Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Notices

Old 28-03-2018, 06:56   #21
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

It was just as much a penalty as all the ones Vardy, Ali and Kane have been getting in the PL all season.

Typical English - can't take it when teams play them at their own game. But I suppose it is easier to blame VAR than to admit the truth
AdamBrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2018, 08:44   #22
douglasb
Suedehead.

Italians invented falling down. Everyone else has been playing catch up.
douglasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2018, 09:07   #23
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

I think these friendlies have shown that whilst we may not be a force at the World Cup, we may not embarrass ourselves, especially with the group we are in. We seem to have a group of players who are playing quite well together.

I'm wondering if a bet on yellow and reds in the world cup is a good one? With all the VAR, I can see them flying.
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2018, 18:54   #24
mjb1975
Blandiblub

I'd imagine a large proportion of the country doesn't think he should go to Russia.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the squad though. . Southgate will probably claim experience or something.

The three should be Pickford, Butland and Pope. But Hart will go. I have a bad feeling about poor ol' Nick Pope.

Still, scope to be surprised.
Old 18-04-2018, 17:04   #25
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Has anyone ever needed a third keeper at the world cup? All I ever recall is that I remember teams producing outfield shirts for their reserve keepers as they've run out of outfield players.

Is it a requirement to take one?

Either way, I wouldn't take Hart. He's now a mediocre keeper playing for a mediocre team, not sure what he's bringing to the table, whilst we have more competent players in the position. Time to bin off the tail end of the golden generation.
Old 18-04-2018, 18:30   #26
Rob
Indie Author

The 3rd keeper requirement came in in 1934 - only 4 times has the 3rd keeper actually played.
Old 24-04-2018, 08:58   #27
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

It's also a new League of Nations format and a change to the World Club Cup to turn that into more of a watchable format as far as I can tell. Not bad for Ł25bn (from FIFA perspective anyway)
Old 15-05-2018, 12:12   #28
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

I know it probably gets mentioned every tournament but ... the number of pundits who have jumped on to publicly funded BBC jamboree to Russia is obscene ( and that doesn't include the dozens of behind the scenes staff who are no doubt going as well ) .

In this day and age there is ZERO need for ANY of them to leave the country but still the licence fee payers will end up paying millions to fund the jolly boys outing.
Old 15-05-2018, 12:47   #29
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

I don't know, I like to see overpaid former players standing in St Peters Square whilst locals and fans see if they can get a middle finger onto the screen or toss a beach ball at them.

Are we ready for a new World Cup thread or does someone want to change the title?

Eagerly awaiting the England squad announcement, I'd certainly take Nick Pope ahead of Joe Hart, I'd probably also play him.
Old 15-05-2018, 17:59   #30
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

BBC reporting Hart and Wiltshere not going

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44132401
Old 16-05-2018, 13:30   #31
MaxNutter

I'd go for:
Goalkeepers: Jordan Pickford (Everton), Jack Butland (Stoke), Nick Pope (Burnley)

Defenders: Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Kyle Walker (Man City), Kieran Trippier, Danny Rose (both Tottenham), Harry Maguire (Leicester), Phil Jones (Man Utd), John Stones (Man City), Gary Cahill (Chelsea)

Midfielder: Jordan Henderson, (Liverpool), Eric Dier, Dele Alli (both Tottenham), Jesse Lingard, Ashley Young (both Man Utd), Fabian Delph (Man City), Ruben Loftus-Cheek (Chelsea),

Forwards: Raheem Sterling (Man City), Jamie Vardy (Leicester), Harry Kane (Tottenham), Marcus Rashford (Man Utd), Danny Welbeck (Arsenal).
Old 16-05-2018, 13:44   #32
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

It's official!

Goalkeepers: Jack Butland (Stoke), Jordan Pickford (Everton), Nick Pope (Burnley).

Defenders: Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Kyle Walker, John Stones (Manchester City), Harry Maguire (Leicester), Kieran Trippier, Danny Rose (Tottenham Hotspur), Phil Jones, Ashley Young (Manchester United).

Midfielders: Eric Dier, Dele Alli (both Tottenham Hotspur), Jesse Lingard (Manchester United), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Fabian Delph (Manchester City), Ruben Loftus-Cheek (Chelsea).

Forwards: Jamie Vardy (Leicester), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City), Danny Welbeck (Arsenal) Harry Kane (Tottenham).

Standby: Tom Heaton, James Tarkowski (Burnley), Lewis Cook (Bournemouth), Jake Livermore (West Brom) and Adam Lallana (Liverpool).

Hart not even on standby, do you reckon he told them to stuff it?
Old 16-05-2018, 18:20   #33
Rob
Indie Author

For some reason, I like the look of this squad. It's refreshingly free of egos, has some solid players and a few youngsters. I don't expect us to win the World Cup, but I think that Gareth Southgate is making this best of his options, playing to his strengths and, as ever, it will be interesting to see how things pan out.

Re; Hart. I just think that despite his experience and, Iceland aside, good performances for England, he's just not been good enough when given the chance this season and Southgate has made the sensible call. The World Cup is a bit of a circus anyway, can you imagine the pressure that player and manager would be under if called on?
Old 16-05-2018, 19:31   #34
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

I think it's as decent a squad as you're going to get, I can't say I'm hopeful but you never know. We should get out of the group, then in reality its just the luck of the draw to some extent. Always some team who has managed to get to the semis without playing anyone decent, it might be our turn!
Old 16-05-2018, 20:48   #35
reecie
Gamertag: Reecie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jockosjungle View Post
I think it's as decent a squad as you're going to get, I can't say I'm hopeful but you never know. We should get out of the group, then in reality its just the luck of the draw to some extent. Always some team who has managed to get to the semis without playing anyone decent, it might be our turn!
Doubt it as regardless of whether we win the group or come second if we assume results go as expected we would play either Brazil or Germany in the qtrs.
reecie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2018, 17:55   #36
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Seems to be getting some stick for the lack of experience in the squad, but not sure what having Joe Hart hanging around would really add to it. It seems to be the best squad we can muster.
Old 18-05-2018, 06:53   #37
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
And that will be the line the media will go with IF England get out of their group; it's all about the luck of the draw, everyone has as good a chance as everyone else. As if the the likes of Brazil, Germany , France will all be hoping for a kind draw - good teams like them and unlike England - don't need kind draws.
Old 18-05-2018, 08:38   #38
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Yet when we last got a kind draw (Italia 90) they returned as heroes.

I always like to be optimistic before a tournament, not sure why. Does any team really expect to win a World cup?
Old 18-05-2018, 09:08   #39
cheeseypuffs
Trusted User

Quote:
Does any team really expect to win a World cup?
Brazil always expect to
Italy usually do
Germany know they can
cheeseypuffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2018, 11:45   #40
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Well 3 teams really cannot expect to win it and you'd be a fool to bet on Italy, haha. they're also just about as likely not to qualify than win it.

So what would be deemed a good result for England if we think winning is off the table? Quarters?