Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14-04-2018, 22:40   #381
Steve1977
Citizen Erased
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Castle Rock
Posts: 2,003
Thanks: 29
Thanked 42 Times in 17 Posts
Saw TLJ at the cinema, midnight showing and whilst there were really good bits, the silly humour seemed to stand out too much. So I purchased a 4TB Hard Drive in preperation for doing a re-edit. Had grand designs to remove large portions of the opening battle even. So I settled down to watch it again tonight with the missus and...I bloody well loved it! Have some of the edits been tweaked? Been toned down from the theatrical somehow?
So glad I wasnt one of those doing a Youtube video cwing how it's destroyed all my hopes for star wars because I'd have to eat plenty of humble pie at the moment. I did post similar sentiments though, so just tucking into my hat at the moment!

To be honest I actually enjoyed it more than The Force Awakens(which I love) because of the sheer depth it adds to the star wars mythos. Absolute cracking film and kinda ashamed I hated it so much. Maybe sleep deprived midnight showings are not the answer lol

Last edited by Steve1977; 14-04-2018 at 22:42.
Steve1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2018, 06:20   #382
JohnMac
XBL: JohnMacUK
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Bolton, Lancashire, UK
Posts: 8,995
Thanks: 11
Thanked 38 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
I watched this on Saturday night, turned it off with an hour to go as I realised I was looking at my phone more than the film. As a Star Wars film it is ****.

As a science fiction film it is also ****.

Basically, it's ****.
Phone addiction. Phones and movies don’t mix.
JohnMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2018, 08:55   #383
w00tabix
Trusted User
 
w00tabix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: London
Posts: 338
Thanks: 10
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
After seeing so many negative reviews, I just wanted to say I love it more with each viewing - Was a bit indifferent to it when I first saw it in the cinema save for a few scenes (I like the infamous Leia bit) and felt The Force Awakens was better at the time.

Bit of background - I grew up with the original trilogy in the 80s (starting with Return of the Jedi on TV) and I absolutely hate the prequels.
__________________
My Collection

Last edited by w00tabix; 15-04-2018 at 09:11.
w00tabix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2018, 09:07   #384
KeyserSoze
Trusted User
 
KeyserSoze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: London
Posts: 12,639
Thanks: 714
Thanked 435 Times in 225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1977 View Post
Saw TLJ at the cinema, midnight showing and whilst there were really good bits, the silly humour seemed to stand out too much. So I purchased a 4TB Hard Drive in preperation for doing a re-edit. Had grand designs to remove large portions of the opening battle even. So I settled down to watch it again tonight with the missus and...I bloody well loved it! Have some of the edits been tweaked? Been toned down from the theatrical somehow?
So glad I wasnt one of those doing a Youtube video cwing how it's destroyed all my hopes for star wars because I'd have to eat plenty of humble pie at the moment. I did post similar sentiments though, so just tucking into my hat at the moment!
Felt the same! The second viewing at home seemed to somehow tone down the silly humour. Maybe the fact that you're not in a room full of people, and like removing a laughter track from a comedy.

However it still has its flaws. The casino segment, CG taking a massive step back in quality compared to TFA and Rogue One.

Overall I still prefer TFA, as it was much better directed despite it being a retread of previous movies.
KeyserSoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2018, 11:07   #385
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Warrington
Posts: 20,871
Thanks: 269
Thanked 1,001 Times in 708 Posts
How can you say that TLJ wasn't a retread of previous movies also? It was basically about half of Empire Strikes back
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2018, 11:08   #386
fivebyfive
Trusted User
 
fivebyfive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 16,151
Thanks: 231
Thanked 545 Times in 249 Posts
Leia poppins bit gets more cringing on the second time I saw the film
fivebyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
alsemail (16-04-2018)
Old 15-04-2018, 11:42   #387
Taq
Evil Scientist
 
Taq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Deepest Suffolk
Posts: 3,623
Thanks: 19
Thanked 85 Times in 49 Posts
It's the first Star Wars film I haven't bought on release day
__________________
"Believe me, if I had to go the rest of my life without companionship, knowing myself wouldn't be a problem." - Gabrielle, XWP
Flickr | YouTube| Stables |
Taq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2018, 12:02   #388
scoobyood
Tony Danza
 
scoobyood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Zagreb
Posts: 8,399
Thanks: 695
Thanked 855 Times in 449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze View Post
Felt the same! The second viewing at home seemed to somehow tone down the silly humour. Maybe the fact that you're not in a room full of people, and like removing a laughter track from a comedy.

However it still has its flaws. The casino segment, CG taking a massive step back in quality compared to TFA and Rogue One.

Overall I still prefer TFA, as it was much better directed despite it being a retread of previous movies.
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbullivant View Post
How can you say that TLJ wasn't a retread of previous movies also? It was basically about half of Empire Strikes back
The subtext (or just 'text' ?) of the film is that this is a retread.... history is repeating/echoing within the films own logic. TFA started this, it was a perfect echo of New Hope... that's the 'current' of this new trilogy.

TLJ cleverly 'broke' away from merely history repeating itself when Kylo kills Snoke. Vader didn't do this when he confronted Luke, he obeyed Palpatine... That's when this became a new story. Then Luke, unlike Yoda in Empire (as he was already gone), came in to help.. further changing events.

There is always a set of masters and pupils.. one dark side, one light. This time, the death of snoke broke that chain, now there are no masters left. Two pupils have to decide the future... The question for the third film, will it reset and history start to repeat again? ..Is Kylo too far gone..?

Where TLJ has gone wrong is that in Empire, Leia and Han's side plot was as good as the main plot and could have been it's own film. TLJ's secondary plot had problems with too many characters all over the place. Then it completely dropped the ball with a third subplot about Finn and Rose on a Casino planet. A distraction/time filler too far.

They should have learned from the MCU and made a decent end credits tease on that planet with the kid that has force mop powers. That was all that was needed to setup episode nine.

Last edited by scoobyood; 15-04-2018 at 12:05.
scoobyood is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
LeftHandedGuitarist (15-04-2018)
Old 15-04-2018, 13:30   #389
LeftHandedGuitarist
Single and hating it
 
LeftHandedGuitarist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Deep Space Nine
Posts: 8,238
Thanks: 205
Thanked 218 Times in 135 Posts
Some of the deleted scenes on the disc are brilliant. A bit let down by The Director & The Jedi doc, though. It's extremely passive.
LeftHandedGuitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 07:13   #390
Hood
HipHopPotamus
 
Hood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Aylesbury
Posts: 5,539
Thanks: 87
Thanked 197 Times in 94 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by w00tabix View Post
After seeing so many negative reviews, I just wanted to say I love it more with each viewing - Was a bit indifferent to it when I first saw it in the cinema save for a few scenes (I like the infamous Leia bit) and felt The Force Awakens was better at the time.

Bit of background - I grew up with the original trilogy in the 80s (starting with Return of the Jedi on TV) and I absolutely hate the prequels.
I was going to post to this thread but then I realised you took the words straight out of my mouth. Was unsure on first viewing but enjoyed a lot more when going again with my daughter. Then at home I absolutely loved it. Even the casino scene, which I still have some issues with, had a number of great moments that weren't apparent to me on the first viewing.
Quite frankly, I can't wait to watch it again.
Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 13:38   #391
lentini
now with added cymbals
 
lentini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: in my special fanboy trousers
Posts: 15,390
Thanks: 92
Thanked 397 Times in 221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobyood View Post
The subtext (or just 'text' ?) of the film is that this is a retread.... history is repeating/echoing within the films own logic. TFA started this, it was a perfect echo of New Hope... that's the 'current' of this new trilogy.
Nonsense. The Force Awakens was a blatant rip-off of the original Star Wars because it was the safest way to make a new Star Wars film. Nothing more, nothing less.
lentini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 13:39   #392
allan
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: England
Posts: 12,955
Thanks: 239
Thanked 237 Times in 185 Posts
They even admitted to that.
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 14:06   #393
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Warrington
Posts: 20,871
Thanks: 269
Thanked 1,001 Times in 708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentini View Post
Nonsense. The Force Awakens was a blatant rip-off of the original Star Wars because it was the safest way to make a new Star Wars film. Nothing more, nothing less.
That's a shame, I was looking forward to the Ewoks in the third film
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 14:18   #394
scoobyood
Tony Danza
 
scoobyood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Zagreb
Posts: 8,399
Thanks: 695
Thanked 855 Times in 449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentini View Post
Nonsense. The Force Awakens was a blatant rip-off of the original Star Wars because it was the safest way to make a new Star Wars film. Nothing more, nothing less.
I don't argue with that..... and because of that they have written it in as a theme of the trilogy. What's the problem with that?
Are you claiming it is nonsense that Rey is trained by Luke like Luke was trained by Yoda.. and that Kylo is trained by Snoke like Vader was trained by Palpatine? I thought this is a fairly obvious 'cycle' in Star Wars? .. Jedi's Vs Sith.. in each generation a hero is chosen etc..



Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
scoobyood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 14:51   #395
lentini
now with added cymbals
 
lentini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: in my special fanboy trousers
Posts: 15,390
Thanks: 92
Thanked 397 Times in 221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobyood View Post
I don't argue with that..... and because of that they have written it in as a theme of the trilogy. What's the problem with that?
The problem is that it's completely by-the-numbers and, like Rich Evans said, it's the absolute minimum they could've done to make a competent Star Wars film. And that's exactly what it is...competent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobyood View Post
Are you claiming it is nonsense that Rey is trained by Luke like Luke was trained by Yoda.. and that Kylo is trained by Snoke like Vader was trained by Palpatine? I thought this is a fairly obvious 'cycle' in Star Wars? .. Jedi's Vs Sith.. in each generation a hero is chosen etc..
Having recurring themes due to Star Wars 'universe lore' is different to trying to tell the exact same story with blander characters.
lentini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 14:58   #396
scoobyood
Tony Danza
 
scoobyood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Zagreb
Posts: 8,399
Thanks: 695
Thanked 855 Times in 449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentini View Post
The problem is that it's completely by-the-numbers and, like Rich Evans said, it's the absolute minimum they could've done to make a competent Star Wars film. And that's exactly what it is...competent.



Having recurring themes due to Star Wars 'universe lore' is different to trying to tell the exact same story with blander characters.
I make no comment on whether this is a good or bad way TO do it... just that's how they've done it... however, given the constraint of the likely business decision, I don't think it's too bad how they did the main story-line. If the the secondary story-lines were decent, people would have been far more positive.
scoobyood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 08:57   #397
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 746
Thanks: 42
Thanked 88 Times in 64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivebyfive View Post
The leia bit:



Also one of the kid actors was a bit too Anakin pod racer....
According to IGN the internet likes this fix (sort of) to that scene can't say the music is appropriate for it though.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2018/06/07...y-the-internet
Spaceranger2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 22:04   #398
JohnMac
XBL: JohnMacUK
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Bolton, Lancashire, UK
Posts: 8,995
Thanks: 11
Thanked 38 Times in 8 Posts
On the whole I thought The Last Jedi was a lot of fun to watch. I think that so many people have rigid preconceived ideas about what a Star Wars movie should be that they can’t accept any deviation from it.

I must admit that this video made a refreshing change from the usual TLJ hate:
https://youtu.be/PXCLJp541Pw

As did this:
https://youtu.be/xIUerVY_Yno

Last edited by JohnMac; 03-07-2018 at 16:25.
JohnMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 22:23   #399
Shingster
Trusted User
 
Shingster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 8,150
Thanks: 443
Thanked 272 Times in 175 Posts
Why do people who enjoyed TLJ always insist that the only reason fans took issue with it was because it bucked pre-conceived expectations? They never point out the giant circle-jerk of complete contrivance and time-wasting that both the Poe/Alliance conflict and Finn/Rose gambling planet plotlines were?

Overall I thought TLJ was OK at the cinema, but I know that - just like all the prequel trilogy films - when I watch this at home I am going to be bored to tears because you could literally cut about 50mins out of this film and still have the same basic story! And that's not even close to being an exaggeration!
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 23:46   #400
Wooglie
Rurouni
 
Wooglie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Farnborough
Posts: 5,622
Thanks: 1,093
Thanked 839 Times in 360 Posts
I think the problem is that there was a vocal minority who didn't like it because it wasn't "their Star Wars". There are also a load of other people who didn't like it for various justifiable reasons who were drowned out by the first group.
Wooglie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Star Wars Episode III DVD £6.85 and Star Wars Trilogy DVD boxset £15.99 @ ChoicesUK! Guest 47977 Bargain Forum 4 27-03-2006 18:48
Star Wars Episode 3 £12.97 Guest 50234 Bargain Forum 1 01-11-2005 10:18
Star Wars Episode 2 craig@rewind Film Discussion 4 17-05-2002 13:44

All times are GMT. The time now is 07:28.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018 Poisonous Monkey Ltd. Part of The Digital Fix Network