Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Books and Comics Discussion

Notices

Old 22-04-2018, 15:27   #141
Rob
Indie Author

Yes I'm sure you putting it on HDUK was a big part of it. But the US results were good this time and this probably wasn't anything to do with HDUK, so there's definitely an element of mystery.
Old 22-04-2018, 16:54   #142
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Thanked 1,001 Times in 708 Posts
Is there some sort of app or something that identifies stuff that has a price drop?
jockosjungle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 18:23   #143
Rob
Indie Author

Sales update.

https://monkeyarkwright.wordpress.com/2018/05/08/50-up/
Old 08-05-2018, 21:17   #144
Taq
Evil Scientist

Congrats!
Old 10-05-2018, 13:08   #145
driver8
eviscerate your memory

Thanked 1,841 Times in 766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbullivant View Post
Is there some sort of app or something that identifies stuff that has a price drop?
There's eReaderIQ UK ?
driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 13:16   #146
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Well my wife has decided to publish her modern high society romance novel via Kindle, so thanks to everyone on here I've took up a load of hints and tips. Got a good link for a decent book cover, and not to waste money on certain things.

I read it, it's not really my thing, but it was actually well written and quite interesting.

She has been quite prolific in the writing, and has sequels planned out and almost ready to go.

One thing I feel I've learned here is that it is probably a good idea to have some further sequels ready to go, to potentially cash in on the freebie first book. So she's going to have a sequel ready to go within 90 days!
Old 10-05-2018, 16:27   #147
Taq
Evil Scientist

Just make sure she doesn't have the word 'cocky' in the title!

https://twitter.com/hashtag/cockygate
Old 10-05-2018, 17:32   #148
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Hahah I saw that, personally I think the series went downhill after Cocky Senator.
Old 10-05-2018, 19:57   #149
Rob
Indie Author

Quote:
Well my wife has decided to publish her modern high society romance novel via Kindle, so thanks to everyone on here I've took up a load of hints and tips. Got a good link for a decent book cover, and not to waste money on certain things.

I read it, it's not really my thing, but it was actually well written and quite interesting.

She has been quite prolific in the writing, and has sequels planned out and almost ready to go.

One thing I feel I've learned here is that it is probably a good idea to have some further sequels ready to go, to potentially cash in on the freebie first book. So she's going to have a sequel ready to go within 90 days!
Tell her well done. It's impressive to have a load of sequels lined up as well. Let us know when it's out.

Although I've got the general flow of things mapped out, I still have to chisel away to hone the plot and come up with an engaging flow. More of this in an upcoming post.
Old 11-05-2018, 05:33   #150
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

She's been working on it since she was 16 with no real aim to find a publisher, it's in a genre called "sweet and clean" which appeals to Americans apparently, as they don't like sex in romance books. I take her word she knows the market better than I.
Old 11-05-2018, 05:39   #151
Rob
Indie Author

Quote:
She's been working on it since she was 16 with no real aim to find a publisher, it's in a genre called "sweet and clean" which appeals to Americans apparently, as they don't like sex in romance books. I take her word she knows the market better than I.
Never heard of that genre but I suppose it makes sense.
Old 11-05-2018, 05:41   #152
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

As far as I can tell, when there is an opportunity to go beyond an innocent kiss, like touch a booby or something, they don't seem to.
Old 17-05-2018, 16:55   #153
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Added a review on goodreads to your novel, but didn't use my real name
Old 17-05-2018, 17:10   #154
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Out of interest, is it worth publishing books in other formats like kobo or are they dead formats?
Old 17-05-2018, 20:11   #155
Rob
Indie Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by jockosjungle View Post
Added a review on goodreads to your novel, but didn't use my real name
You're confusing me with the real name stuff. Thanks for adding the review.

Funny thing is, up until about three weeks ago, I was struggling to understand why I only had 3 or 4 reviews on GoodReads, especially when several different people told me that they had left a review. When I did a search, I found that Monkey Arkwright has two entries! Long story short, I contacted the GoodReads librarians and they merged the two for me.

RE: Kobo etc. No idea - part of the deal with Amazon is that for KindleUnlimited, it has to be exclusive. I'm happy with that because it's easy to deal with Amazon and it's hard enough doing a full-time job and keep all the social media plates spinning .... and writing the sequel.
Old 18-05-2018, 11:31   #156
Taq
Evil Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jockosjungle View Post
Out of interest, is it worth publishing books in other formats like kobo or are they dead formats?
As always with these things, some people think it's the best thing they ever did (going non-Amazon exclusive) and others say they never sold anything distributing wide and went back to KDP Select.
Someone like Draft2Digital is handy because you submit once to them and they sort out all the other distribution channels, including Amazon KDP. I'm with D2D, but to be honest I've sold a whole 3 copies outside of Amazon, so I might just go back to KDP Select and try and generate some page reads.

Glossary:
Kindle Unlimited: Subscription service for readers. Pay per month and read anything you want that's in the program.
Amazon KDP: Amazon self publishing. Non exclusive but no access to KU. Will price match other channels.
Amazon KDP Select: Amazon self publishing. Exclusive, renewed every 90 days. Gives access to Kindle Unlimited where authors get paid per page read. You'll get thrown out if you try and flog your books elsewhere. Also gives access to their countdown deals and 'free book' promotions. The last bit is very handy if you want to give away copies to try and get reviews.

Last edited by Taq; 18-05-2018 at 11:33.
Taq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2018, 11:47   #157
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Thanks KDP seems the way to go. She's just about ready to proof a physical copy and the cover design is great (used your suggestion)
Old 18-05-2018, 20:02   #158
Taq
Evil Scientist

I can't emphasise enough how awesome text to speech on Word is for proof reading. I'm doing it now for a final pass on my latest and it's finding stuff my brain just glossed over, or text that just doesn't sound right.
Old 18-05-2018, 20:15   #159
Rob
Indie Author

Just a few stats on KDP for my book. At the stupidly low price that I'm selling at (0.99), I only get 29p per sale in royalty. Over the past three months, I've had 1978 page reads on Kindle Unlimited, for which I've been paid £7.04.

Or to put it another way, every 81 pages read is equivalent to a sale in pure financial terms. My KU page reads goes in fits and starts - I think that every so often, a couple of people discover Monkey Arkwright and read it all the way through, which is a nice feeling! If only I could find a way to tap into the secret of the KindleUnlimited market, I reckon that you could earn a nice amount out of it.
Old 18-05-2018, 20:37   #160
douglasb
Suedehead.

Like anything these days I imagine it's about eyes. Like if JK Rowling gave you a shout out your numbers would probably go through the roof. Doesn't matter if it's music or writing or any other creative project there's so much out there being good is only half the battle. Have you tried getting it in front of *anyone* of note - even locally? I dunno, other local writers or 'tastemakers'?
douglasb is offline   Reply With Quote