Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > ADMIN ANNOUNCEMENTS FORUM

Notices

Old 14-05-2018, 16:36   #1
ColinP
Egomaniac / Snowflake

Thanked 1,204 Times in 615 Posts
GDPR NOTIFICATIONS AND INFORMATION

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS IS A LIVE DOCUMENT AND MAY CHANGE IN THE RUN UP TO 25TH MAY 2018 - THE DATE AT WHICH GDPR REGULATION COMES INTO EFFECT

As part of our GDPR obligations we'll be doing a few things over the next two weeks.

1) We will be deleting ALL historical tracking data and going forward will no longer be storing any IP outside of normal webserver logs which we only have access to a small subset of at any time. The remainder are deleted within days.

2) We'll be allowing users with accounts with their REAL NAMES to update their username. We'll provide more information on this in the next few days.

3) We'll be deleting ALL user accounts of anyone who hasn't logged in in the last TWO years.

UPDATE: We will be ANONYMISING the data on all account that have not been accessed in TWO years. This will involve changing the username and email address to an anonymised value. We'll also remove signatures and all social account information from these accounts.

If you are a long-term user and wish to keep your account, please can you ensure you've logged in within the last two years! If you're reading this then you probably have so no worries there.

3a) This includes accounts for banned users.

3b) All posts by deleted accounts will remain in the system.

4) We'll be emailing anyone left in the database with an update on what personal data we store - right now the key data we should inform you about appears to be:

i) Username
ii) IP addresses (these will be deleted)
iii) Date of Birth
iv) Email address

5) We have already deleted all social account login information and no longer can tie a user to a social network in this way.

6) We will be providing functionality for anyone who has any data left in the system to view a page that will give them all of the data we hold on them in JSON format. This may or may not be ready in time for 25th May. This will not include post data but that is already available to view via the standard search functionality of the site.

7) We have already cleared out around 100,000 threads that were in closed, locked and hidden forums - these were threads that were removed but kept for reference, expired posts and other similar content.

8) We have no historical emails stored on any Digital Fix account as these were deleted as part of a server migration and since then all admin discussions are carried out on site in a private, pruned, forum.

9) All user account information has already been removed for all users other than authors on the rest of The Digital Fix

10) We are talking with Patreon regarding any data implications there but currently share no data directly with them and don't use any of their APIs at present.

If you would like us to delete your account or posts, or change your username please email us at gdpr@poisonousmonkey.com. PLEASE BE AWARE THAT WE EXPECT TO BE BUSY SO IT MAY TAKE US A LITTLE TIME TO DEAL WITH YOUR REQUEST.
Old 14-05-2018, 20:25   #2
scoobyood
Tony Danza

25th May for GDPR regs... not June..

... and I can post in here? Doesn't seem right.
scoobyood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 21:12   #3
ColinP
Egomaniac / Snowflake

This is for announcements for the whole site so yes, you're free to post questions here. I was going to keep this post closed but changed my mind in case anyone had any questions.

Corrected the mention of June - no idea why I put that!
Old 14-05-2018, 21:56   #4
basegreen
neergesab

As someone that knows a reasonable amount* about this, it all looks very sensible to me.

Have you considered the data sharing situation with PATREON?

*more than I would like to

Last edited by basegreen; 14-05-2018 at 22:03.
basegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2018, 10:22   #5
ColinP
Egomaniac / Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by basegreen View Post
As someone that knows a reasonable amount* about this, it all looks very sensible to me.

Have you considered the data sharing situation with PATREON?

*more than I would like to
At present I'm not storing any data from Patreon and we're not using anything to tie up accounts with Patreon subscriptions.

I'm waiting for a response from them to determine anything I need to be aware of.
Old 15-05-2018, 11:28   #6
basegreen
neergesab

OK cool, that's the only other thing I can think of to be honest. Thanks Colin
Old 15-05-2018, 18:11   #7
joconnor
(,O'.')-O

Nothing to add other than this sounds like a huge pain in the bum for you.

good luck
joconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2018, 00:13   #8
scoobyood
Tony Danza

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinP View Post
At present I'm not storing any data from Patreon and we're not using anything to tie up accounts with Patreon subscriptions.

I'm waiting for a response from them to determine anything I need to be aware of.
Patreon are the data controller in that relationship. They will retain and manage the personal and sensitive payment information for those individuals who pay those monthly fees.

If you were going to identify your Patreon donors and tied them to digital fix logins. When you get users to connect those ccounts (connect them via the API or a user just enters a user GUID into digital fix account details page)... then the only personal information under the digital fix account is that Pateron user GUID. Thus that would be covered by the options/actions you've already laid out.

If Patreon are receiving monthly money from an individual and that person requested to be forgotten, that person could opt out of general Pateron marketing emails, but an active account is legitate interest, so they don't need to delete that contact info or user information. That someone would need to close their account first.
scoobyood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2018, 03:34   #9
minicooper69
Local Wino

Thanks Colin - I can imagine there's a lot of accounts to anonymyse! Good luck!
Old 16-05-2018, 12:32   #10
ColinP
Egomaniac / Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by minicooper69 View Post
Thanks Colin - I can imagine there's a lot of accounts to anonymyse! Good luck!
I've already done a test run of some really early unused accounts. Seemed to be reasonably painless.
Old 20-05-2018, 21:18   #11
reecie
Gamertag: Reecie

What will happen with Tapatalk? Seems like AVForums will remove use due to GDPR.
reecie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 08:52   #12
ColinP
Egomaniac / Snowflake

reecie have you got a link for that?

I'm looking at this side of things next. It's a bit of a grey area - is Tapatalk acting in the same was as a browser from our view? how are they handling consent themselves? there are a bunch of questions I have for them over all of this. It may be we have to disable tapatalk and Forum Runner until those questions are resolved.

GDPR might be good for data protection, but **** me, it's a nightmare for how much of the web currently works. It feels like the most disruptive possible solution to the problem they could have come up with.
Old 21-05-2018, 09:43   #13
basegreen
neergesab

Quote:

I'm looking at this side of things next. It's a bit of a grey area - is Tapatalk acting in the same was as a browser from our view? how are they handling consent themselves? there are a bunch of questions I have for them over all of this. It may be we have to disable tapatalk and Forum Runner until those questions are resolved.

GDPR might be good for data protection, but **** me, it's a nightmare for how much of the web currently works. It feels like the most disruptive possible solution to the problem they could have come up with.
The EU?? surely not.
Old 21-05-2018, 09:45   #14
basegreen
neergesab

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/tapa...ta-t39762.html
Old 21-05-2018, 09:55   #15
reecie

Quote:

Here you go https://www.avforums.com/threads/rem...atalk.2169424/
Old 22-05-2018, 09:31   #16
ColinP
Egomaniac / Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by reecie View Post
I read that as it being their own custom version of the app rather than the generic Tapatalk that we use.
Old 22-05-2018, 09:36   #17
reecie

Quote:
I read that as it being their own custom version of the app rather than the generic Tapatalk that we use.
Both theirs (which is Tapatalk any way) and the generic. See 2nd para of post #1

Quote:
For this reason, from that date, we can no longer offer access to AVForums.com via Tapatalk or the AVForums branded app (which is Tapatalk with branding) because we have no control over how your data is used by the app or over how it communicates with you.
Old 22-05-2018, 09:50   #18
ColinP
Egomaniac / Snowflake

Yes, brain fart on my part then.
Old 23-05-2018, 05:58   #19
hxbro
Trusted User

Don't forget to audit the cookies on the site, adverts, tracking, facebook, youtube videos, etc

Best to just list them all in a document somewhere with what they are and what they do, make sure they anonymise everything or justify why they are needed, with opt-in before setting.
hxbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2018, 06:51   #20
douglasb
Suedehead.

If forums ban Tapatalk or similar, what traffic exists will just fall further. Some sites/apps use your Facebook log-ins as your membership - are they going to walk away from that too?
douglasb is offline   Reply With Quote