Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Books and Comics Discussion

Notices

Old 11-01-2016, 19:58   #1
Taq
Evil Scientist

Hey I wrote a novel!

Because I apparently don't have anything better to do with my life other than play computer games and watch reality TV shows on History, about twenty months ago I decided to write a novel to see if I could. It's taken a lot of evenings and weekends but it's finally finished, and is currently at the bargain price of only Ł2.06 (which apparently is what $2.99 equates to on Amazon)!

In Vitro Lottery eBook: Ed Ryder: Amazon.co.uk: Kindle Store

Here's the blurb...
<<
"We are the last natural generation Kate. What happens next will be in the hands of others."

Decades after the Norwegian Death killed over half the world's population, the children of the survivors can only reproduce via complex fertility treatment. Some can afford it, but for everyone else in a vigilant and isolated Great Britain, there is the In Vitro Lottery.
Kate is happy with her own small existence working in a coastal power station, but when her numbers come up and tragedy strikes she is sent on a collision course with the clinic head Victor Pearson, the political pressure group IVFree and the Government to answer two simple questions: who really controls the future and how far will they go to protect it?

A dark and dystopian tale, In Vitro Lottery explores the consequences of when desire and grief turn to obsession, and asks at which point do scientific ethics end and pragmatic necessity begin?
>>

This piece of blatant self-promotion has been okay'd by Alanb
Old 11-01-2016, 20:14   #2
rustybin
Xbox/PSN Tag: Rustybin69

Congratulations. Looks very interesting. Just bought. Working my way through Nemesis Games, but this will be next on my list.
rustybin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 20:17   #3
Rob
Indie Author

Yes, congratulations and best of luck. Just downloaded and I'll be reading this in a week or so.

I wrote a book with a colleague years ago and we never got past the agent/publisher stage. I guess it's easier these days with ebooks and self publishing - might give it a go one day when I have more time.
Old 11-01-2016, 20:21   #4
Professor Abronsius
Fearless Vampire Killer

Congratulations! Just bought it as well and added it to my reading list.
Professor Abronsius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 06:39   #5
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Thanked 1,030 Times in 725 Posts
Looks interesting, purchased a copy!

Do you get paid if it is read on kindle unlimited? My wife has a subscription so why'll it might not be her cup of tea, I can get her to order it.
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 06:56   #6
tizza
cranial deficient

Well done.
tizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 08:35   #7
ColinP
Egomaniac / Snowflake

Thanked 1,199 Times in 610 Posts
Want me to post something on our Geek:Life section?
Old 12-01-2016, 11:39   #8
Taq
Evil Scientist

Thanks everyone - hopefully it won't suck! It was certainly a lot of fun to do and very interesting learning all about plot structures (above obvious the beginning, middle and end) pacing, characterisation etc and I have a new-found awe for the people who plot out entire seasons of shows or GoT-style epics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinP View Post
Want me to post something on our Geek:Life section?
That would be great thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbullivant View Post
Do you get paid if it is read on kindle unlimited? My wife has a subscription so why'll it might not be her cup of tea, I can get her to order it.
I think I get something, but probably not very much All helps though - thanks!
Old 12-01-2016, 12:29   #9
cliff homewood
Trusted User

Well done Taq, I got 30,000 words into mine around 1990, hit writers block and stopped. Have since worked out the solution to the snag that held me up but never ploughed back into it again as it now looks very dated to me, love the idea, so still would love to do one day, and as I heard an agent say on a podcast the other day; respect to anyone who finishes a novel as it isn't easy.

Now another unknown writer self-publishing, first thoughts it wont be much good, but having read your synopsis you've impressed me with a genuinely original SF, just my sort of thing and would be interested in reading if I didn't have such a backlog. I wish you well and hope amazon fills up with decent reviews of it!

Go Forumers!
cliff homewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 13:12   #10
bumfrog
bum of the highest order

congratulations
bumfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 13:44   #11
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Congrats as well, I always intended to write my own tragic lives book based on my own childhood, I wasn't treated all that badly, but occassionally I'd offer my Dad a bite of my Feast and he'd also take a bite of the chocolate inside (which was fundamentally all of it, as he assumed it was a chocolate core all the way through).

I figured I could probably sell 100 based on family and friends who'd feel obliged and people whose books I have bought.

Never could be bothered though.
Old 12-01-2016, 16:52   #12
cliff homewood
Trusted User

My Nan had a tragic life, would love to be able to be a producer to say make this film. SUrely someone has already, can anyone enlighten. She lived in london and had a young family during WWII, the children were taken away from her to go live at the coast to be safe - which was standard practice. But it was about 5 years before they were returned to her and when they were they had spent their formative years with other families who they regarded as their family having been bought up by them and rejecting their mother on return, she in turn ended up having electric shock therapy.

Now apart from my Nan ending up in a nuthouse being cured by electricity, a lot of london families must have gone through the same thing, therefore you would think there'd be a film made of such a powerful subject matter. I remember the ozzie babyswap movie but cannot recollect one on this, probably some made shortly after the war.
cliff homewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 16:56   #13
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

I've seen films about kids who were evacuated, but nothing like this. It'd make an extremely interesting book. Sadly most of the parents would be dead now, but it'd be harrowing but would be good to have their lives told.
Old 12-01-2016, 17:51   #14
Masukai
Trusted User

Does bOLLecks still frequent the forums? He seems to be doing pretty well these days with his writing.

Congrats Taq on your first novel - hope it leads to bigger things for you.
Masukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 21:02   #15
Taq
Evil Scientist

My main goal at the moment is to sell enough copies to pay for the cover I got made for it
Old 26-01-2016, 19:39   #16
Rob
Indie Author

Well Taq, I finished In Vitro Lottery today and I can tell you that it doesn't suck - in fact far from it. You've written a well plotted novel that paints a bleak picture of Britain in the near future. Your central idea of the lottery is a good one that I don't beleive has been fully explored in other dystopian fiction (Hugh Howey's Wool series did feature a lottery for couples to win the right to have kids, but it certainly wasn't a major plot point, nor was it featured in the detail that you put into it).

I also liked some of the ideas that you managed to pack in - e.g. you've imagined a future where people have jobs transcribing important info from dying computers back to paper and the idea about making money from repackaging 80s/90s engines into new car bodies. It all adds to the dark undertone that you've managed to capture.

One minor criticism I have is that it could could have done with a more detailed re-read and edit; I spotted wrong words (e.g. "should could" instead of "she could"), missing words, too many words quite a few times but to be honest, it didn't detract from the read.

So overall well done - thanks for giving us the opportunity to read your work and I hope you have time to write another!

You've also inspired me to pick up the YA novel that I was working on a few years ago but never got past the first few chapters - I've set myself a target on unleashing it on the world in the next 18 months.
Old 27-01-2016, 06:14   #17
Taq
Evil Scientist

Hi Rob,
Many thanks for the feedback and I'm glad you enjoyed it! I've started getting comments back from people who aren't my mum and so far things are looking quite positive.

A few people have mentioned about the extra editing required (I gave it several passes but obviously missed a few things still) so I'll give it another read through and upload a newer version to Amazon in the near future.
I have a quick favour to ask - could you rate it on Amazon please? A lot of promotional sites won't touch anything unless it has a certain number of reviews associated with it. EDIT: Oh I think you may have already!

Good luck and have fun with your own novel! I found the whole process very interesting and enjoyable - albeit sometimes quite emotional in places.

Last edited by Taq; 27-01-2016 at 09:48.
Taq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 07:23   #18
w_n_s
Scare Mongerer

i'll give it a go after I finish reading my current book (Neil Stephenson - SevenEves - kinda similar human survival subject matter) .

Will review as well and log any spelling mistakes for you. Let me know when you've uploaded the latest version.

Last edited by w_n_s; 27-01-2016 at 08:23.
w_n_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 11:04   #19
Rob
Indie Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taq View Post
I have a quick favour to ask - could you rate it on Amazon please? A lot of promotional sites won't touch anything unless it has a certain number of reviews associated with it. EDIT: Oh I think you may have already!
Yes reviewed, but by giving you 4 out of 5, I've spolied your average!
Old 31-01-2016, 20:45   #20
Taq
Evil Scientist

Deep into the new edit now; I've been using a Word plugin from Grammarly.com and it's caught loads of things that the built-in checker didn't notice.
If anyone's writing anything it's definitely worth a look.