Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Computing Forum

Notices

Old 17-06-2018, 08:12   #2641
Tempest
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by target View Post
Well my advice would definitely be: don't transfer 'unsuitable' material to and from a onedrive account via a work PC.

OneDrive for consumers is not encrypted and cannot be considered secure. The business version is encrypted.
Thanks for the reply.
Oh and please note. There is nothing "unsuitable" in any way about any of this data. I'm just really speaking of private or personal things.

Perhaps a private letter, or my home accounts/bills on a spreadsheet, a medical report. those types of things. Just personal stuff.

I don't currently feel very comfortable looking into my cloud accounts on my works PC as I'm not sure (hence questions) if there could be anything prying on me.

If it's very easy, normal and legal? for a firm to monitor this, then I'll just not access it from my PC there, but I accept perhaps I'm being paranoid and in reality it's not going to be happening as the browsers are encrypting? the data within my pc/screen anyway.

Oh and thanks for the note about OneDrive only encrypted for business.
I do have some documents and spreadsheets on my onedrive, but nothing that poses any security issues. Yet of course, still things, I'd like to know are reasonably away from prying eyes.
Tempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2018, 08:15   #2642
Chris Locke
Making a 1% improvement

Thanked 1,406 Times in 434 Posts
The other thing to bear in mind if you do use your work PC, is how secure is that PC when you're not around? Our PCs have Teamviewer on, so sitting at home now, I can access work PCs people have left on over the weekend with browsers open to their personal emails, OneDrive accounts, etc.
A lot of these are syncronised, so easy to access those files if the work PC gets 'lost' or stolen.
Chris Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2018, 08:41   #2643
Tempest
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Locke View Post
The other thing to bear in mind if you do use your work PC, is how secure is that PC when you're not around? Our PCs have Teamviewer on, so sitting at home now, I can access work PCs people have left on over the weekend with browsers open to their personal emails, OneDrive accounts, etc.
A lot of these are syncronised, so easy to access those files if the work PC gets 'lost' or stolen.
Indeed, I am aware and need to be careful of this.
Due to my own PC/Use-Case/Location, whilst I'm at work it's going to be very unlikely anyone would just pop onto my PC with any mall-intent.
I did strip it clean (so to speak) but right now, With chrome loaded up, I do get straight into a couple of forums (saved passwords) and my Ebay and Amazon accounts.
I don't work in a bad place, so I'm sure no one is going to sneak on when I'l in the loo and try and buy something on Amazon.
I'm not that paranoid

But as I said, I'm aware my connection is going via the works server, hence it did cross my mind if there could be any logging going on.
Hence me wondering if a certain browser would be more secure?

Remote software wise, I did a hunt and stripped out anything I could find, which kinda upset our remote PC fixer tech people
Old 17-06-2018, 15:12   #2644
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwakuk View Post
Doesn't that just create a Win10 setup disk?

I already have Win10, I am just trying to get all the latest security updates rather than wait for a staggered update.
AdamBrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2018, 16:20   #2645
target
Trusted User

Thanked 4,087 Times in 1,846 Posts
It will also let you manually update to Windows 1803
target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2018, 16:24   #2646
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
It will also let you manually update to Windows 1803
Is that the very latest version with all the current/up-to-date security fixes and patches?
Old 17-06-2018, 16:30   #2647
target
Trusted User

1803 is the latest Windows version and then the latest security fixes will be available from that via windows update
Old 17-06-2018, 16:32   #2648
target
Trusted User

Note anyway that the June cumulative update pack has something wrong with it and won't install on certain PC's (including both of mine). So you might be SOL anyway trying to precisely match builds across PC's. Moan at your vendor for such a **** requirement.
Old 17-06-2018, 16:36   #2649
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
1803 is the latest Windows version and then the latest security fixes will be available from that via windows update
That's what I mean.

Not everyone gets windows updates at the same time; but there used to be a way in which you could 'jump the queue'.

The weird thing is ... I have two Win10 machines at work at the moment. I can connect to the 'old' one from home fine but not the 'new' one. The only thing that logically is different is the work PC not my home one.
Old 17-06-2018, 16:44   #2650
target
Trusted User

As far as I was aware, end users get windows updates at the same time? Providing they are on the same Windows branch.
But like I say - the June one is screwed on certain computer configs. There's no known fix last I googled it.

In a work environment that may not be the same as the updates may come from a local WSUS after approval by the company IT dept.
Old 17-06-2018, 17:48   #2651
scoobyood
Tony Danza

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBrunt View Post
That's what I mean.

Not everyone gets windows updates at the same time; but there used to be a way in which you could 'jump the queue'.

The weird thing is ... I have two Win10 machines at work at the moment. I can connect to the 'old' one from home fine but not the 'new' one. The only thing that logically is different is the work PC not my home one.
For the last few versions, 1709 onwards I believe.... manually checking for Windows update in the settings menu skips the staggered rollout processes. But that rollout only lasts a week, so it's not really impacting you at this point anyway.

It will be third party software which stops you gettings updates. AV vendors in particular need to provide updates for their software in preparation for windows updates. Then Microsoft will depense the updates to you via the windows update compatibility checker. Kaspersky are terrible for this, as their business AV packages have different version numbers to consume ones... even though it's the same unlying software. We were using that and 1803 refused to install itself.

Last edited by scoobyood; 17-06-2018 at 17:49.
scoobyood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2018, 17:53   #2652
driver8
eviscerate your memory

Thanked 1,841 Times in 766 Posts
MS also have an 'authenticator' app for 2FA, which is triggered when you login from a new/unknown device - works well.
driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2018, 19:06   #2653
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Note anyway that the June cumulative update pack has something wrong with it and won't install on certain PC's (including both of mine). So you might be SOL anyway trying to precisely match builds across PC's. Moan at your vendor for such a **** requirement.
It would seem mine as well. Windows 10 version 1803 has issues with RDP CredSSP encryption

Microsoft have acknowledged the issue here but the link at the bottom of page provided a solution that has got RDP working again for me
Old 28-06-2018, 01:37   #2654
Shingster
Trusted User

Does anyone have two-step verification activated for their Microsoft Account? Does it affect the way you log into windows at all? I think I need to activate it to set up Outlook mail on outlook 2007 but I'm worried that if I link my phone to my account as the source of my verification code then I can potentially be screwed and not be able to log into windows under certain circumstances in the future should I lose my phone. Basically I'm just worried that turning it on would mean that I had to enter a password + security code to log into windows.

Last edited by Shingster; 28-06-2018 at 01:53.
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 05:17   #2655
kanedaa
XBL: kanedaa

Thanked 1,228 Times in 800 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingster View Post
Does anyone have two-step verification activated for their Microsoft Account? Does it affect the way you log into windows at all? I think I need to activate it to set up Outlook mail on outlook 2007 but I'm worried that if I link my phone to my account as the source of my verification code then I can potentially be screwed and not be able to log into windows under certain circumstances in the future should I lose my phone. Basically I'm just worried that turning it on would mean that I had to enter a password + security code to log into windows.
I do and you only get asked for the security code the first time logging in on a new device. I've not been asked on my PC since setting it up which was so long ago now I don't remember it. I mainly only see the 2-step thing now on the web from time to time, usually if I haven't accessed the billing area for a while.

As for losing your phone - IIRC they have a secondary contact (phone number or email address) for getting you a security code, and failing that you'll be given a recovery code which you're meant to store on paper somewhere. It's a one-use-code that can be used if you've lost access to your other security options.

You should always use 2-step where possible but I really doubt it'll solve the Outlook thing. No idea on that. I've setup Outlook 2007 + Outlook.com using IMAP access before but never tried POP.
kanedaa is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
Shingster (29-06-2018)
Old 29-06-2018, 17:09   #2656
Shingster
Trusted User

Cheers Dave, I've set up Yahoo and AOL mail in recent days and I had to generate an app password because two-step verification doesn't work on Outlook 2007 (I think 2010 was the first Outlook to feature it), so I'm thinking it might be the same for outlook mail as well.

I think I'm gonna use my new yahoo mail account as my default now though, 1TB storage is not to be sniffed at!
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 21:38   #2657
Tempest
Trusted User

Not sure if this is a windows 10 thing or something else.

It sounds odd, but the text on screen is looking like it's not matching the screen rez.
By that I mean, there are colours in the text, as if the PC is not matching the screens resolution.

Not sure how long it's been like this as I've been on my other PC for some time.
Also, am I being dumb and forgetting some setting that may be wrong?

It's not clear type as I ran that, and that's something else.

My screen rez all looks like it's matching the native numbers.

It's hard to capture it, without using a physical magnifying glass, but take a look at these two images:

https://i.gyazo.com/8464d7ff215aac51...0eb7dcb5e8.jpg

https://i.gyazo.com/89beebba4d2aaa00...0afddec16d.jpg

Somethings not right I'm sure you'll agree.

What am I missing?
Old 11-07-2018, 21:56   #2658
Tempest
Trusted User

Phew.

Just managed to fix it thanks to this post:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...3-309be6518f24

I put back to default windows setting in the Nvidia control panel, which cleared my rainbow-ish text/font, tthen back to 10bit, and it stayed fixed....

Thank god, I was worried it was a monitor or graphics card issue.
Just windows messing things up as per usual.... yay!
Old 11-07-2018, 22:42   #2659
Chris Locke
Making a 1% improvement

Thanked 1,406 Times in 434 Posts
What always surprises me with these issues is Microsoft support responses. "Have you tried updating the calculator app? Have you tried rebooting and uninstalling your keyboard driver." Its always some random dude who says, "Oh, I had that - click this, that and that." Microsoft don't seem to 'learn' so when an issue pops up again, they can say, "Oh, we had something similar, so have you tried....". You'd think Microsoft support would be armed with the best knowledge and 'inside information' possible, but instead, they just fire up Bing and do a few searches.
Chris Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 22:55   #2660
Tempest
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Locke View Post
What always surprises me with these issues is Microsoft support responses. "Have you tried updating the calculator app? Have you tried rebooting and uninstalling your keyboard driver." Its always some random dude who says, "Oh, I had that - click this, that and that." Microsoft don't seem to 'learn' so when an issue pops up again, they can say, "Oh, we had something similar, so have you tried....". You'd think Microsoft support would be armed with the best knowledge and 'inside information' possible, but instead, they just fire up Bing and do a few searches.
Indeed.
It's sheer luck that I found that, tried it and fixed it.
I did play with those settings earlier, but did not actually do the change.
I was close, but missed it, otherwise I'd still be stumped.

Mind you, Microsoft are not alone.
Like the Google official site, people asking the same question.

Why can't the Google Home see all day events.
that was, I think 2 years ago, with follow up posts asking the same thing ever since.

Such a basic thing, set a calendar event in your google calendar and give it a specif time and your google home can see it. set it as an all day event. which is actually the default, and google home can't see it.

Some time you wonder, what's going on. they keep fiddling with new additions, which totally missing out on fundamental day-1 basics.

The joys of computing and management decisions