Beautiful moments in Cinema. - Your's are needed! - Forums @ The Digital Fix

Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 12-02-2004, 16:21   #1
Jon B
Trusted User

Beautiful moments in Cinema. - Your's are needed!

Just thought this would be fun.

What are the scenes from movies where everything just works perfectly for you. A combination of direction, acting and/ or music come together to blow you away and make you realise why you really love film so much!!

I've got a few.

The Royal Tenenbaums - Gwyneth Paltrow gets off a bus in slow-motion, to Nico's cover version of "These Days" Absolutely wonderful scene. Wes Anderson

Being There - The end scene.

Superman the Movie - The scene where Superman takes Lois Lane on a 'date' . He takes her flying, while John Williams 'Love Theme' plays - fantastic stuff!!

Once Upon a Time in the West - Claudia Cardinale gets off a train, and the camera pans up to reveal a whole town behind the train station. (you all know the scene I mean)

Solaris - Clooney dreams of first meeting wife Natasha McElhone . He sees her on a train and meets her later at a party. These scene's really work for me - can't explain why. Beautifully shot,edited and lit!

Anyone else? (just going to try to come up with some more)

EDIT: added

The Thin Red LIne - shouldn't have forgotton this. Chapter 22, the "Love. Where does it come from?" monologue / girl on a swing scene.

Last edited by Jon B; 12-02-2004 at 16:38.
Jon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 16:34   #2
Guest 4461
Trusted User

The one which immediately comes to mind for me :

Bladerunner - 'Time To Die' scene + dialogue
Guest 4461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 16:41   #3
Guest 1787
Spam Handler

Can think of quite a few off the top of my head, the kind of moments that resassure me why I keep going to the cinema...

Once Upon a Time in the West, the revealing of Henry Fonda in the beginning. And also the Climatic shootout. Absolutely stunning.

Lord of the Rings
In Felllowship the Khaza-dum sequence.
In Towers, Gandalf saving the day.
There are so many stand out sequences in Return of the King, the main one though is the Beacons sequence. Absolutely stunning, gives me goose bumps every time I see it.

Blade Runner The "Tears in Rain" speech.

Sonatine The scene where the Yakuza fight each other with fireworks.

Last of the MohicansThe chase at the end with the theme playing is just awesome.
Guest 1787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 16:42   #4
jroadley
Trusted User

One that is sticking in my head is from Lost In Translation.

It's the scene where Bob is approaching Tokyo in the cab and we have Death In Vegas playing, he looks really tired and alone then flip from him to this...

I don't what it is, but it sets the rest of the film up lovely
jroadley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 16:43   #5
aprout
worn to perfection

Location: Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs
Grosse Pointe Blank - in the reunion sequence. Cusack is holding the baby. 'Under Pressure' builds on the soundtrack, he stares at the baby, the baby stares back.

Brings a tear to my eye.

aprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 17:16   #6
SimonI
Rude Mechanical

Powell and Pressburgers' A Canterbury Tale near the end when they are approaching Canterbury - that moment as Dennis Price delivers his line and the carriage is shrouded in ghostly light (sunshine through the smoke) - magical!

Donnie Darko - the first Mad World sequence at the school, near the beginning. Absolutely superb!
Old 12-02-2004, 17:26   #7
kfung
Trusted User

Taxi Driver - The nightmarish aftermath of the shootout where the camera gives a birdseye view of the bloodshed.

Incredible music as well.

Also the dreamlike bit where Travis Bickle is going to his first date with the Cybil Shepherd character.

Last edited by kfung; 12-02-2004 at 17:30.
kfung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 17:28   #8
Guest 20584
Trusted User

Adaptation - The part at the end with Kaufman's voiceover as he drives away, Happy Together starts to play and the flowers shoot up- excellent stuff

Fight Club - The last shot:

Hannibal - The editing near the end of the film which switches between Hannibal and Clarice and the police cars, along with the very subtle score in the background. Also, the opera in the middle of the film is a great moment.
Guest 20584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 17:34   #9
kfung
Trusted User

Blow Out - the incredible slow motion sequence where John Travolta is trying to save the girl.

Last edited by kfung; 12-02-2004 at 17:35.
kfung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 17:40   #10
hermand
Hypocrite

Strictly Ballroom:

Last edited by hermand; 12-02-2004 at 17:40.
hermand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 17:46   #11
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

The Searchers - John Wayne, framed by the doorway, shepherds what's left of his family into the homestead, grabs his arm in that touching tribute to Harry Carey, turns and walks away. Cue music...

High Noon - Gary Cooper, tired and bruised, is shown by a towering pull-back crane shot to be alone in the deserted streets of a town that's expecting him to die bloody. It's Noon.

Superman - The Man of Steel is revealed for the first time as he sweeps up to catch Lois Lane who is tumbling to her death; "Don't worry Miss Lane I've got you!" "You've got me? Who's got YOU?". We were in a matinee cinema full of kids at Christmas time and we stood up and cheered.

Fort Apache - The troop is leaving the post on an assignment that everyone knows means almost certain death. The wives are gathered and watch their men leave for the last time. One peers off into the distance and says with a terrible poignancy: "I can't see him now; I can only see the tops of the flags.". I don't know why but I crack up every time.

The Good, The Bad & The Ugly - The Ecstasy of Gold scene, with Tuco racing endlessly in dizzying circles trying to find the grave, to Ennio Morricone's soaring score.

The Third Man - The blackened streets of post-war Vienna. Holly Martins is making his way drunkenly back to his hotel when he realises he's being followed. He shouts, others call out angry at being wakened, a light comes on...and a man that shouldn't be there is revealed, a sly smile playing across his lips.

The Third Man - after the funeral, Anna Schmidt walks down an endless road flanked by linden trees. Holly waits by the car, and Anton Karas' zither plays an achingly sad refrain.

Way Out West - Laurel and Hardy dance to At the Ball, That's All. 'Nuff said.

---
So many films, so little time...

Last edited by John Hodson; 13-02-2004 at 13:44.
John Hodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 18:28   #12
Guest 993
Trusted User

Re: Beautiful moments in Cinema. - Your's are needed!

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon B

Once Upon a Time in the West - Claudia Cardinale gets off a train, and the camera pans up to reveal a whole town behind the train station. (you all know the scene I mean)
That would be a definite candidate for me, though there are many other moments in the film too. Such a fantastic film
Guest 993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 18:38   #13
Guest 30985
Trusted User

STAND BY ME - When the find the "kid" and they all change forever.
Guest 30985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 18:51   #14
Guest 2727
Unio Europaea delenda est

Quote:
Originally posted by John Hodson
The Good, The Bad & The Ugly - The Ecstasy of Gold scene, with Tuco racing endlessly in dizzying circles trying to find the grave, to Ennio Morricone's soaring score.
And the bit right at the beginning when Van Cleef's about to go into the bearded bloke's house. Gorgeous stuff.
Guest 2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 18:55   #15
General Zod
Kryptonian

SW: A New Hope - Luke watching the binary sunset.
Excalibur - The end of the film, with the sun setting.
Crouching Tiger - The fight in the bamboo forest.
General Zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 19:02   #16
Tob
Trusted User

I like the start to the 'The Last Crusade' where the grave robbing chap puts the fedora on River Phoenix's head obscuring his face and then it cuts and Harrison Ford looks up from beneath the hat to that theme. Beautiful, stirring stuff.
Tob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 20:26   #17
Guest 3344
Which lie did I tell?

Quote:
Originally posted by General Zod
SW: A New Hope - Luke watching the binary sunset.

The Shawshank Redemption - Heywood uneasily offering Andy a beer on the roof and Andy declining with a huge sense of satisfaction on his face.

Lion King - The awesome 'circle of life' beginning.

Jurassic Park - The first time they see the brachiosaur. The look of awe, the seering music... then the rumble as the dino's feet hit the ground. Also the tyranosaurus in the rain getting loose.
Guest 3344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 21:04   #18
Boink!
Quite cross right now

Thanked 3,810 Times in 1,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Bennison
Lion King - The awesome 'circle of life' beginning. [/B]
Second that.

Also (for me) the initial fight between Mark Dacascos and the French peasants in the rain at the start of Brotherhood of the Wolf ..
.. and the bus stop scene in Totoro.
Boink! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 21:09   #19
Guest 39489
Trusted User

Quote:
Lion King - The awesome 'circle of life' beginning.
Yeah, most definetly, although that film is awash with other wonderful moments, such as the wildebeast stampeed. I love it when the camera pans across the wildebeast scrambling down the cliff face and then it zooms into Simba's face of horro.

Lost In Translation: As mentioned above, but it had more moments I couldn't help but be mesmerised by, such as the gorgeous opening shot (if you've seen the film you'll know which one), the bit with Scarlett skipping across the stepping stones (it just looked gorgeous), with the Air Alone in Kyoto music (I think(, and the ending shots of Murrays taxi coupled with the Jesus and Mary Chain. Superb

American Beauty: Just the opening aerial shot closing in on the superbs with Thomas Newmans awesome score.

Once Upon A Time In China: that fight in the clinic's courtyard with that log swivelling in the air above Jet Li and the other kung fu master whilst they fought eachother.

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon: The Zhang Ziyi vs. Michelle Yeoh figh sequence. Absolutely incredible.

Belleville Rendez-vous: The incredible work of genius that the chase sequence at the end was.

Big Fish: The end when Albert Finneys (can'tremember character names) son was telling him what he saw in the witch's eye at the beginning. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. :o

Raising Arizona: The hysterical chase sequence in the middle involving all those dogs.
Guest 39489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 21:29   #20
Guest 29
Last Of The Independents

How Green Was My Valley - the wedding veil blown in the breeze, in a poignant moment of precognition.

The Bridges of Madison County - Clint stands in the rain knowing that he's never going to see the love of his life again.

Cries and Whispers - The flashback to happier times at the end.

The Untouchables - The discovery of
in the lift.

The Boys From Brazil - When Olivier's Nazi Hunter reveals that the silly old man act is just a mask during the confrontation with the nurse from Auschwitz. A riveting moment in an overstuffed, messy film.

The Conversation - Harry Caul plays saxaphone in the ruins of his home.

Frenzy - the astonishing backwards tracking shot down the stairs, one of Hitchcock's greatest moments.

The Wild Bunch - the whole film, but particularly the back view of William Holden trying to keep his dignity while walking away from his squabbling friends.

Pat Garrett and Billy The Kid - Slim Pickens and Katy Jurado at the river, Dylan on the soundtrack, John Coquillon capturing a glorious sky. Probably my all-time favourite scene.
Guest 29 is offline   Reply With Quote