Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gaming Forums > Video Games Forum

Notices

Old 17-05-2018, 16:42   #1
kanedaa
XBL: kanedaa

Thanked 1,319 Times in 874 Posts
Onrush - PS4/XB1

Open Beta is now live and runs until Sunday, 20th May.

For those who don't know this is the first game from Codemasters' new "Evo" team - basically Evolution Studios who previously developed Motorstorm and Driveclub. Unlike those games Onrush is multi-platform coming to PS4 and Xbox One on June 5th and later to PC.

It's a racing game with no racing. A predominantly multiplayer team based game where it's about taking out the other team rather than crossing the non-existent finish line first.

This eurogamer video explains it better:

Last edited by kanedaa; 11-07-2018 at 09:33.
kanedaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2018, 16:48   #2
kanedaa

XB1: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/stor...a/bprg44v1wpts

PS4: https://store.playstation.com/en-gb/...RUSHBETA000000

FYI: The game has "Prioritise Resolution" 30FPS and "Prioritise Framerate" 60FPS modes on both standard and enhanced consoles (at least for PS4, not sure about standard XB1). It defaults to 30FPS on base PS4, and 60FPS on PS4 Pro and XB1X. Change the setting in the graphics setting menu.

I've only had 2 matches and it all seems a bit aimless to me. I was put off when they first revealed it didn't have regular racing but I'll continue to give it a chance this weekend. My main initial positive at the moment is that it looks (graphically) much better than the youtube videos suggested (youtube compression isn't well suited to racing games).
Old 20-05-2018, 07:49   #3
kanedaa

I put in another hour or so and I'm pretty confident it's not for me.

That aimless sense persists in that I just don't know what I'm really contributing half the time. Of the two modes in the beta 'Countdown' is easily the best as I have a target (drive through the green checkpoints = add time to my team's counter), I feel like I know what I'm doing and it also feels closest to an arcade racer with battle elements.

The other mode - Overdrive - is the over end of the spectrum where I'm just boosting constantly waiting for meters to build up, trying to take out the other team but because everyone is boosting at seemingly the same top speed it always feels like I'm just out of reach. This is the aimless mode for me. Win or lose I don't really care and the way the game doles out awards for all manner of things makes it seem like you're not meant to.

Wrecking the fodder is meaningless - they're just litter on the road you drive through - while wrecking the opposing team feels quite hit and miss with collision detection a bit iffy at times. The number of times some git just randomly lands on top of me and takes me out is way too frequent as well.

The two tracks I've seen in the beta are quite bland. Big wide open spaces, hills and jumps with some obstacles, but nothing of real note in terms of layout or design.

If there's any depth here it's going to come from team play and the different vehicles which all have unique abilities 90% of which I don't understand after my brief time with it.

Apparently there's 4 modes in the final game, so not much more than what's in the beta. Honestly it feels like the multiplayer mode of a game with a proper single player racing experience, but it's not. This is the whole game as far as I can tell. There will be a single player campaign, but it's based around the same modes.
Old 21-05-2018, 17:17   #4
kanedaa

In case anyone is interested they've extended the beta to Tuesday 22nd May now and also added 2 extra tracks to the rotation.

This is a useful read (#2 in particular):

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2018...ps4-this-week/

I already understood the Countdown mode but that helped a lot with Overdrive - explaining the yellow boost chain meter I'd seen and how to capitalise on the points by using Rush at the right time. This has improved the Overdrive mode massively for me, though the problems with collision detection (be it netcode or a visual feedback thing) persist with well over 50% of the time I'm taken out resulting in a "WTF, they didn't even touch me" response.

The 2 new tracks are a lot more interesting as well with multiple and more distinct routes to take.

I've played for a good 4-5hrs now and it's definitely got some appeal but I think I'm happy with this beta period. Multiplayer only games aren't for me as they just feel like a hollow experience, but I've had some fun with this while it lasted.
Old 04-06-2018, 23:44   #5
T4V
PSN=The4thViewer XBL=t4v

It does look like a true successor to Motorstorm, Digital Foundry have been covering it for a while and I like the look of it but not full price like.

Shame it doesn’t have trucks anymore.

Last edited by T4V; 04-06-2018 at 23:45.
T4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 08:19   #6
kanedaa

Reviews should be out at 9am. It's a weird one for me as while I had some complaints the beta did pull me back several times and the more I played and understood it the more I enjoyed it. I'd certainly like to play the final game but it does seem expensive.

Apparently there's a big single player campaign but their marketing has been **** and hasn't outlined the content very well. Hopefully the reviews will clear that up.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:22   #7
kanedaa

Well this reviewed well but apparently sold very poorly.

Free weekend for PS4 running 6th-9th July and it's also 50% off for PS+ members at the moment (making it £27.49).
Old 06-07-2018, 10:33   #8
TonyG
Xbox Live: Tony Gster

It's also a Free Weekend on Xbox too.

Will give it a go as it does sound interesting but even at the current reduced price, it still feels overpriced for what it currently offers...
TonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 11:09   #9
T4V
PSN=The4thViewer XBL=t4v

Being a first party developer helps with titles like this, they need the clout of a Sony or an Xbox to push it, you can't sell a game like this, 3rd party, full price.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:20   #10
kanedaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyG View Post
It's also a Free Weekend on Xbox too.
Oh right, I hadn't seen that advertised. I know Rocket League is free on Xbox this weekend but saw no mention of this.
Old 06-07-2018, 13:58   #11
TonyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanedaa View Post
Oh right, I hadn't seen that advertised. I know Rocket League is free on Xbox this weekend but saw no mention of this.
Ahh, that'll teach me to trust Reddit! ... The Xbox free weekend will arrive in the "near future"...
Old 09-07-2018, 18:43   #12
kanedaa

Free play days on XB1 confirmed to run from 10th July to 15th July. That's midnight tonight until Sunday.
Old 10-07-2018, 08:58   #13
Out for Justice
XBL: ShookusDaBookus

Quote:
Free play days on XB1 confirmed to run from 10th July to 15th July. That's midnight tonight until Sunday.
Might give it a go at that price.

Edit: Showing as £54.99

Guess it will be free a bit later today.

Last edited by Out for Justice; 10-07-2018 at 09:00.
Out for Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 09:39   #14
kanedaa

There's a free trial option next to the buy button.
Old 10-07-2018, 11:17   #15
Out for Justice

Quote:
There's a free trial option next to the buy button.
Not showing on my phone app.

Will grab it later though. Cheers.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:09   #16
TonyG

Played through the free hour of gameplay & it confirmed that this game isn't for me. Can't fault the visuals, the tracks & the overall presentation but the all important gameplay just feels aimless, random & lacking any excitement. Just feels like you spend most of the game with your thumb on the boost button & just out of reach of the other team's vehicles who are also constantly boosting.

I'd happily play it if it appears on GWG or game-pass in the future...
Old 11-07-2018, 09:33   #17
kanedaa

Oh it's just a free trial. That's a bit crap after they did a proper free weekend on PS4.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:45   #18
TonyG

Yeah, I was surprised when it kicked me out after an hour although to be fair, It was enough to make my decision. No achievements unlocked so I assume it won't carry across my campaign progress if I did buy the game proper? ... Although it did seem to download the full game (almost 27Gb?)
Old 11-07-2018, 11:35   #19
kanedaa

It's such a weird game. You used some of the same words I did back when I played the Beta (aimless, random, boosting but just out of reach etc) but I kept at it and learned how the modes worked and it became a much more enjoyable game. The thing is it needs that time commitment so unless they either give a longer trial or it just clicks with you faster it's a tough sell.

I actually picked up the full game the other week and only just got around to it the other day. So far I think the single player campaign works really and does a good job of easing you into each of the modes and the vehicles, cordoning them off so you can concentrate on one mode and vehicle at a time, all with their own intro videos. I still have to remind myself of the various abilities each vehicle has though as it's a lot to remember and they look quite similar.

It's fun but I'm not sure it'll hold my attention beyond the campaign.
Old 13-07-2018, 09:27   #20
Out for Justice

This got uninstalled pretty sharpish

I like their concept of a race that's not a race but there's not nearly enough content or involvement to make it interesting.

Perhaps marketing this as a free to play game might have been a better tactic building a stronger online presence and starting off on the right foot with customers. Maybe a few streamers might have picked it up.