Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 16-06-2008, 10:09   #61
gavinhanly
Trusted User

Hmm - seems that this BBC article has jumped the gun somewhat...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7456414.stm
Old 16-06-2008, 10:34   #62
zantarous
Xbox Live tag: wargame

What was in the article as it seems to have gone now.

Last edited by zantarous; 16-06-2008 at 10:34.
zantarous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2008, 11:34   #63
gavinhanly
Trusted User

Ah - it was an article saying how the film has just come out in the States... which, of course, it hasn't...
Old 19-06-2008, 10:46   #64
JonLaidlow
Scoundrel

There's quite a lot of good expanded universe material around the Clone Wars (novel "Shatterpoint" is ace, and most of the Clone Wars graphic novels. They'd be silly to contradict so much material - there must be somebody keeping a timeline of events to avoid.

Any news of a UK release? would be happier with straight to dvd, to be honest...
JonLaidlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 16:26   #65
ColinP
Egomaniac / Snowflake

Thanked 1,615 Times in 760 Posts
Star Wars: The Clone Wars - online featurette

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=68468

Old 05-08-2008, 18:08   #66
Guest 1367
Parasite

Cam anyone clear up how this fits in with the previous Clone Wars animated series?
Is it a retelling of the series, or does it follow on, or is it additional war stories? I tried to watch the animated series, but missed a few and found them a bit annoying. Am I going to be dissapointed by the film?
Guest 1367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 19:16   #67
Mr Majestik
Trusted User

It follows on.

I'd imagine it stands alone from the cartoon. Although they may be a few characters who have more backstory if you've seen them.

Last edited by Mr Majestik; 05-08-2008 at 19:17.
Mr Majestik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 20:57   #68
gavinhanly
Trusted User

Hmm - while I know Colin should be allowed to get away with anything, the pedant in me won't stop me from saying... don't we already have a thread for this?

http://www.thedvdforums.com/forums/s...ght=clone+wars
Old 05-08-2008, 22:12   #69
ourmatetone
PSN/XBL/Steam: tone217

I'm a big Star Wars fan but am finding it hard to get excited about this at all. Besides being animated, I don't find the gap between Episode II and III interesting enough to explore. Never got into the TV show for similar reasons and because I can't stand that Dexter's Laboratory animation style, it just looks really lazy to me.
ourmatetone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 22:31   #70
Niceguygeoff
I Do Deny Them My Essence

I love the Tartakovsky series and I got a little buzz about the new show just from watching that 'featurette'. It probably helped that I watched the entire Star Wars saga over the weekend.
Niceguygeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 09:31   #71
ColinP
Egomaniac / Snowflake

Thanked 1,615 Times in 760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinhanly View Post
Hmm - while I know Colin should be allowed to get away with anything, the pedant in me won't stop me from saying... don't we already have a thread for this?

http://www.thedvdforums.com/forums/s...ght=clone+wars
Spent ages trying to find a thread I've merged them now.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:25   #72
Jonnof
another man's pretentious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Majestik View Post
It follows on.
S2 of the Tartakovsky Clone Wars ended just at the point RotS began, so it won't be a follow on as such - probably more a dovetailed/parallel sequence of events (allowing plenty of room for the ensuing series).

Unless, that is, it does just stomp all over the events of the previous series, which would be a shame - this 3D animation doesn't have half the charm of Tartakovsky's approach, so it would be a pity if it was intended to supersede it.
Jonnof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 11:22   #73
Mr Majestik
Trusted User

I'm just going on from what it say's in this months Empire magazine. The reviewer seems to have seen the TV show. (It got 3 stars btw)
Mr Majestik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 14:23   #74
CRB
Trusted User

This film is a pre-cursor to the TV series in the autumn isn't it ? I expect it will be running alongside Clone Wars cartoon - but curious to see continuity with Anakin's scar, C3PO's gold plating, Palpatine's abduction etc.

Or maybe it will start up with a 24 style intro "The following takes place between episode 8 and 13 of the Clone Wars" !
CRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 16:58   #75
DrVenkman
Formerly GrossePointeJack

I was confused as to exactly when this takes place too. As mentioned, the other Clone Wars Cartoon ends when RotS begins, hence the use of General Grevious.

Anyone read about the press conference? Reporters were asked to direct questions at the producer and director as well as Lucas, but he ended up answering them all anyway, no matter how banal.

Oh and Devin from Chud found out just when Lucas is going to make those 'Art' films he keeps talking about. Basically never. I'm actually impressed that someone finally asked him just why he hasn't made any of them yet, seeing as he talks about them so much.
It's quality. You can well imagine it hangin about with R2-D2. And when the fan is switched on it looks like it's scanning for life-forms like R2-D2 does on the ice world of Hoth when Luke Skywalker goes missing. Quality in moton. The other day it disappeared. I said, "where's the bag-l gone? have the jawas come to pick it up in the sandcrawler?" to which one of the girls in the office replied, "No, Les the porter!" —Captainchode
DrVenkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 18:58   #76
Guest 2728
Trusted User

You can already tell that this movie will make the overall series continuity even more of a mess than it already is (Obi-Wan is mates with Jabba the Hutt? So why didn't he help Han Solo with his debt in Mos Eisley? Anakin and Count Dooku meeting in between Episode 2 and 3 is problematic as well). I will see it and hopefully enjoy it, but this year's big Star Wars event has to be The Force Unleashed....
Guest 2728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 19:07   #77
megatron
Trusted User

Jabba fell out with OB1 after he caught him in bed with his missus?
megatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 19:16   #78
AndyWilson
--------old-geek

The scary thing is that there isn't much less CGI in the trailer for this than there was in the trailers for the previous 3 movies...
AndyWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 22:45   #79
Niceguygeoff
I Do Deny Them My Essence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Brody View Post
You can already tell that this movie will make the overall series continuity even more of a mess than it already is (Obi-Wan is mates with Jabba the Hutt?....
As I understand it the Jedi are helping out Jabba to try and get him on the Republic's side during the Clone Wars. Even if they succeed, it doesn't mean that Jabba would give a crap about any of 'em a few decades later.

However, I don't see why folks are concerned about continuity - at least with the 2D series - as the great thing about Tartakovsky's show is that each 'season' takes place in a very limited time frame. (Unfortunately this means that the series just doesn't work when watched piecemeal, but when joined together into a seamless whole they flow perfectly, playing like a lightning paced mini-movie.)

This means that there's plenty of room for the 3D show to tiptoe around the key events of the 2D iteration, although the natural way to finish the show when the time comes would be to lead into Revenge Of The Sith. At that point Lucas will just embellish what the 2D show did, or dispense with it completely, claiming that it wasn't canon or some such nonsense.
Niceguygeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 08:39   #80
DrVenkman
Formerly GrossePointeJack

He probably will. It's odd to see just how crazy he's gone over time. Part of me admires that he's still somewhat of a maverick in Hollywood. He's basically a one-man industry. But little of that had to do with his movie making abilities and more his head for business. Gone is the Lucas that would've made 'Apocalypse Now' instead of Coppola.
It's quality. You can well imagine it hangin about with R2-D2. And when the fan is switched on it looks like it's scanning for life-forms like R2-D2 does on the ice world of Hoth when Luke Skywalker goes missing. Quality in moton. The other day it disappeared. I said, "where's the bag-l gone? have the jawas come to pick it up in the sandcrawler?" to which one of the girls in the office replied, "No, Les the porter!" —Captainchode
DrVenkman is offline   Reply With Quote