Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 12-02-2008, 11:09   #1
Mr Majestik
Trusted User

New Star Wars film out this summer! The Clone Wars

Never one to miss a chance to get a few more quid George is releasing the cgi TV show as a film.

Quote:
Another "Star Wars" tale is on its way to the bigscreen, but it won't be distributed by Fox.
Lucasfilm has partnered with Warner Bros. Pictures and Turner Broadcasting on "Star Wars: The Clone Wars," a 3-D toon that will bow in theaters this August before moving to the smallscreen in the fall. The Aug. 15 feature will set the stage for the spinoff skein, which will bow on Cartoon Network, followed by airings on TNT. International release dates for the feature and TV series are still being set.

Multiplatform project is an expansion of the earlier "Clone Wars" microseries that aired on Cartoon Network. However, Fox's homevid arm released those episodes on DVD, just as it has distributed every "Star Wars" theatrical release since 1977.

Lucasfilm said Warner Bros.' cable and theatrical resources made it an especially good fit for the project. "We're trying to do something unprecedented -- marrying TV series and theatrical release," a rep said.

Under this deal, Warner will release the film and TV skein on DVD.

Warner execs eagerly tracked the project throughout the development process, and decided to give the property a theatrical launch after seeing footage.

"I don't know anyone who wouldn't want it," said Stuart Snyder, president and chief operating officer of Turner Animation, Young Adults and Kids Media, who said a theatrical launch "has always been contemplated as part of the process."

The "Star Wars: The Clone Wars" movie is expected to run around 100 minutes and pick up between episode II and III. Anakin Skywalker is not yet Darth Vader. The story will then continue in 30-minute smallscreen installments.

George Lucas, who has revisited the property and time again over the decades, said he mounted this new spinoff because he "felt there were a lot more 'Star Wars' stories left to tell." He said he wanted to tell them through animation, pushing the technology forward at the same time.

Lucas serves as exec producer on the project, which will primarily employ voice actors. The only original actors returning are Anthony Daniels as C3PO and Matthew Wood as General Grievous and the battledroids.

Dave Filoni is the helmer. Henry Gilroy, Scott Murphy and Steven Melching are the writers. Catherine Winder is producer.

Lucasfilm Animation has already produced more than 30 episodes in the TV skein, with production continuing in Singapore and Taiwan. On Tuesday, Lucasfilm is launching an online Web docu about the project at Starwars.com.
Mr Majestik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 11:24   #2
ourmatetone
PSN/XBL/Steam: tone217

Cool, this should tide fans over until the live-action TV show. The opening crawl just won't be the same without the 20th Century Fox Fanfare though.
ourmatetone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 11:36   #3
new
Sand Dab

Mr Majestik - wheres that quote from?

A few months ago a cinema release was mentioned (see thread in TV section HERE), but it was stated the cartoon show would NOT be shown on a "a kiddie channel".

This was the last post in that thread HERE:
Quote:
Not to sure about the 8 year old target audience as Lucas was interviewed in the September 24, 2007 issue of TV Guide and revealed the following:
Quote:
40 episodes of the series have been completed
There is still no network set; "It has to go after 9 o'clock*, and it can't be on a kiddie channel."
* not sure if he means 9AM or PM here. Its not unusual for a "family" show to air after 9pm in the US)
There is also speculation that on August 8, 2008 the Clone Wars series will kick off as a theatrical release. This information was leaked at a Hasbro Stock Sharer's Conference, & has not been confirmed or denied.

Last edited by new; 12-02-2008 at 11:37.
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 11:59   #4
Mr Majestik
Trusted User

It was from Variety. So it's offical.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:15   #5
Guest 24882
Trusted User

its also on starwars.com
http://www.starwars.com/theclonewars...ouncement.html

Looking forward to this one. Without Lucas writing it should be solid, and the action looks much wilder than any other previous Star Wars material.
Guest 24882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:24   #6
Mr Majestik
Trusted User

The 2D cartoon clone wars shows were much stronger than the movies dispite being mainly silent. So fingers crossed.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:27   #7
Guest 24882
Trusted User

Sam Jackson said at the weekend he would be interested in coming back to voice Mace Windu. One imagines voice work is completely done already though?

Quote:
"And Sam Jackson sounds game to return.”Yeah, absolutely,” Jackson told MTV News today when asked if he’s interested in voicing the Mace Windu character in the new series. “I would love to,” Jackson said when asked if he’s ready to be the ill-fated Jedi warrior once again. Most exciting of all? Jackson confirmed that Lucas and company have expressed interest. “I have talked to them about it,” he said.”A lot of people love that character,” Jackson continued, pondering the continuing adventures of the only Jedi on record to wield a purple lightsaber."
Only confirmed returning film cast member is [of course] Anthony Daniels as Threepio.

Last edited by Terribly_Mauled; 12-02-2008 at 12:30.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:33   #8
ourmatetone

Hopefully with George busying himself with Indy, there'd be little meddling. Lucas has some story great ideas but the more involved he is with the creative process, the more likely the film is to fall to bits.
Old 12-02-2008, 13:28   #9
gavinhanly
Trusted User

I thought Lucas was to write the first story of the series..?
Old 12-02-2008, 13:28   #10
Guest 1466
nobody

Saw a presentation of the Clone Wars at the SW Celebration bash at the ExCel last year. The HD trailer they ran looked awesome!
Guest 1466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 13:31   #11
Mr Majestik
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinhanly View Post
I thought Lucas was to write the first story of the series..?
That's the live action TV show.

I think.
Old 12-02-2008, 13:37   #12
Guest 58450
Poke Us White Face

Writing the story is his strong point. As long as he's not writing the script, that's okay.

However, is this rewriting the stuff we saw in the Clone Wars cartoon or adding to some of it?
Guest 58450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 14:34   #13
Guest 24882
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Majestik View Post
That's the live action TV show.

I think.
Lucas has been hands on with editing the series [which is arguably his greatest skill, you can't complain about the pacing of the action scenes in Star Wars] but he hasnt written a single thing script wise for the animated series.
He is writing the opener for the Live Action series, yes.
Old 12-02-2008, 15:47   #14
Roberto
OMG! it's full of stars!

I agree he's a great idea's man, but stay away from directing please!!
Old 12-02-2008, 15:48   #15
ourmatetone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terribly_Mauled View Post
Lucas has been hands on with editing the series [which is arguably his greatest skill, you can't complain about the pacing of the action scenes in Star Wars]....
I agree, he's just a lousy script/dialogue writer and actor's director... which is probably why Empire is the best of the bunch from a filmmaking point of view.
Old 12-02-2008, 16:01   #16
Soprano
Walking the line

Quote:
Lucasfilm said Warner Bros.' cable and theatrical resources made it an especially good fit for the project. "We're trying to do something unprecedented -- marrying TV series and theatrical release," a rep said.
Not seen X-Files move then?

I’m not keen on they style of it, even if it looks better in CGI. I would have much preferred the excellent looking Iron Man-Spidey-Hulk CGI animated shorts that are doing the rounds type of animation.

And why not set it between ANH and ESB? Much more fun.
Old 12-02-2008, 16:42   #17
ourmatetone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soprano View Post
And why not set it between ANH and ESB? Much more fun.
I'm guessing because the battles of this era are at a much grander scale and make better use of the technology. Besides, they've already bridged ANH and ESB with the holiday special.
Old 12-02-2008, 16:47   #18
Guest 24882
Trusted User

Something set long after the films, like the Legacy comicbook series which is set 130 years after the original trilogy, would have been far better to be honest. Total creative freedom storywise.
Old 12-02-2008, 17:24   #19
ourmatetone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terribly_Mauled View Post
Something set long after the films, like the Legacy comicbook series which is set 130 years after the original trilogy, would have been far better to be honest. Total creative freedom storywise.
Or in the KotOR era (4000 years before), which I always thought was really interesting.

I'm guessing they're appealing to the casual fanbase/mass market and are going for familiarity though.
Old 12-02-2008, 19:56   #20
Niceguygeoff
I Do Deny Them My Essence

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKPiggott View Post
I'm guessing they're appealing to the casual fanbase/mass market and are going for familiarity though.
I've gone cold on the Extended Universe but I still love the main movies, and another slice of Clone Wars action will do me just fine.
Niceguygeoff is offline   Reply With Quote