Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Notices

Old 11-07-2018, 21:12   #1021
loftus
Trusted User

This tournament has restored my interest in the national team, to the extent that I'm going to start going to watch them again for the first time in many years. There is plenty of room for improvement but the building blocks are there now, with other young players waiting in the wings.
We lack in certain areas, namely up front to play with Kane and a spark of creativity in midfield, but if players like Lallana can stay fit, even a fit and playing regularly Wilshere, they can add a little of that. They're not Modric by any stretch but not many players are. Gomez, Alexander-Arnold, Sessegnon, even someone like Targett if he continues the development he showed last season at Fulham can challenge over the next couple of seasons.
No complaints today, we didn't take the chances when we had them, an issue all tournament, and became ragged under pressure in the second half. Kane dropping deeper has struggled in the last couple of games and the passing and movement faded. Southgate knows where the work needs to be done so now let's give him the chance to do it.

Last edited by loftus; 11-07-2018 at 21:13.
loftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 21:14   #1022
HenryKrinkle
Clean, like my conscience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
He's not been good enough in the knockout stage and has missed a hatful of chances. He is a good player, but world class? He may win the Golden Boot of course. Between them, Kane, Sterling and Lingard have missed a boatload of chances.

Not knocking them for effort, all I'm saying is that we don't have the individual stars that other teams have - what we do have is team spirit.
...you speak the truth!
Old 11-07-2018, 21:15   #1023
Ravioli

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltysam View Post
Kane? he's world class and in the top 3-4 strikers around.
He is, but he fed off scraps and set pieces all tournament. We've not had enough quality between the midfield and attack. Unfortunately we missed a few players that could have done that job with injuries.
Ravioli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 21:16   #1024
Ravioli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raigmore View Post
I felt sorry for the young players, Trippier especially as he gave it 120% most of the time.
He was our best player at the World Cup.
Old 11-07-2018, 21:17   #1025
MaxNutter

Our failure to score in open play was always going to prove costly at some point. Croatia limited our chances for set pieces and it was ultimately decisive

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old 11-07-2018, 21:20   #1026
MaxNutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravioli View Post
Wait till his separated at birth twin Adambrunt turns up
Oh god. Deep joy.

Old 11-07-2018, 21:21   #1027
Rob
Indie Author

Quote:
He was our best player at the World Cup.
Definitely. Feels li,e we let one slip through the net at City there.

I think Pickford, Walker, Stones, McGuire and Trippier have all been fantastic over this World Cup. When you watch the World Cup and Euros over the years, you get used to seeing the big teams turn up with a relatively stable lineup for four or five tournaments in a row. With that England defence, that could happen for the next few World Cups and Euros.

Well, maybe the next two anyway!

Last edited by Rob; 11-07-2018 at 21:22.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 21:23   #1028
madstu
Trusted User

Quote:
He's not been good enough in the knockout stage and has missed a hatful of chances. He is a good player, but world class? He may win the Golden Boot of course. Between them, Kane, Sterling and Lingard have missed a boatload of chances.

Not knocking them for effort, all I'm saying is that we don't have the individual stars that other teams have - what we do have is team spirit.

Of course Kane is World Class. Name 5 better strikers?

Correct me if Iím wrong, Messi and/ or Ronaldo have never scored a goal in the WC knockout stages? Doesnít mean they are not world class does it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-07-2018, 21:27   #1029
Rob
Indie Author

Griezmann, Aguero, Mbappe, Suarez, Cavani, Neymar, Hazard, Ronaldo off the top of my head.

Like I said, I'm not knocking Kane. All I'm saying is that we don't have any players who are in the top 3 or 4 in their position. In tight matches and situations, that has to make a difference.

Last edited by Rob; 11-07-2018 at 21:32.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 21:35   #1030
cheeseypuffs
Trusted User

I think in the first 4 games Kane had only had 1 chance made for him (the winner against Tunisia) and yet he had 6 goals! One simple improvement is making more chances for him, alternatively if he's getting all the defensive attention then a second goalscorer to take advantage of the space is something we need to find.
Also, the first 3 subs were just like for like replacements, so probably shows Southgate was looking to consolidate and get to penalties rather than change the way the game was going. If we'd have made it I don't think anyone would care, but it's something to consider for the next tournament.
I hope we go all out for a goal fest on Saturday, there's really little to lose in that game so why not? I think we've got to be proud of how well they've done, a few weeks ago I don't think anyone could realistically have suggested they would be disappointed to go out in the semi finals!

Last edited by cheeseypuffs; 11-07-2018 at 21:36.
cheeseypuffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 21:39   #1031
MICON
Trusted User

Funny how the truth hurts.

Last edited by MICON; 12-07-2018 at 06:41.
MICON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 21:39   #1032
madstu
Trusted User

Quote:
Griezmann, Aguero, Mbappe, Suarez, Cavani, Neymar, Hazard, Ronaldo off the top of my head.

Like I said, I'm not knocking Kane. All I'm saying is that we don't have any players who are in the top 3 or 4 in their position. In tight matches and situations, that has to make a difference.

Kane is unquestionably better than Aguero, Cavani and Hazard. A very good argument to be had that heís better than Griezmann and Suarez (as he is now), Mbappe is an amazing talent who could be the best player in the world, but heís not the finished article, and Neymar is a complete knob.

Kane is definitely World Class by any measure, and Iím certainly no Spurs fan - and Spurs wouldnít swap him for any player you have listed.

Old 11-07-2018, 21:41   #1033
wasted
Was looney, still can be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxNutter View Post
Our failure to score in open play was always going to prove costly at some point. Croatia limited our chances for set pieces and it was ultimately decisive

That is exactly what I thought, we did not have the play to make goals, only in set pieces which we did not do.
Old 11-07-2018, 21:41   #1034
madstu
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICON View Post
Funny how the truth hurts. idiots.

What truth is that, that you need help.

Old 11-07-2018, 21:46   #1035
DeadYankee

Thanked 1,773 Times in 971 Posts
Gutted but overall a great tournament. No point in singling out anyone for criticism. We could have done better tonight but it’s impossible to replicate the pressure on this young team. I have faith in Southgate and the majority of this team. I just wish we didn’t always revert to giving the ball away under pressure.
DeadYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 21:46   #1036
MaxNutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICON View Post
Funny how the truth hurts.
If I hear it, I will let you know. Its certainly not in any of your posts

Last edited by Alan b; 12-07-2018 at 09:06.
MaxNutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 22:21   #1037
cheeseypuffs
Trusted User

It's obviously disappointing now, but more so for the missed opportunity, I doubt it will open up so much in 4 years time. Whilst they have some good players Croatia were there for the taking really, it was a very winnable tie for us.

It's difficult to think of anyone else that Southgate could've had in the squad to make an impact. If it wasn't for injury possibly Oxlade-Chamberlain or Lallana could've provided some creativity. Perhaps Walcott or even Shelvey (on one of his good days) could offer something? After that you have to start looking at the likes of Wilshere, Albrighton, Carroll, Barkley, Noble, Surman, Winks,...
cheeseypuffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 22:21   #1038
Bravoman
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadYankee View Post
Gutted but overall a great tournament. No point in singling out anyone for criticism. We could have done better tonight but itís impossible to replicate the pressure on this young team. I have faith in Southgate and the majority of this team. I just wish we didnít always revert to giving the ball away under pressure.
Agree, itís a pity we didnít take a few of those chances in the first half as it could have been a totally different result. A team with such good midfield players as the Croatians have was never going to roll over....we dared to dream.

Roll on the Euros and Qatar!
Bravoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 22:28   #1039
Ravioli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravoman View Post
Roll on the Euros
Football's coming home in 2020, as the final is at Wembley
Old 11-07-2018, 22:36   #1040
Bravoman
Trusted User

Quote:
Football's coming home in 2020, as the final is at Wembley
didnít realise that. Also didnít realise there is no host nation, itís apread across 12 European Countries.
Bravoman is offline   Reply With Quote