Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 29-04-2003, 06:33   #1
jroadley
Trusted User

The Classic Western Thread

Folks, have just read that this is quite a good western and have got the R2 disc on order for a precious Ł5.99.

Can anyone comment on the film, and also the quality of the disc? I understand that there is a 1.85:1 16x9 and a 4:3 version on the disc.

Last edited by jroadley; 11-11-2004 at 11:15.
Old 29-04-2003, 07:42   #2
Guest 5437
Trusted User

You get widescreen on on 1 side and P&S on the other. With regard to the picture quality it is very good. I guess being filmed in VistaVision didn't hurt either!
Russell
Old 29-04-2003, 07:45   #3
Guest 1764
Dry hair’s for squids

Seminal western, very dark with a defining performance from Wayne and has there ever been a cuter red Indian (native American, whatever) than Natalie Wood?
Old 29-04-2003, 07:47   #4
Guest 925
Xbox Tag: mondoben

Excellent disc (considering it was quite an early release), and one of the finest westerns ever made. In terms of Wayne's career it's only beaten (IMO) by Rio Bravo.
Old 29-04-2003, 08:46   #5
Guest 3460
fallen english gent

I have to agree with all: it really is an excellent disc with great picture. i brought it in an HMV sale along with The Outlaw Josey Wells and the two make a damn fine double-bill.
Old 29-04-2003, 09:23   #6
Guest 21489
Banned

Re: The Searchers (John Wayne) - any good?

Quote:
Originally posted by jroadley
quite a good western

Quote:
Originally posted by jroadley
Can anyone comment on the film, and also the quality of the disc? I understand that there is a 1.85:1 16x9 and a 4:3 version on the disc.
My dear chap, the film may most certainly be recommended without reservation. Considered this sublime work to be essential viewing, old boy. Do be warned, however, that its DVD transfer does leave something to be desired, and this is a matter which seems to have been missed by most if not all reviews (of which otherwise thorough examples may be found here (particularly well informed) and here (a R4 release, granted, but one which utilises the same transfer).

In the interests of succinctness, allow me to quote Glenn Erickson from an article to be found in his superb DVD Savant collection.

Quote:
Warners may also be remastering The Searchers, whose first go at DVD severely cropped the movie while filling a 1:78, 16:9 frame. When the letterboxed laserdisc came out in '92 fans were pleased but surprised to see the VistaVision Searchers rather extremely letterboxed. Snapping up the 16:9 DVD, Western lovers found that the otherwise beautiful transfer was grossly overcropped, on both sides and on the top. Most of the cowboy hats on the DVD are bisected by the upper frame line, while plenty of foot room remains below. All the once-perfectly framed Monument Valley vistas look lopsided and crowded. The irony of this is that the picture quality is so improved over the laser that now neither version is satisfying to watch!
For my money, the best Ford-Wayne DVD to date is "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance". You shall find it reviewed in some style here, old bean.
Old 29-04-2003, 09:34   #7
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Rex - my dear chap, where have you been?

Quote:
Warners may also be remastering The Searchers,
Let there be rejoicing in the streets!

Quote:
For my money, the best Ford-Wayne DVD to date is "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance". You shall find it reviewed in some style here, old bean.
IMHO that has to be the R1 (or the German R2) of She Wore a Yellow Ribbon. The Artisan Rio Grande isn't bad either.

---
So many films, so little time...

Last edited by John Hodson; 29-04-2003 at 09:35.
Old 29-04-2003, 10:02   #8
Guest 21489
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by John Hodson
Rex - my dear chap, where have you been?

Oh, gadding about in northern Italy, old boy. Having a ball, but utterly incommunicdo, of course. In the face of this sort of churlishness, it comes as something of a relief to find that my absence from these forums did not meet with a universal welcome.

Quote:
Let there be rejoicing in the streets!
I am sure that you shall share my regret when I tell you that the article dates from as long ago as 1999 (and sincere apologies for not pointing that fact out above). To my knowledge, Warners have made no move to correct this flaw in the interim. Should anyone be in a position to correct me on this impression, please do not hesitate to do so.

Quote:
IMHO that has to be the R1 (or the German R2) of She Wore a Yellow Ribbon.
Oh, yes, spiffing stuff indeed. "Valance" would remain my preference, but I certainly cannot quibble with your recommendation, my dear Hodson. jroadley, old bean, you have some spending to do.

Last edited by Rex Trueform; 29-04-2003 at 10:03.
Old 29-04-2003, 10:09   #9
Guest 1764
Dry hair’s for squids

Quote:
Originally posted by Rex Trueform
In the face of this sort of churlishness, it comes as something of a relief to find that my absence from these forums did not meet with a universal welcome.
Uncalled for I think. Posted a few words in that thread - Rally Round Rex!!
Old 29-04-2003, 10:15   #10
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Quote:
I am sure that you shall share my regret when I tell you that the article dates from as long ago as 1999 (and sincere apologies for not pointing that fact out above). To my knowledge, Warners have made no move to correct this flaw in the interim. Should anyone be in a position to correct me on this impression, please do not hesitate to do so.
Oh dear, hopes raised only to be dashed again. It's really quite peculiar that the American icon that he is, Wayne - and Ford - should be so poorly served at the moment. The R1 of She Wore a Yellow Ribbon has an amazingly good transfer, but the only extra is a rather curious few minutes of Ford 'home movies'.

I only found out recently that the German R2 boasts the same transfer and a lengthy BBC interview with Ford. The R1 Rio Grande at least has a decent, if fluffy, making of featurette, and a fascinating Maureen O'Hara commentary track.

Good to have you back Rex. Whoever you choose to be at least you make a genuine and valuable contribution here.

---
Old 29-04-2003, 13:25   #11
Guest 13065
Trusted User

I bought the She wore a yellow Ribbon German r2 last year.

Outstanding indeed and a great John Ford interview indeed

Old 29-04-2003, 13:30   #12
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

If there's a choice between two DVDs, I always get the wrong one!

BTW oscar, if you manage to smuggle out a job lot of Sunrise DVDs, you know where to find me

---
Old 29-04-2003, 16:40   #13
Guest 29
Last Of The Independents

It's one of the greatest films ever made and don't believe anyone who tells you otherwise.

My DVD Times review of the R2 disc is here

While we're at it, my thoughts on the R1 "Liberty Valance" (not that I could begin to choose between two masterpieces) are here
Old 30-04-2003, 10:31   #14
Guest 21489
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by jonathan.e
Uncalled for I think. Posted a few words in that thread - Rally Round Rex!!
Why, thank you! I am in your debt, my dear fellow.
Old 30-04-2003, 10:32   #15
Guest 21489
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike
My DVD Times review of the R2 disc is here

While we're at it, my thoughts on the R1 "Liberty Valance" (not that I could begin to choose between two masterpieces) are here
My dear sir, I do admire your style as a critic. You have a jolly good eye. For that very reason, I feel compelled to draw your attention to the fact that I had already taken the trouble to direct interested parties to both of these reviews in my posts above!
Old 21-05-2003, 10:35   #16
Guest 21489
Banned

Re: Re: The Searchers (John Wayne) - any good?

Quote:
I say, just noticed that Play have this gem on offer for a mere Ł7.49 at the moment.

Old 21-05-2003, 10:48   #17
Guest 4669
Trusted User

Was bitterly dissapointed with it myself after hearing such hype as above. :rolleyes:

It was OK, but not the classic I was expecting. I much Prefer TGTBATU, Dances With Wolves & Last Of The Mohicans to name but a few.

I'll just bob on my tin hat.
Old 21-05-2003, 16:45   #18
Guest 21866
Trusted User

It's on BBC2 on Saturday.
Old 21-05-2003, 22:08   #19

Quote:
Originally posted by John Hodson
Oh dear, hopes raised only to be dashed again. It's really quite peculiar that the American icon that he is, Wayne - and Ford - should be so poorly served at the moment. The R1 of She Wore a Yellow Ribbon has an amazingly good transfer, but the only extra is a rather curious few minutes of Ford 'home movies'.

I only found out recently that the German R2 boasts the same transfer and a lengthy BBC interview with Ford. The R1 Rio Grande at least has a decent, if fluffy, making of featurette, and a fascinating Maureen O'Hara commentary track.
Is there a decent version of Fort Apache available in any region yet?

Old 21-05-2003, 22:41   #20
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

In a word; no.

---
Closed Thread