Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Books and Comics Discussion

Notices

Old 16-08-2018, 19:41   #161
Taq
Evil Scientist

I think a lot of it is stuff that gets fixed, then gets fiddled with and not re-proofed. Word's text-to-speech function is a God-send in that regard. It also lets you tell when things don't flow properly in a sentence.
Old 16-08-2018, 20:14   #162
Rob
Indie Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by jockosjungle View Post
Since my wife wrote hers and the mistakes we tried to eliminate, what I'm beginning to notice is how many mistakes there are in proper published books. Things that even a basic spellchecker would pick up.
Yeah, I notice that too. Not only that, but commas in the right place (or not) - are all over the place in some proper published books. When I think how hard we worked to get them right in a self-published book, it makes me wonder who they've got working on traditionally published books.

To be fair, this is the kind of thing that I'd never have noticed before, and I guess most readers won't notice. It doesn't spoil the book, but once you know about a few simple grammar rules, things start to jump out at you all over the place. Reading will never be the same again!
Old 16-08-2018, 20:39   #163
douglasb
Suedehead.

It's generally budgetary. Publishers don't have the money for the detailed oversight that they used to.
douglasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2018, 11:36   #164
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Thanked 1,042 Times in 737 Posts
Because £20 of royalties are coming our way for the wife's book, we decided to try some of the facebook advertising to coincide with it being discounted to 99p.

It lets you select an amount, gives an idea of how many it'll reach and who you can aim it at (basically people who say they like reading), probably about a penny per person (although it suggests more).

Not been going that long, she's had about 20 click throughs on her link, 4 book buys and some unlimited page reads so far.

I know our resident authors have paid a fair bit for advertising and so fourth, this seems like a fairly decent way of doing it. Ok we probably won't make much money if any, but it seems a fairly acceptable return when you're trying to build a following.
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2018, 19:18   #165
Taq
Evil Scientist

That's pretty good for FB ads! I've never had any luck with them.
Old 24-08-2018, 19:54   #166
Taq
Evil Scientist

err, okay: https://ar.pinterest.com/pin/2992079...00601/?lp=true

Next book in the series I'm deffo going for some 6-pack action on the cover
Old 25-08-2018, 09:56   #167
Rob
Indie Author

Sounds good. You can't really expect to make money back unless you're lucky, so anything that snags a few buys and a bit of interest counts as success in my opinion.

I've decided to hold off on spending anything until my Book #2 is nearly ready, then I'll spend most of the advertisting and free promotions on Book #1, given that I can't really expect many people to buy #2 without having read the first in the trilogy!
Old 25-08-2018, 09:57   #168
Rob
Indie Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taq View Post
err, okay: https://ar.pinterest.com/pin/2992079...00601/?lp=true

Next book in the series I'm deffo going for some 6-pack action on the cover
I won't stoop that low - stay true to your subject and accept lower sales.
Old 25-08-2018, 11:31   #169
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

I think you can make a bit of cash if you write short erotica novels with such a person on the cover, in all honesty I'd guess a decent cover would sell such a thing. I can never find much to read on Unlimited but its full of such things.

If you could write ten such novels in a series and get enough people to read them, you'd make quite a bit of cash I reckon, especially if you could churn one a month out.
Old 25-08-2018, 12:12   #170
Taq
Evil Scientist

Yeah, the woman at the centre of 'cockygate' has churned out one book a month for the last couple of years. I'm wondering how the hell anyone writes that fast, unless it's exactly the same story with some find/replace action on the locations and characters.
Old 25-08-2018, 16:37   #171
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

I suppose if it was your full time vocation and you were not writing War and Peace, you could probably churn out 3000 words a day, can probably get a novel out in a month if you really wanted to.

Not to disparage the wife's book, but who'd just buy a book in the USA with no reviews cos they saw an advert on facebook? 6 people apparently.

I like books and read books I like, I quite like thrillers, but I don't think I'd read a book because it was a thriller or just pick up a random thriller to read.

It seems to work differently with romance, my new "girl a bit like you who is dating a knob, but then meets a nice guy with perfect abs and they have passionate sex but also love as well" saga series is likely to be a huge success.
Old 25-08-2018, 18:43   #172
Taq
Evil Scientist

Yep, romance is the way to riches if you do it right, and female readers like to devour stuff as fast as you can write it.
Oddly, someone on a writing group on FB a while back was complaining that he wrote romance aimed at men (men falling for women, rather than other men), and no one was buying it. That's a pretty limited audience I feel.
Old 17-10-2018, 11:11   #173
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Wife is about to launch her second book and a free Christmas novella, just wanted to thank you for the cover design recommendation, she does excellent work

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Royal-Court...hryn+bullivant

The Christmas cover she designed pretty much from scratch (sorry no pic yet, but seen it myself), we sent off a couple of stock images and the title "Christmas at the Aquarium", she changed the images and designed a breathtaking cover of her own design (but said she'd be happy to change it if we didn;t like it).

She charged my wife £8!!! £3 for an ebook design and £5 more for a second image.

She gets a fair few reads and sales without really doing much, but nobody can be bothered to review it, anyone she can prompt to try (friends who've bought the book, keep getting their reviews deleted).

Last edited by jockosjungle; 17-10-2018 at 11:15.
Old 17-10-2018, 19:15   #174
Taq
Evil Scientist

If you're selling, you don't really need reviews
Glad it's working out for her.
Old 18-10-2018, 05:43   #175
Rob
Indie Author

Those covers are excellent. If it's the cover designer that Taq recommended on here, I bookmarked it, and I'll be contacting her soon for my second book.

How does the cover design process work - do I have to have some idea of which stock images that I want to use? Or do you just describe roughly what you want in text? I'd be interested to know before I make contact.

Congratulations to Kathryn on the sales and reads. None of us expect to make any money, but it is nice when people comment on your work and you get a review. It really is hard work getting reviews (and in my case sales!) I need to spend some on advertising, it's just picking the right method and best way to spend.

Last edited by Rob; 18-10-2018 at 05:45.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2018, 06:06   #176
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

She's just about covering costs, but she does keep getting more book covers done.

The person we use subscribes to a stock image and you tell her the ones you want, and she works her magic and splices them together. The second one was a picture of a bloke and a random picture of an aquarium, and she then puts something together.
Old 18-10-2018, 06:10   #177
Taq
Evil Scientist

I just gave her the links to three stock images I found on shutterstock (which was a great excuse to spend a couple of evenings looking at pictures of beautiful women) , gave her the title / author, and the general theme I was looking for (noir in my case) and she did the rest. It took a couple of minor revisions on colour - first version was blue, and she reddened it up a bit to make it look more demonic - and Lucia's image and then we were good to go.
Old 18-10-2018, 11:04   #178
Rob
Indie Author

Thanks - so I need to get googling shutterstock images then!