Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > DVD and Blu-ray Discussion

Old 06-10-2009, 09:40   #61
Guest 66681
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livius View Post
Listen Ben, every time a fact is presented you come back with the old "well, it's my opinion" line. I'm sure there are those who prefer to see It's a Wonderful Life in garish crayoned in form. I'm equally sure there are those who believe the world to be flat, or the moon to be made of cheese etc. That's their opinion - I'm happy for them. However, it doesn't make them right or require me to take that opinion into account.
That's fine but whether you like it or not the whole point of any thread is taking other peoples viewpoints into consideration...if you don't want to then I accept that...
Guest 66681 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 09:42   #62
Guest 66681
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cha View Post
All this talk of B&W vs colour. Pfft, if you're not watching it on BBC2 on a portable TV in the kitchen with the occasional bit of interference, then you're really not watching it properly at all.
lol I like that Cha
Old 06-10-2009, 10:03   #63
Shingster
Trusted User

Quote:
suffice to say I do not buy this argument that there are hordes of budding film buffs out there just aching to get into older movies if only they weren't presented in damned B&W.
Who said anything about budding film buffs just aching to get into older movies? Have you never heard of casual film fans?
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:15   #64
orac
information is restricted

always wanted to see this in colour and the dvdbeaver screencaps for the standard dvd look very good..

Not "following the sheep" on this - its entirely upto each individual what they think - for me, its a christmas film and I would like to see it in colour.

Films you must see
orac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:53   #65
Livius
Is it far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingster View Post
Who said anything about budding film buffs just aching to get into older movies? Have you never heard of casual film fans?
We're talking about a film that's well over 60 years old. On DVD. The number of casual film fans seeking this out, or anything else of this vintage for that matter, is likely to be very small indeed.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:59   #66
Shingster
Trusted User

We're talking about one of the most famous and beloved seasonal films of all time, one that always enters the social subconscious once a year thanks to extended TV play (in America if not here). I don't think it's that much of a stretch to suggest casual film fans may be interested in checking it out "to see what the fuss is about".

Last edited by Shingster; 06-10-2009 at 11:00.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:09   #67
Livius
Is it far?

Well supposing you're right (and TBH I'm still not really convinced) it's doubly tragic that their first introduction to this "beloved seasonal film" might well be this rank crayoning job.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:21   #68
Shingster
Trusted User

I think it's more tragic that you've got into such a tizz of righteous indignation because a person you've never met and will never meet just might want to watch a B&W film in colour!

I couldn't care less if any of my friends ignore It's A Wonderful Life because it is in B&W but will give it a go if they are presented with the colourised version, I adore the film and watch it in all its original B&W glory every christmas - and that won't change even if Paramount release a million new colourised editions!

Last edited by Shingster; 06-10-2009 at 11:32.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:28   #69
Ste7en
Goin' Home to Satan

Ultimately, if Paramount think that releasing the B&W and colourised versions together could possibly improve sales figures I personally can't see the problem.

You 'can' choose which version to watch

I'd rather have the choice than not have it on BD at all.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:32   #70
Livius
Is it far?

Quote:
I think it's more tragic that you've got into such a tizz of righteous indignation because a person you've never met and will never meet just might want to watch a B&W film in colour!
What's it got to do with you how I feel?

For the record, I couldn't care less if someone chooses to watch this crayoned in, stretched to 16:9 or with an all new bells and whistles 5.1 remix - that's their loss. I do, however, object to people intimating that there's no right or wrong way to present a movie and everything just boils down to a matter of opinion.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:09   #71
Shingster
Trusted User

Quote:
What's it got to do with you how I feel?
What's it got to do with you if Joe Bloggs might want to watch It's A Wonderful Life in colour and Paramount offer an easily ignored extra version of the film to exploit just that?

Quote:
I do, however, object to people intimating that there's no right or wrong way to present a movie and everything just boils down to a matter of opinion.
Please show me where in this thread (or Gary Tooze's review for that matter) any poster has made any such intimation (other than orac in post #64 perhaps). I think you're confusing this thread with the "DVDs with "controversial" OARs" thread. Try to keep your vitriole focussed on the right debate!

Last edited by Shingster; 06-10-2009 at 12:12.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:32   #72
Livius
Is it far?

I think the confusion's entirely your own, old man.

BTW, for future reference, I think you'll find your personal attacks will read so much better when you spell words like vitriol properly.

Anyway, I'm outta here. (Yeah, I found the wave icon too!)
Old 06-10-2009, 12:37   #73
Wowbagger
Don't tell him, Pike

Quote:
Please show me where in this thread... any poster has made any such intimation...
Well since you ask, the OP states that quite clearly in post #46:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben001 View Post
we are not talking about widescreen or fullscreen but I take your point that Capra and Stewart may have wanted it in Black and White but time has moved on has it not since we are talking about how to market a blu-ray which didn't exist in their time and showing it in high defintion which didn't exist in their time either...As to presenting things wrongly that again is only your opinion...
Wowbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 12:54   #74
Guest 66681
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wowbagger View Post
Well since you ask, the OP states that quite clearly in post #46:
totally taken out of context but then what else would you expect....The fact is when It's a Wonderful Life came out it was never shown on standard tv which was then in 4:3 when it was a good number of years later...Then televisons went widescreen instead of 4:3 so in itself that changed the goalposts in that a lot of people could either watch the 4:3 on a widescreen tv or zoom it up to fill the screen if they choose...I feel that more discussion on this thread should be made toward enjoying this release (whatever way peolpe choose to view it whether in some peoples minds its right or wrong) The whole emphasis of It's a Wonderful Life is that it's a feel good film and should be enjoyed in that context instead of this endless stupid argument of what way it should or should not be looked at....
Old 06-10-2009, 13:00   #75
Wowbagger
Don't tell him, Pike

It wasn't taken out of context at all. You should read what you wrote, and what you were replying to, more closely.
Wowbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 13:30   #76
Guest 66681
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wowbagger View Post
It wasn't taken out of context at all. You should read what you wrote, and what you were replying to, more closely.
I plan to watch It's a Wonderful Life and enjoy for the feel good film that it is whether I want to watch it in 4:3 , colour, black and white, widescreen,is my business and likewise whoever chooses to watch it in whatever way they feel comfortable that's their business....so good luck and enjoy the film for what it is a true masterpiece
Old 06-10-2009, 13:59   #77
godber
Trusted User

I don't get it? At the end of the day it's the same film, is it any less good if it's in colour? Does that make the performances poorer, the plot development weaker or the sentiment less charming?

It's the same - pardon my French - flipping film! It'd be far greater sacrilige if they cut the final 20 minutes of the film and gave it a miserable ending - now that would be worth getting worked up over.
godber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 14:21   #78
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

James Stewart's views on this can be found in this rare sound clip.
John Hodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 14:23   #79
Richie
Trusted User

Last edited by Richie; 06-10-2009 at 14:27.
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 14:43   #80
HenryKrinkle
Clean, like my conscience

Wow...what a lot of hot air this thread has created!!

...it's only an 'extra feature', as far as I can tell the film has been given a wonderful restoration and is presented as it was intended. The technique of colorization (...to use it's american spelling) is quite interesting, the only clips I've seen have been dreadfully gimmicky and in no way would I watch such material as it would ruin the viewing experience...however, the screen grabs for this one look pretty good and I for one am looking forward to seeing it! In no way would I ever consider the B/W version to be anything other than the definitive version, but I'm kinda curious about this one.

...stands a chance I'll never watch the colour version again, but then I hardly watch the extras on DVDs/BDs anyway...it's all about the movie for me!!