Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Notices

Old 14-06-2002, 01:10   #1

She Wore a Yellow Ribbon

I've noticed that DVDBoxoffice are showing this as a recent release. I seem to remember that the previous release of this wasn't very good picture wise.

Does anyone have this newer release or know of any reviews of it?
Old 14-06-2002, 09:43   #2
Guest 1929
Trusted User

Wander over to the DVD and Movie review forum-John Hodson has a brief review of the new R1 release there. He gives it a thumbs up. I've only had a quick look at the disk, and it does indeed look more than acceptable on the picture quality front
Guest 1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2002, 11:42   #3
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

I've seen it twice now, and although I'm not au fait with just how much restoration work Warners have done on this, it's clear it has had major treatment. It doesn't hit you in the face as much as, say, Citizen Kane or Now Voyager, simply because it is technicolour and not mono, but there are certain scenes that jump right off the screen, the midnight raid on the Indian village for instance, Tyree's furious gallop though Monument Valley, the trudge home through the storm and mud, Tyree & Brittles backdropped by a glorious setting sun.

By the way, I received Barry Levinson's Tin Men the same day, and I was shocked by just what relatively poor condition that film was in compared to Ford's cavalry masterpiece.

While Warners are to be congratulated for at least restoring Ribbon, it is unbelieveable Ford has received such low-key treatment on DVD thus far; for such an influential director not to get the full bells and whistles two-disk treatment for at least one of his movies is little short of an outrage. We live in hope.

BTW, this only whets the appetite for Warners upcoming 65th Anniversary DVD of Robin Hood which I believe is, quite rightly, going to get the full SE treatment.

---
'I'm not crying. I want to stand up and cheer.'
John Hodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2002, 17:03   #4
Guest 1764
Dry hair’s for squids

Cover design on this release is quite appalling - a really poor effort.
Guest 1764 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2002, 18:23   #5

Quote:
Originally posted by John Hodson
I've seen it twice now, and although I'm not au fait with just how much restoration work Warners have done on this, it's clear it has had major treatment. It doesn't hit you in the face as much as, say, Citizen Kane or Now Voyager, simply because it is technicolour and not mono, but there are certain scenes that jump right off the screen, the midnight raid on the Indian village for instance, Tyree's furious gallop though Monument Valley, the trudge home through the storm and mud, Tyree & Brittles backdropped by a glorious setting sun.

By the way, I received Barry Levinson's Tin Men the same day, and I was shocked by just what relatively poor condition that film was in compared to Ford's cavalry masterpiece.

While Warners are to be congratulated for at least restoring Ribbon, it is unbelieveable Ford has received such low-key treatment on DVD thus far; for such an influential director not to get the full bells and whistles two-disk treatment for at least one of his movies is little short of an outrage. We live in hope.

BTW, this only whets the appetite for Warners upcoming 65th Anniversary DVD of Robin Hood which I believe is, quite rightly, going to get the full SE treatment.

---
'I'm not crying. I want to stand up and cheer.'
Thanks for that. That just leaves Fort Apache and the trilogy will have had a reasonable treatment.
Old 14-06-2002, 18:48   #6
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Which region of Rio Grande have you got Cornelius, and how good is the picture?

---
So many films, so little time...
John Hodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2002, 19:06   #7

I've got the R1 version of Rio Grande and the pictures very good indeed, clean, sharp and detailed. There is some print damage with the odd little white speck appearing in some scenes but you'd have to really look for it. It doesn't distract from the scenes in question at all.

I wouldn't hesitate in recommending it to anyone, it's comes under the 'Silver Classics' label. I got it from DVDBoxoffice try
here
Old 14-06-2002, 19:49   #8
Guest 8163
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally posted by jonathan.e
Cover design on this release is quite appalling - a really poor effort.
I thought exactly the same thing. It’s like they didn’t give a crap, and just went with the first design put forward.
Guest 8163 is offline   Reply With Quote