Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Books and Comics Discussion

Notices

Old 23-12-2010, 19:24   #21
Guest 752

Finished Steven Erickson's "The Devil Delivered" which I really didn't get, so unfortunatley a thumbs down. Also been reading some short stories from the reprint of the first volume of "The Pan book of horror stories". Enjoyable, but its interesting how much the genre has changed in 50 years.
Old 23-12-2010, 20:45   #22
Guest 32525

Last edited by Jaime; 23-12-2010 at 20:52. Reason: derp, wrong thread
Old 23-12-2010, 20:54   #23
rustybin
Xbox/PSN Tag: Rustybin69

Still reading Red Storm Rising. Bloody long book but brilliant. Please, please, please someone make a film of it.
rustybin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2010, 10:39   #24
beaky
Omnipresent

Not reading but listening to on my ipod Restless by William Boyd. It's excellent
beaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2010, 21:40   #25
Guest 752

Today's book was John Le Carre's "Our kind of traitor" which while enjoyable was nowhere near the quality of his previous novel "Most wanted man". I also completed "End of the line" a collection of horror stories themed around underground systems. Finally I read "Christmas With The Dead" by Joe Lansdale which is this years Christmas Chapbook (a short story published as a stand alone volume) from PS Publishing which has put me in the mood for tomorrows carnage/celebration.
Old 27-12-2010, 11:49   #26
CiderMyth
Random poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SShaw View Post
Kraken is great. One of my favourite books this year. If you haven't read the same authors The City & The City give it a go. Its fantastic.
Word of warning; my wife couldn't stand The City & The City, when she has normally really enjoyed Mieville's work. Personally, I loved it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SShaw View Post
I also completed "End of the line" a collection of horror stories themed around underground systems.
Sounds good, so adding that to my list of books to try

I'm currently reading Operation Napoleon by Arnaldur Indridason (or Indriđason to spell it correctly!). Unfortunately, it's not a patch on his Erlendur detective novels; it feels like a thriller-written-hoping-to-get-movie-rights-sold if you know what I mean.

CM
"Say you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. Suddenly someone says plate, or shrimp, or plate of shrimp. Out of the blue. No use looking for one either. It's part of the lattice of coincidence that lays on top of everything."
CiderMyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2010, 12:32   #27
SIMON ADEBISI

Bro got me An Idiot Abroad for christmas. Great fun to read.
SIMON ADEBISI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2010, 16:19   #28
Guest 752

Over the Christmas break I finished the reprint of the first Pan Book of Horror which I thoroughly enjoyed. In addition I read a number of novellas; A year in the linear city by Paul Di Filippo, My Death by Lisa Tuttle (excellent) and On the Overgrown Path by David Henter (also excellent). I also read another of Titan books Sherlock Holmes pastiches, this time Dr Jeckyll and Mr Holmes. A passable retelling of Dr Jeckyll and Mr Hyde with Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson crowbarred in.
Old 01-01-2011, 16:00   #29
paulsaz
360: Loeb PSN: Loebz

Finally got round to reading the girl with the dragon tattoo, pretty good read really.

Started on The Fry Chronicles, a bit all over the place tbh at the minute. Needed a stronger editor to restrain him a bit and put some structure in.
paulsaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:42   #30
Guest 36572

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsaz View Post
Finally got round to reading the girl with the dragon tattoo, pretty good read really.

Started on The Fry Chronicles, a bit all over the place tbh at the minute. Needed a stronger editor to restrain him a bit and put some structure in.
You should definitely read the other two if you liked the first. I just finished reading through all three.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:44   #31
Guest 36572

Finally started Killing Floor, the first Jack Reacher novel.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:20   #32
Gizmo
Gun? Shot.

Still ploughing through the Chris Donald Viz book - not really that good after a funny start. Got "Delete this at your peril" - The Bob Sargent Emails as a Christmas present, "Bob" being a "Dundonian pensioner" who baffles the email scammers with tales of his life and bizarre anecdotes. BBC Radio Scotland got the great Brian Cox to narrate a couple of the stories, very amusing.

Not read it yet, but the missus picked it up this morning and had tears streaming down her face with laughter.
Old 02-01-2011, 15:36   #33
gjkendall
Gooner

Will be starting to read Harry Hill's 'Living The Dreem' tonight
Old 02-01-2011, 15:52   #34
cedge
PSN: cedge17, Xbox: cedge

Quote:
Originally Posted by rav2k View Post
Finally started Killing Floor, the first Jack Reacher novel.
One of my faves. Just read his 3rd book 'Tripwire' and the last 50-60 pages were excellent although I think the 1st and 2nd books were better.

My Flickr Page | My Twitter | PSN: cedge17, Xbox: cedge
cedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 22:27   #35
Guest 752

Another Novella yesterday, this time some fantasy "Turns and Chances" by Juliet E McKenna. Wasn't bad, but it would have been better developed into a full novel.

I have also started "I Am Number Four" by Pittacus Lore which turns out to be a very bad, cliche ridden, teen riff on Superman. I guess I will continue in the hope it gets better but this is one to miss (and that probably goes for the movie too).
Old 03-01-2011, 11:33   #36
Guest 26778

Just finished American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis, which someone gave me for Christmas, knowing it is one of my favourite films.

First thing - probably the least comfortable I've felt reading a book in public, and that includes Filth by Irvine Welsh, which has some seriously rough content in it. It gets quite hard to read towards the end, due to the content... But overall, I thought it was much better than the film, which mashes the whole thing up too much, and puts a strange emphasis on what are much smaller parts of the plot in the book and ultimately almost loses the key point of the whole story.

I still like the film though. Now if you'll excuse me, I've got an 8pm rez at Dorcia with Cliff Huxtable. And I have to return some videotapes.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:57   #37
SIMON ADEBISI

The murder descriptions in that book are insane but the part that actually made me feel ill was when he describes microwaving a jellyfish
SIMON ADEBISI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 15:27   #38
Guest 26778

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON ADEBISI View Post
The murder descriptions in that book are insane but the part that actually made me feel ill was when he describes microwaving a jellyfish
More than...

That's the worst thing I've ever seen in print. The whole thing is much, much darker than the film is, or ever could be.
Old 03-01-2011, 16:16   #39
SimonI
Rude Mechanical

Finished Iain Banks' Transition which was a real mind bender (going to follow on with his iPhone app) and now in the middle of One hundred years of solitude - fantastic!
Old 04-01-2011, 11:34   #40
paulsaz
360: Loeb PSN: Loebz

Finished the fry chronicles. I love Stephen Fry, think he's brilliant, but this is a terrible autobiography. He tells you nothing intimate or personal and it's simply a glossing over of how he was recruited from cambridge into the world of loviedum.

The worst thing about the book is that he spends half of it telling you how terrible it must read and you have to agree with him.

Onto the girl who played with fire then.
paulsaz is offline   Reply With Quote