A new bargain has been posted to Tweals:

[ DVD ] MONKEY MAGIC! Monkey the Complete Series is £38.99 on DVD as Base

Click HERE!

For more Tweals bargains visit http://www.tweals.co.uk or follow us on Twitter
ColinP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:54   #2
SimonI
Rude Mechanical

Tempting; coincidentally I watched the first two disks over Christmas and it's still as zany and funny as when I saw it in the '70s. Oddly, though, I didn't care much for the later episodes that were only provided in Japanese. (I think the second series was inferior to the first one as well...) Normally dubs are anathema to me but for Monkey I prefer the English versions.

Not sure if I want to go for the whole set or not... a pity it's not in more compact packaging too!
Old 11-02-2015, 22:27   #3
Paul Moran
Trusted User

The 4 digipak releases (episodes 1-13; 14-26; 27-39; 40-52) have English dubs for all episodes, and the "unseen" episodes are in the correct order in season 2 (episodes 27-52). More expensive, though - I paid a total of £49.22 during 2012. And I was very unhappy with the poor audio quality of episodes 1-13; eventually, Fabulous Films sent me a remastered NTSC version.
Paul Moran is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
SimonI (12-02-2015)
Old 12-02-2015, 09:45   #4
SimonI
Rude Mechanical

I may check those out; were the NTSC versions better?
Old 12-02-2015, 22:31   #5
Paul Moran
Trusted User

The NTSC audio on the Episodes 1-13 set was a definite improvement on the PAL version, and, from memory, about as good as the audio on the other 3 PAL sets (episodes 14-52).

Here's the text of my email to Fabulous Films on 20/2/2012:

Quote:
I mentioned in my first email that I had bought (what I considered to be) a defective set from ChoicesUK in December 2010, and had returned it for refund. I think I sampled all the episodes on all 4 discs, and they all had the same audio problem: a continuous - and very distracting - droning tone.

Naturally, I was looking out for similar audio problems when I got the new set from Play.com. Unfortunately, I found them on the very first episode. The audio quality seemed identical to the ChoicesUK set. I didn't test every episode this time, but I did sample the other three episodes on disc 1, and episode 13 on disc 4. They were all much the same.

If I recall correctly, the droning tone was evident from the very start of the episode, and "resurfaced" during the quieter passages, when not masked by loud music or conversation. I know that audio and video quality on older TV series - and I have quite a lot of these - can sometimes fall well short of modern standards, but I had two reasons for considering the Monkey audio to be defective:

a. the internet forum page I referred to in my first email claimed that replacement sets were "perfect" - not the description I would apply to the sets I bought from ChoicesUK and Play.com.
http://www.network54.com/Forum/17718...+sound+problem...

b. I also have your Monkey box set 2 (episodes 14-26). I was quite happy with the audio with this set. Interestingly, it has a DD 1.0 soundtrack.
This resulted in their offer of an NTSC replacement: "…we released an ntsc set for the us that i know is ok…"
BTW, it was R0, although the slipcase says R1.
Paul Moran is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
SimonI (13-02-2015)
Old 13-02-2015, 00:12   #6
Roberto
OMG! it's full of stars!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonI View Post
I didn't care much for the later episodes that were only provided in Japanese. (I think the second series was inferior to the first one as well...)
It was all about the English dubs for me and added a lot of humor that simply didn't exist in the Japanese version, also they changed Pigsy in the second season so i don't have much enthusiasm about them