Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Books and Comics Discussion

Notices

Old 11-07-2018, 13:42   #1
cliff homewood
Trusted User

90's Comics

If you asked me I'd say the 90s was probably the best decade for comics. But yesterday I found out that comics fans regard it as the worst. They call it the dark ages and Marvel went bankrupt in 1996.

However mainstream comics fans annoy me as there is far more to comics than just superheroes and from my memory Marvel were churing out tat in the 90s, just bunging out collections and calling them graphic novels to exploit this new comics for adults phenomenon.

However their was one great Marvel comic in the 90s - Marvels

From my perspective all the best writers created some of their best, if not definitive, work in the 90s:

Alan Moore - From Hell
Frank Miller - Sin City (and Daredevil: the man without fear)
Grant Morrison - The Invisibles
Peter Milligan - Shade the Changing Man
Neil Gaiman - Sandman
Garth Ennis - Preacher
Kurt Buseik - Astro City (and Marvels)
Warren Ellis - Transmetropolitan
Michael J Straczynski - Rising Stars

We also had Hellblazer, Animal Man, Books of Magic, Spawn, the infinity wars, Deadpool, Hellboy, Starman, Bone, Strangers In Paradise, Joe Sacco's Palestine & art Spiegelman's Maus.

Now that maybe just my taste, but that is a hell of a list, and why i think of it as a golden age in comics. The actual silver/golden age had great imagination with all the great superheroes that carry on today having been created, but a lot of the writing is simplistic and thus for me not that readable. In the nineties the writing was mature and aimed at adults which I am, and thus as far as I'm concerned it has to be the best decade, these days I hardly hear of one classic let alone the several I have just listed.
cliff homewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 14:19   #2
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Thanked 1,060 Times in 753 Posts
I imagine you can look at any sewage pile of a decade and pull out a few diamonds if you try. I could write off the 80's for its music, which I do, but I'm sure there are some good songs in there if I could be bothered looking.
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 14:24   #3
bumfrog
bum of the highest order

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff homewood View Post
If you asked me I'd say the 90s was probably the best decade for comics. But yesterday I found out that comics fans regard it as the worst. They call it the dark ages and Marvel went bankrupt in 1996.

However mainstream comics fans annoy me as there is far more to comics than just superheroes and from my memory Marvel were churing out tat in the 90s, just bunging out collections and calling them graphic novels to exploit this new comics for adults phenomenon.

However their was one great Marvel comic in the 90s - Marvels

From my perspective all the best writers created some of their best, if not definitive, work in the 90s:

Alan Moore - From Hell
Frank Miller - Sin City (and Daredevil: the man without fear)
Grant Morrison - The Invisibles
Peter Milligan - Shade the Changing Man
Neil Gaiman - Sandman
Garth Ennis - Preacher
Kurt Buseik - Astro City (and Marvels)
Warren Ellis - Transmetropolitan
Michael J Straczynski - Rising Stars

We also had Hellblazer, Animal Man, Books of Magic, Spawn, the infinity wars, Deadpool, Hellboy, Starman, Bone, Strangers In Paradise, Joe Sacco's Palestine & art Spiegelman's Maus.

Now that maybe just my taste, but that is a hell of a list, and why i think of it as a golden age in comics. The actual silver/golden age had great imagination with all the great superheroes that carry on today having been created, but a lot of the writing is simplistic and thus for me not that readable. In the nineties the writing was mature and aimed at adults which I am, and thus as far as I'm concerned it has to be the best decade, these days I hardly hear of one classic let alone the several I have just listed.
I totally agree with you. I think there's a big lean in the comic book world when referring to the golden age etc to mean the mainstream superhero comics. That's why they don't view the 90's as a good time, because superhero movies were out of vogue and people just were not interested as much. Which is a shame - Vertigo was started in 1993 and I think the shifted a lot of really good stuff in to the semi-mainstream that may not have had a chance before.

Some modern from 2000 on imho
Walking Dead
y the last man
saga
the boys (maybe not classic in the sense, but good fun)
chew
fables
american vampire

there's probably more, but my brain no worky
bumfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 15:50   #4
MaxNutter

Quote:
Alan Moore - From Hell
Art Spiegelman's Maus.
first published in the 80s.

There's loads of good titles still around, I'd agree the 90s were strong, but the late 80s birthed the 'Graphic Novel' with titles such as the above and Watchmen.
Old 11-07-2018, 17:20   #5
GregB
Stagger Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jockosjungle View Post
I could write off the 80's for its music, which I do
You'd be wrong.
GregB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 23:42   #6
Mr Majestik
Trusted User

90s comics were for the most part garbage. Even 2000ad nearly went down the swanny and took a decade to recover.

Sent from my BAH-W09 using Tapatalk
Mr Majestik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 13:38   #7
cliff homewood
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxNutter View Post
first published in the 80s.

There's loads of good titles still around, I'd agree the 90s were strong, but the late 80s birthed the 'Graphic Novel' with titles such as the above and Watchmen.
I just did a quick google search when putting my list together, google of course could be wrong but I got

From Hell: Published in‎: ‎Taboo; From Hell Date‎: ‎1999 (collected edition)
Date of publication‎: ‎1989–1996

Maus:

Maus is a graphic novel by American cartoonist Art Spiegelman, serialized from 1980 to 1991. It depicts Spiegelman interviewing his father about his ...
Published in‎: ‎Raw Date‎: ‎1991
Page count‎: ‎296 pages Issues‎: ‎Vol. 1 No. 2 – Vol. 2 No. 3

Maus then won the Pulitzer Prize in 1992.

So yeah I pushed the limit of 90s a bit but as far as I can tell these are all comics that were out in the 90s (whether ending or finishing or entire run), on the other end Transmetropolitan started in the late 90s through to the 2000s.

Last edited by cliff homewood; 12-07-2018 at 14:02.
cliff homewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 14:01   #8
MaxNutter

Quote:
I pushed the limit of 90s a bit but as far as I can tell these are all comics that were out in the 90s (whether ending or finishing or entire run), on the other end Transmetropolitan started in the late 90s through to the 2000s.
Agreed, they spanned the decades.

I just wanted to highlight that the 80s were as strong, if not stronger:
Maus,
From Hell,
Watchmen,
Batman: The Killing Joke,
V for Vendetta,
Batman: Year One,
Arkham Asylum,
X-Men: Days of Future Past,
The Sandman: Preludes & Nocturnes,
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns

Some of Alan Moore's (especially) strongest work, although some of these do run into the 90s too.