Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > DVD and Blu-ray Discussion

Old 06-10-2009, 15:41   #81
bosque
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryKrinkle View Post
Wow...what a lot of hot air this thread has created!!

...it's only an 'extra feature', as far as I can tell the film has been given a wonderful restoration and is presented as it was intended. The technique of colorization (...to use it's american spelling) is quite interesting, the only clips I've seen have been dreadfully gimmicky and in no way would I watch such material as it would ruin the viewing experience...however, the screen grabs for this one look pretty good and I for one am looking forward to seeing it! In no way would I ever consider the B/W version to be anything other than the definitive version, but I'm kinda curious about this one.

...stands a chance I'll never watch the colour version again, but then I hardly watch the extras on DVDs/BDs anyway...it's all about the movie for me!!
I think they're offering the B/W version as a special feature, and as a concession to the handful of crinklies with quaint views on how a movie should be presented.
bosque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 17:09   #82
Shingster
Trusted User

The B&W version is on Disc 01 bosque, it is not there as an extra feature.
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 17:25   #83
Shingster
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livius View Post
BTW, for future reference, I think you'll find your personal attacks will read so much better when you spell words like vitriol properly.
OH NOES!!! I spelt vitriol with an e on the end, well that completely negates everything I've said so far in this thread doesn't it?

I actually think it is a fair observation to describe your posts in this thread as vitriolic, so if you think my previous comment was a personal attack you must live a very charmed life. Still, our debate has reached a total impasse (I'm pretty sure there's an e on the end of that one! ) so I agree it should be dropped.

Last edited by Shingster; 06-10-2009 at 17:27.
Old 06-10-2009, 21:33   #84
Guest 68244
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wowbagger View Post
Would you please explain what is 'high and mighty' about preferring to watch films the way they were actually made?
Nothing.
But why have a hissy fit just because colorised versions are available.
You're not forced to watch them.

All colorised Blurays that I know of have included the B&W original too so who cares ?
Guest 68244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 21:40   #85
Guest 68244
Banned

Quote:
Well I've been down this road before and have often stated my conviction that the colorisation process stinks, both aesthetically and in principle. I really don't feel like going into all the arguments again, suffice to say I do not buy this argument that there are hordes of budding film buffs out there just aching to get into older movies if only they weren't presented in damned B&W.
Well there are .
Ever wondered about the lack of B&W material on broadcast tv.

Its because nobody watches it - at least not enough people.

There are obvious B&W films that would never be colorised like Psycho,Citizen Kane etc but like it or not B&W stuff does not appeal to the IPOD generation .

But the real mystery is why it bothers you that this material is available.

The 80's idea that these would replace the original versions has quite clearly not come to pass so why worry.

Colorisation has quite rightly been shunned by most people for 2 decades but Legend films are now able to colorise to a level that makes the material of interest to people who previously would not have looked at B&W product.

All the Bluray releases feature colour and B&W so there's the ideal solution and you choose what you want to see.

Nobody is removing your option to see things how they were made.

Does the "angle" button not work on your player?
Old 06-10-2009, 21:42   #86
Guest 68244
Banned

Quote:
Actually it's not just my opinion - both Capra and Jimmy Stewart are on record as being opposed to the colorisation of this film.

And quite right they were too when they saw the 80's colouring book look of that colourisation- all the stuff done back then like the Laurel & Hardy films were all rubbish.

As neither of them saw the current version your comment is outdated.

But todays colourisation is far better.
Bewitched looks as if it was made in colour.

And Ray Harryhausen has given approval for the 3 films he made for Columbia in B&W
Old 07-10-2009, 08:25   #87
orac
information is restricted

Those DVDbeaver shots of the standard DVD look great - especially how they have coloured Donna Reed.. can't wait to see this.

Films you must see
orac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:08   #88
godber
Trusted User

Woody Allen famously never watches his films once he's finished filming them.

I wonder then; if he saw a colourised version of Manhattan, would he find it odd? Presumably he's never seen in it B&W and will remember that everything was in colour on the set?

Why don't we think about that for a while instead of tearing lumps into each other...
godber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2009, 13:58   #89
orac

so anyone see any screenshots of the blu ray? (out Monday) really want to see shots of the coloured version*

*and I am not joking

Films you must see

Last edited by orac; 30-10-2009 at 13:59.
Old 30-10-2009, 19:16   #90
Guest 38857
Wallflower

HMV delivered my copy to me on Wednesday. Some good can come of those threats of postal strikes!

Overall the colour is convincing and unobtrusive. James Stewart occasionally comes close to having the skin tone of a zombie, and hair colour can be seen to change multiple times in a single scene, but other than that it's a refreshing way of viewing a movie I watch every year. I love the look of the neon signs in Pottersville.

Above all else, the actual clarity of the picture in both versions (I haven't watched the B&W one in its entirety as I need to save something for Christmas Eve!) is far better than I was expecting. The stingy extras mean this is far from a definitive release, but if you just want to watch the film in HD, then it gets my recommendation.

Last edited by Cha; 30-10-2009 at 19:18.
Guest 38857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2009, 21:49   #91
Guest 68244
Banned

Does it not have the dvd extras ?

Thats the donkeys years old featurette with Tom Bosley and some comments from Capras son
Old 31-10-2009, 18:41   #92
Livius
Is it far?

The Beaver's review of the Blu-ray here.

I have to say it does look excellent - just a pity there's no way to filter out those vomit inducing colorized screencaps
Old 31-10-2009, 19:07   #93
Richie
Trusted User

I just hope the Universal UK release is an identical picture encode, I guess at some point soon that'll get confirmed or not. Looks like the UK gets better "extras" with the PiP stuff (pretty pointless but still).
Cha, is the UK release one disc or two? If both versions are on one disc over here I'm getting the US release.

Last edited by Richie; 31-10-2009 at 19:21.
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2009, 22:26   #94
Guest 68244
Banned

Apparently the US Bluray has lost the Frank Capra documentary.

The UK release is even worse as it has squeezed both colour and B&W versions onto a single disc whereas the US gives each version its own dual layer Blu disc

Seems the US release was the right choice after all
Old 01-11-2009, 00:39   #95
orac

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceofwands View Post
Apparently the US Bluray has lost the Frank Capra documentary.

The UK release is even worse as it has squeezed both colour and B&W versions onto a single disc whereas the US gives each version its own dual layer Blu disc

Seems the US release was the right choice after all
mmm wonder if theres a difference in PQ compared to the dvd beaver US screens

Films you must see
Old 01-11-2009, 10:00   #96
Guest 38857
Wallflower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie View Post
Cha, is the UK release one disc or two? If both versions are on one disc over here I'm getting the US release.
One disc, but I'll be impressed if the US version looks any better than what I saw the other night.
Guest 38857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 11:04   #97
bosque
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cha View Post
Overall the colour is convincing and unobtrusive. James Stewart occasionally comes close to having the skin tone of a zombie, and hair colour can be seen to change multiple times in a single scene, but other than that it's a refreshing way of viewing a movie I watch every year. I love the look of the neon signs in Pottersville.
Is it actually physically possible to colorise a B/W movie unobtrusively ? If it were unobtrusive it would mean you could hardly notice the vandalisation and I don't think that is what you are implying here.
bosque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 12:04   #98
Richie
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cha View Post
One disc, but I'll be impressed if the US version looks any better than what I saw the other night.
Thanks for confirming, Cha.
Surely a whole disc for one version would mean a better overall presentation though? I hope the beaver or someone does a comparison for the curious.
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 13:13   #99
Shingster
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie View Post
I just hope the Universal UK release is an identical picture encode
So the UK release is from Universal and it has both versions of the film on one disc? I wouldn't bet money that it matches the 40Mbps US transfers.
Old 01-11-2009, 13:43   #100
Guest 66681
Trusted User

can anyone comment on the B&W transfer...is it pin sharp like for example Casablanca?
Guest 66681 is offline   Reply With Quote