Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Music Discussion

Notices

Old 09-04-2013, 08:32   #1
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Cloud music discussion: Spotify/Rdio/Deezer/Napster/Google/Apple, etc - free & paid

Hey all

I know there's a Spotify thread, but now that there are numerous alternative options such as Rdio, Deezer, Napster (Rhapsody?!), Grooveshark, Last FM, plus options like Google Player, iTunes Match and Amazon Cloud Player I thought it would be a good to start a thread to see what people are using and what they've tried, and what they think are the pros and cons of each.

I've been trialling Spotify and Rdio over the last few months. I like both; both have different options I like but neither are the full package yet.

I like the Rdio mobile interface, and I really like the ability to create your own 'Collection', so you can add all your favourite albums to the collection like you would have in iTunes, etc. However, there's no radio option, and doesn't seem to be any options to share playlists, so you're either stuck listening to albums or creating your own playlists, which isn't always ideal.

With Spotify I find the desktop app to be clunky and ugly, but it does work, but it really needs the option to create collections as you can in Rdio. What I really love about Spotify is the radio options, so you can either start a radio by genre or by playing any song, and it lets you 'shape' the radio by giving thumbs up or down on a track. It's not perfect, and often serves up repeated tracks, but it's a great way of listening to new stuff based on the mood you're in!

My monthly sub for Rdio is up in a few days so I think I'll go back with Spotify premium and check back with Rdio at a later time when they've added more features. The other positive for me is that Spotify has a fairly useable Squeezebox app.

I also have all players scrobbling to Last.fm, just as I always like to look back at what I've been listening to over the previous weeks, months, etc.

What really irritates me is that the US prices are the same as the UK pound to dollar, so $9.99 compared to Ł9.99 gives them the same for a third cheaper. Having said that, I've found a number of albums that I like on the UK versions but not on the US (I Am Kloot's last few albums come to mind), so for the hassle of setting up a US virtual credit card to get the US versions I'll probably end up paying more for the UK versions!

So what other music services do people use and prefer? I've considered Amazon Cloud Player to have a cloud copy of all my music as it allows 10x more than iTunes Match and Google Player, but I've read that the mobile interface isn't all that (and the web one certainly isn't very good), plus that then also means continuing a Spotify type sub or buying albums.

Edit: title edited to replace Beats with Apple!

Last edited by Stevie G; 11-12-2015 at 09:55.
Stevie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:52   #2
douglasb
Suedehead.

The Music Fix has a corporate Rdio account. It's supposed to be all about the social side and following other people to see what they're listening to but that doesn't really work (for me anyway). It needs more conversational elements.

By not being able to share playlists, you mean with other users?

douglasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:11   #3
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

I meant more being able to follow other published playlists. It's useful to be able to follow a couple on my laptop and then listen them on Spotify mobile (I tend to use an old Ipod Touch in a portable speaker at home as it lasts all day). It is also good to be able to have a collaborative playlist with friends occasionally (ie when it was my 40th we all chucked suggestions on there).
Old 09-04-2013, 10:12   #4
Wooglie
Rurouni

For cloud I use Google Music. The uploading tool isn't perfect, but the phone and browser apps are. Plus it's completely free which is a bonus.
Wooglie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:46   #5
cedge
PSN: cedge17, Xbox: cedge

I'm currently using Deezer after getting fed up with adverts on Spotify Free.

My Flickr Page | My Twitter | PSN: cedge17, Xbox: cedge
cedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:05   #6
Mr Majestik
Trusted User

Another big fan of google play. It works amazingly well when ever i've tried to listen to stuff via my phone/tablet or work PC.

The initial upload is a bit of a chore but after that it's a breeze.
Mr Majestik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:12   #7
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

I didn't think Google Play was free? And is there a limit to the number of songs?
Old 10-04-2013, 09:32   #8
JamesK
James-K

It's certainly free to upload/match your own music and use.
http://support.google.com/googleplay...answer=1143668
20,000 songs at 300MB per song. A theoretical limit of 6 terrabytes of music. (you will obviously reach the 20,000 limit a lot quicker than that!)
JamesK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:36   #9
JamesK
James-K

I use google music. I don't really listen to much new music any longer so have no particular need for a subscription, just buy stuff when I see something I fancy.

I download to my devices 1 or 2 albums/playlists, but with unlimted data and regular access to wifi, just stream most stuff, which works brilliantly.

The actual app could be better - creating playlists, adding songs to the now playing list and easily getting rid of others isn't easy, but the flexibility it provides for playing all your music whereever you are, for free, is great.
JamesK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:00   #10
GregB
Stagger Lee

I'm in the process of getting all my digital music in place and I'll then get one of the cloud services. Google is very tempting but I suspect I will hit the limit pretty quickly so I may just fork out for the Amazon one .
GregB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 13:27   #11
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Do you have to do it with the Gmail account linked to your Android phone or can I use another email address (ie my own domain sat on Google Apps?)
Old 10-04-2013, 13:56   #12
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Just installed Google Music. It's scanning and uploading, but only gave me a handful of my iTunes playlists to choose from!

I can't actually find the player on Play market either, can anyone give me a link please?!
Old 24-04-2013, 06:14   #13
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

The Google Music "Music Manager" truly is a horrible little app! I have a lot of playlists in iTunes, but when I click on 'choose playlist to upload' in Music Manager it only lists about a dozen playlists, and all completely random! Is there anyway to force it to pick up other playlists?!
Old 25-04-2013, 12:39   #14
Stuee
Trusted User

Does google scan and match actually work? of my 11000 songs in itunes it appeared to match 2 albums!! the rest it is uploading and has been all night!! 4000 so far?
Stuee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2013, 12:46   #15
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Where does it says how many it matched? As I have around 30000 songs in my collection and I pay for Spotify I decided to use Google Music for my compilation albums for now, as I have loads of Gilles Peterson, Future Sound of Jazz, Fabric, etc albums and I doubt much of it is in Spotify, so I've created a playlist in iTunes for Google Music Compilations and chucked all the albums into it. I went into the crappy web app and deleted all songs and finally managed to persuade it to upload from the new playlist. There are around 8000 songs and it's been about 24 hours so far and still has around 1200 to go.

I'm going to see how the player does. I may still try Amazon's player at some point. I really like Spotify but until they have collections it's a pain having to manually search for artist every time I want to listen to a specific album, it'd be much easier if I could just scroll through my preferred ones. Plus my main player at the moment is a very old iPod Touch sat in a portable speaker, so it's not the quickest and the touch screen is a bit rubbish!
Old 26-04-2013, 21:36   #16
Leigh
Happy snapper

Just signed up for a Spotify premium account so i can access it on my Sonos system. So far im impressed and theres a promise that the radio option is coming to Sonos also. With that addition it should be a top choice.

Just finding my way around spotify and liking the apps and ability to add playlists to my sonos system on it (via the desktop app)
Old 27-04-2013, 21:38   #17
paulsaz
360: Loeb PSN: Loebz

Anyone struggling to log in to spotify at the minute. Web site version is fine but the client just keeps telling me I'm offline and coming back with 404 errors.
paulsaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 22:33   #18
Bish

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsaz View Post
Anyone struggling to log in to spotify at the minute. Web site version is fine but the client just keeps telling me I'm offline and coming back with 404 errors.
Yeah same for me, it appears they have problems.
https://twitter.com/SpotifyUK
Old 27-04-2013, 23:08   #19
paulsaz
360: Loeb PSN: Loebz

Wonder if they've tried turning it off and on again?

Ah well web version is tiding me over.
paulsaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 06:51   #20
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Looks like Google Music may be stepping up to take on Spotify;
http://www.theatlanticwire.com/techn...g-music/65236/

Hopefully it'll give Spotify a kick up the arse and improve it's UI and give more control like collections. I find it pretty clunky using on an iPod Touch at the moment. May be swaying back to Rdio if they don't add it soon.

Last edited by Stevie G; 15-05-2013 at 13:02.
Stevie G is offline   Reply With Quote