A program to store a customer database and another to pull data from it for invoices. - Forums @ The Digital Fix

Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Computing Forum

Old 24-10-2004, 14:16   #1
Xenomorph
BUILDING BETTER WORLDS

A program to store a customer database and another to pull data from it for invoices.

Hi all,

My cousins doing some sort of IT project for school.

She is wondering if you can use Microsoft Access to store a customer database and then Excel to use the data to make invoices. So you would put a name in Excel and the rest of the data would come up.

So can they? How would you go about it? If they can't can anyone recommend a program that can?

Thanks.
Xenomorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2004, 14:51   #2
Guest 5985
Trusted User

Any reason, why she hasn't considered doing it all in Access? It seems an unneccesary complication unless there's a specific reason. This kind of thing can be done in Access using a mixture of forms and queries.

I assume she has to design something and isn't able to use a customed designed accounts package like Sage Instant Accounting?

Robert

Last edited by rwniel; 24-10-2004 at 14:53.
Guest 5985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2004, 17:55   #3
Xenomorph
BUILDING BETTER WORLDS

Shes quite young, it's me who supposed there would be a link between Access and Excel but I am not overly familiar with either.

I just needed a general idea how. If it can be done in access that sounds fine, we can work from there.

I don't know if she actually has to implement anything, just explain how you might implement something.

Thanks.
Old 24-10-2004, 18:19   #4
Guest 33684
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenomorph
Shes quite young, it's me who supposed there would be a link between Access and Excel but I am not overly familiar with either.

I just needed a general idea how. If it can be done in access that sounds fine, we can work from there.

I don't know if she actually has to implement anything, just explain how you might implement something.
Purely use Access otherwise you risk confusing things and Access is confusing enough as it is . If you can get a copy of one of the "Idiot Guide to..." books, it will come with a disk featuring various samples and give you a break down of how to construct an Access Database. If you want to take a look before spending any money:

http://www.bcschools.net/staff/AccessHelp.htm
http://www.functionx.com/access/
http://www.katsueydesignworks.com/tu..._databases.htm

Or:

Convert excel database to Access:
http://databases.about.com/library/weekly/aa123100a.htm (make sure you have a popup blocker before accessing this site)

Happy reading.
Guest 33684 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2004, 21:23   #5
Guest 4088
Trusted User

As they said - do it all in access.

OR you can do it all in Excel using a few nifty formulas to search and then pull data from one worksheet to another...
Guest 4088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2004, 23:02   #6
Xenomorph
BUILDING BETTER WORLDS

Stars all of you. Thanks.
Old 25-10-2004, 16:07   #7
Guest 5985
Trusted User

One way to consider a database like this, is to work on the basis of final output.

In this case, the final output is an invoice therefore roughly map out what you want it to look like on the basis of a maximum number of lines, whether quantities are involved, different delivery addresses for each customer, multiple currencies and so on. Then you can start thinking about how to minimise duplication of information.

For example, although you can store the customer's address in each invoice, logically it's best to put address details in a separate table and then link them to an invoice using a field value that's unique to each customer (- often a key field such as Account Number which then links to a related field in the invoice table). The same goes for products and minimising the need to store descriptions of items. If you give each item a code then you're able to select items in your invoice by the code rather than needing to type each one in again - though this method does need due consideration if you are going to be storing prices with product descriptions, as you don't want existing invoices to be affected when prices change. How this works, is all in the set-up as you can copy field values from one to another so it no longer is dependent on the original products list table.

Also, if you don't want to fix the number of lines in an invoice, then you'll also need to consider headers and footers in the final report as this then allows invoices to take up more than one page.

Robert

Last edited by rwniel; 25-10-2004 at 16:09.
Guest 5985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2004, 18:01   #8
Guest 28605
MCDBA,MCSE,MCSA,MCITP:DBA

As other uses have stated - Access Reports might be an option for producing invoices. (Probably a better option than Excel)

Excel has superior analaysis capabilities though & you can link to Access data in Excel if required.
Guest 28605 is offline   Reply With Quote