor) (for all info on the DVD boxset - surprisinly!)

Classic Doctor Who Thread (for all pre RTD Who).

Last edited by new; 13-04-2006 at 15:50.
Old 25-07-2005, 12:42   #2
Spooky_uk
XBL/PSN : SPOOKYVILLE

http://www.gallifreyone.com/news.php...kyEuVumbQMslgI
Old 25-07-2005, 14:48   #3
thescrounger
Trusted User

Old 25-07-2005, 14:51   #4
thescrounger
Trusted User

New Doctors costume here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/spl...2204/img/1.jpg

Edited to show full costume.

Last edited by thescrounger; 25-07-2005 at 15:11.
Old 25-07-2005, 15:51   #5
Spooky_uk
XBL/PSN : SPOOKYVILLE

more info on the bbc news site..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertain...io/4714061.stm
Old 25-07-2005, 16:03   #6
new
Sand Dab

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescrounger

My old English teacher used to dress like that!

More pics here as well:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/galle...nt/index.shtml

Last edited by new; 25-07-2005 at 16:11.
Old 25-07-2005, 16:12   #7
Harsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by new
My old English teacher used to dress like that!
My fist thought was it was very School Teacher, I quite like it.
Old 25-07-2005, 16:13   #8
thescrounger
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky_uk
Old 25-07-2005, 16:20   #9
new
Sand Dab

Quote:

Agree, in fact I like the way people seam to come & go last season (Jack & Adam). A bit of a throw back to the old , old days of Who where there were a few companions that did not last a whole series.
Old 25-07-2005, 16:22   #10
Guest 7607
Custom User Title

Quote:

Thats actually rather cool...
Old 25-07-2005, 16:56   #11
Guest 2795
Trusted User

Sorry got to say that the new costume looks bloody awful. Hope the stories are better
Old 25-07-2005, 17:59   #12
Guest 1987
Trusted User

Have to agree, the new costume looks really cool and just as David Tennant describes it (a little bit geeky). Really looking forward to the Christmas Special and New Season, the little titbits of information coming out of the BBC really sound intriguing.
Old 25-07-2005, 18:24   #13
haxtond
Trusted User

I like the new costume. Can anyone tell me who Elisabeth Sladen is and what she has to do with Dr Who.
Old 25-07-2005, 18:36   #14
Guest 3532
Trusted User

New costume really reminds me in shape of Peter Davison's one. Which ain't half bad.
Old 25-07-2005, 18:39   #15
Guest 2825
Bluenose

Quote:
Originally Posted by haxtond
I like the new costume. Can anyone tell me who Elisabeth Sladen is and what she has to do with Dr Who.
She played Sarah Jane Smith, a journalist who was a companion with both Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker.
Old 25-07-2005, 18:41   #16
Guest 155
Trusted User

Quote:
She played the Doctor's companion Sarah Jane Smith between 1973 and 1976, from Jon Pertwee's final season as the Doctor and the first two and bit seasons with Tom Baker in the role. Often reckoned one of the very best companions, if not the best.
Old 25-07-2005, 18:47   #17
MrSynner
Fear the puppet!

Quote:

Ah.... A 'classic' Dr Who costume! I expected as much from Tennant, major DW geek that he is.
Old 25-07-2005, 19:19   #18
new
Sand Dab

Quote:
Can anyone tell me who Elisabeth Sladen is and what she has to do with Dr Who.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Couzens
She played the Doctor's companion Sarah Jane Smith between 1973 and 1976, from Jon Pertwee's final season as the Doctor and the first two and bit seasons with Tom Baker in the role. Often reckoned one of the very best companions, if not the best.
She is also chronologically the longest-serving Doctor Who companion (though Jamie actually had more episodes)

Took quite a while for me to get used to her as she replaced Katy Manning (who played Jo Grant) who was the first woman I ever fancied. (Still got the pictures of her & the Dalek - just google 'Katy Manning nude' & you will see what I mean).
Boy did I get a few shocks last Spring when I saw how she looks these days when watching Doctor Who Confidential.

Last edited by new; 25-07-2005 at 19:21.
Old 25-07-2005, 19:22   #19
grimley
Apprentice Time Lord..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Derek Doctors
New costume really reminds me in shape of Peter Davison's one. Which ain't half bad.
It looks as though hes just climbed out of bed - doesn't he do any Ironing
Old 25-07-2005, 19:43   #20
new
Sand Dab

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimley
It looks as though hes just climbed out of bed - doesn't he do any Ironing
Usually the assistant would do all ironing ( & cooking, etc.), but as he has chosen to travel with a Chav..…....................

Last edited by new; 25-07-2005 at 19:44.
Closed Thread