Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Books and Comics Discussion

Notices

Old 14-06-2018, 23:49   #1041
dbilsborough
Having a mid-life crisis

The Moscow Cipher (Ben Hope, Book 17)

A good addition to the series

Bad Self: A sensational DS Lasser crime thriller (The DS Lasser series Book 8)

Crave: How far would you go to save the ones you love! (The DS Lasser Series Book 9)

Both good reads

Lost Creed

OK, but not the best in the series
dbilsborough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 11:11   #1042
allan175
Trusted User

Missed a couple of months, but the last couple of book club books were:-

Ice by Anna Kavan. Supposedly a classic but I found it absolutely awful. Disjointed, no real plot, and one of the worst books I've read. On the other hand, one of the people said "It's a masterpiece, 10/10"! It totally split the group with low & high scores but no middle scores at all.

Then we had Memory of Water by Emmi Itäranta. This was a much better book, well written and a very pleasant read. The group almost universally gave it high scores, with only one middling score.

Next month's book is Everfair by Nisi Shawl. The premise sounds good, but I've only read the prologue so I've no idea how it'll turn out. Only got a couple of weeks to read it!
Old 18-07-2018, 23:01   #1043
dbilsborough
Having a mid-life crisis

Moments Back: A darkly compelling DS Lasser mystery. (DS Lasser series Book 10)

Conspiracy of Ravens: A nerve-shredding DS Lasser thriller. (DS Lasser series Book 11)

Dark Necessities: A totally absorbing DS Lasser thriller (DS Lasser series Book 12)

Still enjoying this series, currently reading book 13

You Were Gone: I buried you. I mourned you. But now you're back The Sunday Times Bestseller

Another great addition to the series, well worth a read
Old 20-07-2018, 12:24   #1044
SimonI
Rude Mechanical

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan175 View Post
The first two books of Gormenghast is one of my favourite books. I wasn't that impressed with "Titus Alone", although maybe I was just in the wrong mood when I read it. That happened with the main series too, I started reading it about the same time as you (30 years ago) and thought "This is rubbish!" and didn't pick it up for another 5 years. At which point I thought it was amazing! And I've reread/listened to them several times. I've not re-read Titus Alone although I probably should.

I've not read this either, but I probably should!
Titus Awakes: The Lost Book of Gormenghast (Gormenghast Trilogy 4)
I'd not heard of that fourth book either but reading the reviews I don't think I'll bother. I was also not that impressed with Titus Alone on the second read. It has interesting ideas but the characters all seem too sketchy and forced to be of interest and ultimately I found it to be a very frustrating book to read.

Curiously, I have the Folio Society edition with an introduction by Michael Moorcock, who states that for him, Titus Alone is the best book of the three

I'm now reading Tender is the Night; I'm finding it difficult and a bit frustrating. The language is actually a bit alien to me - I can only assume that to a US readership in the 1930s a lot of the phrases mean something. It also seems like things are missed out, as conversations and bahaviour seem to jump from one state to the next with no intermediate development.
Old 23-07-2018, 13:12   #1045
allan175
Trusted User

Quote:
Next month's book is Everfair by Nisi Shawl. The premise sounds good, but I've only read the prologue so I've no idea how it'll turn out. Only got a couple of weeks to read it!
Well, I didn't get much further with this one. I read about 20% and just couldn't get into it at all. Probably didn't help I was also getting ready to go on holiday. I didn't end up at the book club meeting about it because I hadn't read enough to comment (and I might actually read it one day, what I read wasn't actually bad). Not heard from the others at the book club so I don't know how well it went down with anyone else.

This month it is The Relic Guild by Edward Cox. I'm enjoying it so far. Only about 10% into it but I want to read it and the story is moving along at a decent pace so it's keeping my interest.
Old 03-09-2018, 16:14   #1046
allan175
Trusted User

Quote:
Well, I didn't get much further with this one. I read about 20% and just couldn't get into it at all. Probably didn't help I was also getting ready to go on holiday. I didn't end up at the book club meeting about it because I hadn't read enough to comment (and I might actually read it one day, what I read wasn't actually bad). Not heard from the others at the book club so I don't know how well it went down with anyone else.

This month it is The Relic Guild by Edward Cox. I'm enjoying it so far. Only about 10% into it but I want to read it and the story is moving along at a decent pace so it's keeping my interest.
Well, I only got halfway through the Relic Guild, it was ok but not that engaging. The main problem was trying to squeeze in lots of "history" to fill in stuff the author obviously wanted you to know before he introduced something, those chapters really dragged and interrupted the main story way too much and way too long.

Moved on to Strange Weather by Joe Hill. Four novellas. Initially I enjoyed the first story but that was about it and I was fed up of the first one before I'd finished it. The subsequent stories were disappointing. After I'd finished it I found out he's Stephen King's son, and finding that out made me realise I didn't enjoy the style/tone of the writing in the same way I'm not keen on King's. Book club about it tonight so I'll see what other's thought. I know some are saying they really enjoyed it.

This month it's Glorious Angels by Justina Robson, I'm only just started but I'm finding it hard going too! Not really sure why yet, possibly just tiredness. We'll see how it goes.
Old 26-09-2018, 11:08   #1047
dbilsborough
Having a mid-life crisis

Living Ashes: A heart-stopping DS Lasser mystery (DS Lasser series Book 13)

Stations of the Cross: A cracking DS Lasser crime mystery

The One With All The Pain (DS Lasser series Book 15)

Shadows Cast: A riveting Lasser novel (DS Lasser Book 16)

Really enjoy this author's work, highly recommended

Stormcock: A compelling new series from the author of the DS Lasser crime novels. (Plymouth Book 1)

By the same author, follows one of the other characters from the series above

Currently reading:

Seven Bridges: A DCI Ryan Mystery (The DCI Ryan Mysteries Book 8)

LJ Ross writes easy to read books, enjoying this one so far

Last edited by dbilsborough; 26-09-2018 at 11:09.
Old 27-09-2018, 12:28   #1048
SimonI
Rude Mechanical

I battled my way to the end of Tender is the Night and my opinion of it didn't improve. I will read some more of his work - probably Gatsby - and hope it fares better than this one did for me.

My next read was Peter Carey's Parrot and Olivier in America. Carey is a master storyteller (William Boyd is another) - his novels never fail to be highly entertaining and thought provoking. This one is no exception.

Currently working my way through the second of Louis de Bernieres' Latin American trilogy, Señor Vivo and the Coca Lord (somehow I read the first and third first). They are all very funny and a beautiful homage to LAM writing.
Old 04-10-2018, 22:00   #1049
DeadYankee

Thanked 1,782 Times in 974 Posts
The best two books I’ve read recently are both non fiction and powerful analyses of the human condition in the 21st Century

Ten Types of Human by Dexter Dias is a thought provoking and often painful look at basic human personality types through page turning real life examples. It’s a stunning piece of work.

21 Lessons for life in the 21st Century by Noah Yuval Harari is more an analysis of the perceived failures of Communism, Fascism and now Liberalism as means of answering global problems. It’s a frightening but very engaging insight into why we are doomed as a species.
DeadYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 12:32   #1050
douglasb
Suedehead.

Depressed now.
douglasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2018, 11:13   #1051
SimonI
Rude Mechanical

Now reading some Dickens -A Tale of Two Cities, have just finished the first "book", which was strikingly written.