Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Music Discussion

Old 13-02-2005, 02:21   #1
Guest 42513
Trusted User

New Springsteen Album ....

Quote:
Multiple sources suggest that a full album is complete, tentatively titled Devils and Dust. (You might recall, a song by that name was played at soundcheck/rehearsals for both the Rising and Vote for Change tours.) With that title song as the lead track according to preliminary reports, the album is reportedly planned for a late-April release. A coinciding tour is also in the planning stages, with buzz already building within the concert industry.

More of a solo project than a full-band affair, the new material was recorded in recent months with help from Rising producer Brendan O'Brien, and notable contributions from drummer (and 23rd Street Lullaby co-producer) Steve Jordan, Soozie Tyrell, and others. Speculation has been that the album would be a return to The Ghost of Tom Joad territory, and with song titles like "Black Cowboys" and "Silver Palomino," that sure sounds close to the mark. Springsteen has also revisited unreleased material from the Joad era, recording studio versions of "The Hitter" and "Long Time Coming" (both performed live on the 1995-97 tour) which are expected to see release at last.

www.backstreets.com
Guest 42513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2005, 12:29   #2
Guest 10384
Generation Terrorist

Just been mentioned on 6 music - release April 25th called 'Devils & Dust' and 'alt.country' sound solo record!! Apparently more rocking than 'Joad' though. Can't wait!!
Guest 10384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2005, 01:30   #3
magicrat
What's Next?

I was going to post this myself after seeing it on Backstreets, figured I'd do a search first....

I'm trying not to build up any hopes till it gets officially announced though.
magicrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2005, 11:47   #4
Guest 2343
Trusted User

at last
Guest 2343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2005, 21:59   #5
Guest 14710
Demon Bassist

Thanks for the heads up
Guest 14710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2005, 17:45   #6
GodBlessTheUSA
The Red, White And Blue!

Quote:
IT'S OFFICIAL!
Well, as he said during the "Blood Brothers" documentary, it's the part Bruce hates, because now things are official. So it's the part we love. Springsteen's 19th album, "Devils & Dust" will be released on April 26. Produced by Brendan O'Brien, the new album was recorded at Thrill Hill Recording Studios in Los Angeles and New Jersey with additional engineering at Southern Tracks in Atlanta.

The track listing is:
1. Devils & Dust
2. All The Way Home
3. Reno
4. Long Time Comin'
5. Black Cowboys
6. Maria's Bed
7. Silver Palomino
8. Jesus Was an Only Son
9. Leah
10. The Hitter
11. All I'm Thinkin' About
12. Matamoras Banks

The official press release from Shore Fire Media also says that Springsteen is planning to tour to accompany the release of the album. And that "details will be announced shortly."
- February 16, 2005
This is excellent news.... I can't wait for this!

Last edited by GodBlessTheUSA; 16-02-2005 at 17:47.
GodBlessTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2005, 08:53   #7
Guest 4595
Trusted User

Great news! I really looking foward to this one.
Guest 4595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2005, 11:44   #8
Guest 925
Xbox Tag: mondoben

UK tour please! E-Street Band at Crytal Palace was awesome in 2003
Guest 925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2005, 11:48   #9
Guest 14046
Trusted User

I doubt it will be an E-Street tour.
Guest 14046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2005, 12:39   #10
Guest 925
Xbox Tag: mondoben

Me neither, i was simply saying the last tour was great. I imagine it will be either solo like the Tom Joad gigs at Albert Hall or with a 3-4 piece band.

Last edited by BenH; 17-02-2005 at 12:40.
Guest 925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2005, 14:22   #11
magicrat
What's Next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenH
Me neither, i was simply saying the last tour was great. I imagine it will be either solo like the Tom Joad gigs at Albert Hall or with a 3-4 piece band.
From www.backstreets.com

Quote:
The official press release from Shore Fire Media also says that Springsteen is planning to tour to accompany the release of the album, and that "details will be announced shortly." For now, it's looking like anyone who missed the intimate acoustic tour that started ten years ago this fall will get another chance to witness Bruce in that kind of setting. According to the AP, Springsteen isn't yet sure whether he'll be playing solo or with a small band, but in either case the tour will be "an acoustic affair... targeting theaters and smaller venues."
Old 17-02-2005, 17:27   #12
Guest 16026
Banned

''According to the AP, Springsteen isn't yet sure whether he'll be playing solo or with a small band, but in either case the tour will be "an acoustic affair... targeting theaters and smaller venues."

Now that really would be something to look forward to!! Been 'into' Springsteen since way before Born To Run as got given a copy of Greetings From Asbury Park a couple of months after it was released and didn't stop playing it for the next few months! Not bragging, btw, just illustrating how OLD I am!! Kept banging on about him to my mates but they were having none of it at the time, but when Born To Run came out (and after Mike Appel said what he did), they came round to my way of thinking!

Eventually saw him at St James' Park and Bramall Lane and he was simply fantastic both times! I've always thought most of his songs, whilst they do lend themselves to stadia gigs, really can stand up to the kind of scrutiny that playing them accoustically in small venues brings. Simply can't wait....

SS

Last edited by SpankySpanky; 17-02-2005 at 17:28.
Guest 16026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2005, 17:44   #13
Guest 17329
Banned

I've liked him for almost as long (round about when 'Darkness...' came out) and to honest don't like the stuff he does outside of the E St. Band, so this doesn't excite me terribly. I just think solo he misses the dynamic that the band give him. You only have to see the 'Live in NY' DVD to see how they react against each other. I have a friend who doesn't like Springsteen at all but will watch the DVD just to see how they play off each other (he's a musician, so likes that sort of thing !), it's almost telepathic. Definitely a case of 'the sum of the parts' as none of them (Roy Bittan aside) could be classed as virtuosos but if there's a better 'band' around, I've never seen them.
Guest 17329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2005, 19:06   #14
Guest 12859
Iron Mind.

I wonder if he will ever tour with the E Street again ...

Ive never been able to see him live (im only 20 so chances have been limited) and missed out on tickets for Crystal Palace in 2003 by minutes...gutted.

Looking forward to the new album, but like gary191265, his stuff with ESB was always far superior to anything else he's done...

I just keep my fingers crossed everyday for word of another tour with ESB, but if he does tour solo I will do my best to get tickets!
Guest 12859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2005, 19:11   #15
Guest 16026
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pazman2k

Ive never been able to see him live (im only 20 so chances have been limited) and missed out on tickets for Crystal Palace in 2003 by minutes...gutted.

Looking forward to the new album, but like gary191265, his stuff with ESB was always far superior to anything else he's done...

I just keep my fingers crossed everyday for word of another tour with ESB, but if he does tour solo I will do my best to get tickets!

Yeah, they were great! I think his interaction with Clarence Clemons was the key to the show, really. Simply fantastic to watch. Maybe Clarence wasn't the best sax player in the world, but that guy had massive stage presence.

SS

Last edited by SpankySpanky; 21-02-2005 at 19:12.
Guest 16026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2005, 21:40   #16
Guest 654
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pazman2k

I just keep my fingers crossed everyday for word of another tour with ESB, but if he does tour solo I will do my best to get tickets
Touts were knocking out tix for both gigs at below face value outside the venue.
Guest 654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2005, 07:37   #17
Guest 17329
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpankySpanky
Maybe Clarence wasn't the best sax player in the world, but that guy had massive stage presence.

SS
He's not dead you know !
Old 02-03-2005, 23:40   #18
magicrat
What's Next?

More news on the album from Backstreets.

Quote:
DEVILS & DUST... DUAL DISC? DEFINITELY!
Album release to include film footage, surround sound
When Bruce's new album is released on April 26, it will be his first in the two-sided Dual Disc format, which combines both CD and DVD content on the same disc. One side will be standard audio -- a CD of the full album (for track listing, see below). On the flipside will be DVD content, including both audio and video. How's this for a B-side: the DVD portion will include the entire album in 5.1 channel surround sound and in 2-channel stereo, as well as a special Devils & Dust film by Danny Clinch, capturing Springsteen at work. Clinch, whose work with Bruce has included The Rising album cover as well as the "Countin' on a Miracle" video, filmed acoustic performances of five songs to be included here: "Devils & Dust," "Long Time Comin'," "Reno," "All I'm Thinkin' About," and "Matamoras Banks."
Quote:
According to Columbia promotional material, there will be two different packages for Devils & Dust, similar to the release of The Rising: a standard edition (#CN93900, $18.98 list), and a special edition (#CN94253, $24.98 list). Both will contain the Dual Disc; the packaging looks to be the only difference. The special edition is described as "a deluxe accordion-style package with bonus photographs and unique, song-specific elements for each of the CD's 12 tracks.” We can also now confirm that both packages will feature the "Parental Advisory: Explicit Content" label, a first for Bruce. (The advisory sticker is apparently unrelated to previous rumours of a controversial "missing" 13th track. According to one source close to the project, "There was never any discussion with the record label about Bruce changing anything on the new CD. As always, the CD that he handed in is the one that's coming out.")
The album cover is also shown on the site, but "Cover Art is not final".

Also from the site.

Quote:
ROLLING STONE PREVIEWS DEVILS & DUST
On the cover of the Rolling Stone... you'll find Springsteen's name there this month (RS 969), as part of their "New CD Preview." Brian Hiatt writes that Devils & Dust is "raw" and "rootsy," quoting a source close to the artist: "This is not exactly like any prior Bruce release... It's neither an E Street Band album nor an acoustic album. A good half of it really rocks." The source goes on to describe the title track as "an overview song, in the tradition of 'Badlands' and 'Born in the U.S.A.'" Hiatt also notes that, in addition to the trio of Springsteen, Brendan O'Brien, and Steve Jordan, musicians include Soozie Tyrell (violin) and a full string section.
Roll on April 25th, this is sounding better all the time.

It's up for pre-order at Play.com for Ł8.99.

Last edited by magicrat; 02-03-2005 at 23:41.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:49   #19
Guest 17329
Banned

Now that sounds better !!
Old 03-03-2005, 11:48   #20
Citysmith
Feed the Goat..

In the famous words of Alan partridge

"Back of the Net"

My fave singer of all time. Hope he does the bizo, as never really got into The Rising, despite it's commercial success
Citysmith is offline   Reply With Quote