Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Computing Forum

Notices

Old 28-07-2018, 08:04   #2661
Tempest
Trusted User

When I press the special button on my keyboard for the calculator, it does, as one would expect launch the windows calculator app, but it does not put the program "On Top" of other windows on-screen.

However, when I click on the program list icon, in windows to run the calculator app, it does put the calculator on top as one would expect.

Any ideas?
Tempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2018, 14:08   #2662
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
When I press the special button on my keyboard for the calculator, it does, as one would expect launch the windows calculator app, but it does not put the program "On Top" of other windows on-screen.

However, when I click on the program list icon, in windows to run the calculator app, it does put the calculator on top as one would expect.

Any ideas?
Are you using a microsoft keyboard?

Try this

Creating a shortcut for the app (C:/Windows/System32/calc.exe) and reassign the calculator key to the shortcut . However every time to press the calc key you will get a new instance .
Spaceranger2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2018, 20:17   #2663
Tempest
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceranger2001 View Post
Are you using a microsoft keyboard?

Try this

Creating a shortcut for the app (C:/Windows/System32/calc.exe) and reassign the calculator key to the shortcut . However every time to press the calc key you will get a new instance .
Thanks for this.

Yes, it's a Microsoft Keyboard (and I use a Microsoft mouse)
Weird thing is, they are both USB, and yet, the new Mousey/Keyboard thing in Windows 10 says it can't find any Msoft connected devices, despite them both working as they should to and all "special" buttons work.

So, unless I'm missing something I can't get to any actual fine settings (unless I'm looking in the wrong place)
Old 28-07-2018, 20:38   #2664
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
Thanks for this.

Yes, it's a Microsoft Keyboard (and I use a Microsoft mouse)
Weird thing is, they are both USB, and yet, the new Mousey/Keyboard thing in Windows 10 says it can't find any Msoft connected devices, despite them both working as they should to and all "special" buttons work.

So, unless I'm missing something I can't get to any actual fine settings (unless I'm looking in the wrong place)
Had to check it was Microsoft product

Download Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center that will allow you to assign new tasks to the special keys

https://www.microsoft.com/accessorie...eyboard-center
Spaceranger2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
Tempest (29-07-2018)
Old 28-07-2018, 21:00   #2665
Tempest
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceranger2001 View Post
Had to check it was Microsoft product

Download Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center that will allow you to assign new tasks to the special keys

https://www.microsoft.com/accessorie...eyboard-center
Thanks for that link.

I USED to use intellipoint software, but Windows 10 seems to have done away with that.

Anyway, used your link, downloaded, installed, and ran it, and seems like it was what I already had on the system, and upon running it, it says this:

That's the bad news

However, the good news. Despite is not recognizing my Msoft Mouse or Keyboard (Perhaps it's the USB Hub they are plugged into)

I just tried the calculator button, and for the 1st time in ages, it's put the calculator "on top" !!!!

What can I say! lol

Perhaps just installing the same software, did some internal tiny little fix.
Fingers crossed it still works after a reboot.

Thanks for the suggestions, which seemed to have worked, even though more a fluke than as instructed
Old 29-07-2018, 07:14   #2666
Tempest
Trusted User

Juts as a little follow up.
Started machine from cold this morning, and the calc is still loading on top, which is great.

Perhaps it was something as simple as a registry issue? that got a bit messed up, and re-installed the Mouse & Keyboard center, simply corrected it?

Thanks again SpaceRanger, whilst I didn't need to follow your instructions, simply getting me to re-install the software did the trick
Thanked once by:
Spaceranger2001 (29-07-2018)
Old 05-09-2018, 11:26   #2667
ascender
Trusted User

I still find it hard to "trust" Windows 10. I don't know what it is, but I've had a similar issue with a serial-usb device which worked fine for weeks and then stopped working. While the second similar device continued to work. And obviously the first one stopped working the day I absolutely needed to be able to rely on it. But its working again now that I don't need it...

Windows does seem really stable which is great. But I still don't trust the updates and they make me nervous. There always seems to be something getting installed and I live in constant fear of the machine needing a reboot in the middle of me doing something even though I've changed what settings I can to give me as much control as I can.

I'm also not close enough to Windows to know, but obviously there's a shiny top layer UI to everything, but when you start to get in to some of the settings in control panel you get taken back to something which looks like its not been updated since Windows 95 - i.e. some of the network settings. Is there a plan to migrate the whole UI to the new Windows 10 look and feel? It all seems a bit Frankenstein's monster when you start to scratch the surface.

tldr - Windows still makes me nervous its going to reboot to install an update.
ascender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 12:08   #2668
Tempest
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascender View Post
I'm also not close enough to Windows to know, but obviously there's a shiny top layer UI to everything, but when you start to get in to some of the settings in control panel you get taken back to something which looks like its not been updated since Windows 95 - i.e. some of the network settings. Is there a plan to migrate the whole UI to the new Windows 10 look and feel? It all seems a bit Frankenstein's monster when you start to scratch the surface.
Indeed, it's very odd how they just can't seem to be able to, or want to update areas once you get past the "Cardboard Scenery"

As you say it's like a mix of 1995 and 2018

I appreciate there need to be areas which get on and do the job as opposed to big pretty simple icons, but still, I'm sure things could graphically be more up to date.
One would not think that just updating the visuals would be that hard for such a company like Microsoft, even if it's basically just cosmetic changes and repositioning some input box's
Old 05-09-2018, 12:24   #2669
target
Trusted User

Thanked 4,114 Times in 1,859 Posts
Why would it reboot to install an update without your permission? Is that a Home thing? Pro certainly doesn't...
target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 12:32   #2670
ascender
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by target View Post
Why would it reboot to install an update without your permission? Is that a Home thing? Pro certainly doesn't...
So in Pro I know you can tell it when to install updates, warn before reboots etc and I have that setup.

But I'll also go in, check for updates, there's nothing and then a short while later I get the message that "windows is installing updates" and it gives me the fear. I get that its irrational, but I'm a control freak...
ascender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 12:50   #2671
target
Trusted User

Thanked 4,114 Times in 1,859 Posts
Oh it does start installing them. But it doesn't reboot to complete them without permission. And you can leave that weeks if you like!
target is offline   Reply With Quote