Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 31-12-2008, 10:50   #21
Lorne.t
Trusted User

What was the Indiana Jones thing?
Is there a link?
Lorne.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2008, 10:54   #22
LouBarlow
Retired Member

Wasn't the Indy thing related to someone posting a link to a film that wasn't even Indy anyway? A spoof or something?
LouBarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2008, 10:54   #23
ourmatetone
PSN/XBL/Steam: tone217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorne.t View Post
What was the Indiana Jones thing?
Is there a link?
http://www.thedvdforums.com/forums/s...d.php?t=507397

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouBarlow View Post
Wasn't the Indy thing related to someone posting a link to a film that wasn't even Indy anyway? A spoof or something?
If memory serves, it was due to media/photos being posted without Paramount's permission.

Last edited by ourmatetone; 31-12-2008 at 10:56.
ourmatetone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2008, 10:56   #24
ColinP
Egomaniac / Snowflake

Thanked 1,617 Times in 762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by James45 View Post
Totally agree with it, but would be interested to know if Colin has taken any legal advice to prevent the Indiana Jones thing happening again, finding a host with some spine would be a good start... is there such a thing?
We're moving hosts this year
Old 31-12-2008, 10:57   #25
ColinP
Egomaniac / Snowflake

Quote:
We have no idea - that's the only thing we could put it down to, but given to total lack of detail in Paramount's complaint and no-one to actually confirm the issue with there was no choice but to close and remove the old thread.

All we had was a message from our hosts saying they'd received a complaint from Paramount using the DMCA, and that we'd have our hosting terminated if we didn't take action.
Old 31-12-2008, 11:01   #26
cjanderson
2 phalanxs and a catapult

are we okay if we post about preview screenings to members of the public? such that seefilmfirst do?
cjanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2008, 11:08   #27
Guest 49504

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjanderson View Post
are we okay if we post about preview screenings to members of the public? such that seefilmfirst do?
Sounds like that's covered as being made 'publicly available', what I think Colin's talking about are ripped off awards screeners.

Music promo's are something which have been around since year dot, and is never going to be got rid of, and in some cases actually encouraged by smaller labels as it gets artists known.
Guest 49504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2008, 22:00   #28
gordo
Trusted User

Quote:
I think the TV forum is an example of how the rules can work well, despite it obviously being the most 'piracy-laden' forum here.
It is obvious that people are not jetting over to the US to watch episodes of 24, but everyone respects that threads aren't started until a show is broadcast....somewhere.
I think the tv forum is the best example of discussion on material obtained from dubious sources.Threads aren`t started with respect to a show being broadcast but to it`s being capped and then available by p2p or newsgroups,there are very few pre-air episodes available(and even then i have seen these discussed) to allow for a straightforward piracy discussion.
I agree that no-one jets over to the US every week to watch the latest episodes yet it is the same names that discuss a program week in-week out.
I also find the use of US PACE in the thread title a dead giveaway that the material was obtained from less than legitimate sources.
So with this in mind this thread should be part of both the Music and Tv forums.
gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2008, 22:47   #29
statto
Jedi Master

Quote:
I think the TV forum is an example of how the rules can work well, despite it obviously being the most 'piracy-laden' forum here.
There are loads of legitimate ways to view TV in line with US viewers. Not only US citizens, or via the slingbox exchange as previously mentioned in the thread, but also by streaming from the tv stations websites or places like hulu. There also seems to be a trend towards showing stuff in the UK at virtually the same time as the US now.
statto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 01:05   #30
robbiez666
northern monkey

it's all a matter of common sense. we all know that is goes on but people have to engage brain before posting.
robbiez666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 08:30   #31
LouBarlow
Retired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by statto View Post
There are loads of legitimate ways to view TV in line with US viewers. Not only US citizens, or via the slingbox exchange as previously mentioned in the thread, but also by streaming from the tv stations websites or places like hulu. There also seems to be a trend towards showing stuff in the UK at virtually the same time as the US now.
Fair enough, but im betting only a mere percentage of people who post in the TV forum, watch US TV that way.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:39   #32
driver8
M0D2.0 (trainee)

Thanked 2,567 Times in 1,116 Posts
maybe, but in the TV forum people don't tend to bang on about being the first to see something, or drop 'nudge-nudge' hints about p2p, like people dropping into the movie threads tend to do.

The regular TV posters genuinely just want to discuss the tv show, and not look cool about seeing shows before others.
driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 09:48   #33
LouBarlow
Retired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver8 View Post
maybe, but in the TV forum people don't tend to bang on about being the first to see something, or drop 'nudge-nudge' hints about p2p, like people dropping into the movie threads tend to do.

The regular TV posters genuinely just want to discuss the tv show, and not look cool about seeing shows before others.
I agree. I was using the TV forum as a good example of how the rules can work, in this regard.

The rule that a TV show can't be discussed until it has aired somewhere in the world, is a good one, and one which would easily be applied to the movie forum.

Even if someone has seen a film via legitimate means, earlier than a general release, why the need to rush on here and say so? Just hold fire until it's had an official release somewhere surely?
Old 01-01-2009, 14:18   #34
joconnor
(,O'.')-O

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver8 View Post

One thing that happens in here though (not so much in the tv forum) is when somebody sees something pre-release there's always someone that asks "How have you seen this?". If they are ignored for obvious reasons we then get "How have you all seen this? It's not out yet? WHY WON'T ANYONE TELL ME HOW YOU'VE SEEN THIS? "

It's usually at this point someone takes pity and says "the usual sources"
joconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 17:41   #35
splobber
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joconnor View Post
One thing that happens in here though (not so much in the tv forum) is when somebody sees something pre-release there's always someone that asks "How have you seen this?". If they are ignored for obvious reasons we then get "How have you all seen this? It's not out yet? WHY WON'T ANYONE TELL ME HOW YOU'VE SEEN THIS? "

It's usually at this point someone takes pity and says "the usual sources"
Which just reinforces the view that it is some misguided attempt to prove to yourself that you have the biggest cock while all the while laughing heartily as "these pathetic specimens are scurrying around to know what my bodacity is because they have not seen a film before I have. HA HA HA HA HAAAAAAA!"
splobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 17:49   #36
sleep4ever
Trusted User

Quote:
Even if someone has seen a film via legitimate means, earlier than a general release, why the need to rush on here and say so? Just hold fire until it's had an official release somewhere surely?
If you've seen a preview showing of something surely you should be able to tell people how good/bad it it is? Isnt that why they have preview showings to generate word of mouth?

I saw In Bruges at a preview showing weeks before it was released

And what about film festivals? The first I knew about Martyrs was on this board, and I at least wanted to know if it was any good...
sleep4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 18:44   #37
Roy
XBL Tag: Coldbobtee

It's very obvious that a preview screening is legitimate - you could even state which preview you saw it at and then there could be no confusion.

P.S Great use of the word "bodacity" by Splobber

Roy@Flickr
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 14:34   #38
ColinP
Egomaniac / Snowflake

Previews are fine - if you've seen the film by legitimate means, then feel free to discuss it. We're not intending to kill early talk - Roy's suggestion of mentioning which preview you've seen or the legitimate method you've used to view the film is a good one but it's not something I'd want to enforce.

For the most part, early discussion is fine. All we want to stop is users who have obviously downloaded a pirate copy from posting as such here.
Old 05-01-2009, 14:58   #39
Roy
XBL Tag: Coldbobtee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinP View Post
We're not intending to kill early talk - Roy's suggestion of mentioning which preview you've seen or the legitimate method you've used to view the film is a good one but it's not something I'd want to enforce.
Well son, if you're too yella to keep things straight up then I'm happy to oblige.

Anyone who doesn't name the location is going to feel the full force of my non-existent ban button

Roy@Flickr
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 10:34   #40
ascender
Trusted User

Got to love the TV forum at the moment with the 24 threads from all our American posters
ascender is offline   Reply With Quote