Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > DVD and Blu-ray Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2009, 13:21   #21
Richie
Trusted User
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 23,671
Thanks: 238
Thanked 159 Times in 82 Posts
To be fair he's reviewing the whole package and that's part of it as an extra, and yes it is "good" for a colourised version of a b&w film. I wouldn't want to watch the film that way myself but it's still technically a good effort.

And if you bothered to actually read the review you'd note he says:
Quote:
Well, they colorized It's a Wonderful Life. This site in no way endorses the colorization of classic films but we will make some points in regards to this new Paramount edition.

Last edited by Richie; 05-10-2009 at 13:22.
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 13:50   #22
bosque
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 4,623
Thanks: 100
Thanked 25 Times in 24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie View Post
To be fair he's reviewing the whole package and that's part of it as an extra, and yes it is "good" for a colourised version of a b&w film. I wouldn't want to watch the film that way myself but it's still technically a good effort.

And if you bothered to actually read the review you'd note he says:
I did bother to actually read the review, dude.
bosque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 13:52   #23
HenryKrinkle
Clean, like my conscience
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Downtown
Posts: 4,238
Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'll certainly be watching the colourised version...why the hell not?! Of course the B/W version is the best but if you view the '*******ised' version as a curious extra, what's the harm...those screen caps do look good, quite looking forward to it now!
__________________
"Suck on this!"
HenryKrinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 13:59   #24
Shingster
Trusted User
 
Shingster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 9,107
Thanks: 604
Thanked 599 Times in 336 Posts
If you had paid proper attention to the review bosque you would have noticed that he reviews the B&W version as well, stating that disc01 of the new release is a port of Paramount's previous DVD release of the film. That's why he only bothered to post screencaps from the colourised version, as screenshots from the B&W version are already in that review.

Last edited by Shingster; 05-10-2009 at 14:09.
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 14:39   #25
bosque
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 4,623
Thanks: 100
Thanked 25 Times in 24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingster View Post
If you had paid proper attention to the review bosque you would have noticed that he reviews the B&W version as well, stating that disc01 of the new release is a port of Paramount's previous DVD release of the film. That's why he only bothered to post screencaps from the colourised version, as screenshots from the B&W version are already in that review.
That's a good reason to like the colorised version, to find it "impressive", is it ? God save us from idiots.
bosque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 14:50   #26
Guest 66681
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 174
Thanks: 5
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Have to be honest and say that certain films I like watching in black and white and It's A Wonderful Life is one of them ....however would certainly be interested in seeing how good the colourised version is especially on blu-ray
Guest 66681 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 15:08   #27
Wowbagger
Don't tell him, Pike
 
Wowbagger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Between the land and the sky
Posts: 3,274
Thanks: 236
Thanked 206 Times in 136 Posts
I can't believe that people in the industry look at classic and much-loved b&w films like this and think 'hey, let's colour it in!'
Wowbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 15:16   #28
Richie
Trusted User
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 23,671
Thanks: 238
Thanked 159 Times in 82 Posts
It's a case of "not because they should but because they can" and the bean counters just see it as another revenue stream. I have a feeling we're going to see more of it as the technology advances. They can add what they want so long as they always include the original version (which has always been my argument for modern remixes of mono films too). I consider it an extra which can be ignored or not as the viewer desires.
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 15:25   #29
Wowbagger
Don't tell him, Pike
 
Wowbagger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Between the land and the sky
Posts: 3,274
Thanks: 236
Thanked 206 Times in 136 Posts
I consider it something I'd like to be able to take out of the box and throw away, but I think they're on the same disc.
Wowbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 16:16   #30
BigH
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Brighton
Posts: 5,396
Thanks: 20
Thanked 36 Times in 27 Posts
not having a go at the reviewer, as it's his job to review, but I'm with bosque and wowbagger

it could be the greatest 'colorisation' ever done, but have no interest in watching it, and any fan of this film shouldn't either

on another point, have many other classic films been given this treatment - it always seems that this film is the one that gets mentioned
__________________
I love my dead gay son
BigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 16:19   #31
Richie
Trusted User
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 23,671
Thanks: 238
Thanked 159 Times in 82 Posts
Is it maybe something to do with it's copyright status?
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 20:17   #32
Goooner1
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 1,928
Thanks: 211
Thanked 78 Times in 52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie View Post
It's a case of "not because they should but because they can" and the bean counters just see it as another revenue stream. I have a feeling we're going to see more of it as the technology advances. They can add what they want so long as they always include the original version (which has always been my argument for modern remixes of mono films too). I consider it an extra which can be ignored or not as the viewer desires.
Sadly there are people that just wouldn't watch a movie at all, no matter how good, just because it was in B & W, sadly my wife was one such person, until I re-educated her of course
__________________
Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.
Benjamin Franklin
Goooner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 21:14   #33
Guest 66681
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 174
Thanks: 5
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I think whether it's black and white or colour isn't really the viewpoint of this thread rather that It's A Wonderful Life is one of the Classic films of it's time and it's just great to see just a fantastic film arrive on blu-ray...I couldn't wait for this title on blu-ray which is why I started the thread
Guest 66681 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 22:23   #34
Guest 68244
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 539
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While all the high and mighty non colour fans sit back and watch these films in their B&W glory I don't see the problem if the colour version is included as a bonus as long as the original is there too.

The Harryhausen trio certainly looked ok in colour (well two of them did) and both dvd and bd gave the option to switch between the two versions so why whittle.

Colour gives films and tv shows a chance of reaching new audiences who would not bother if they were in B&W- but then once they enjoy the colour version they can watch the original when they are better educated.

I expected Miracle on 34th Street to include the colour version and the box says "1985 -colourised" on the back cover so I was sweating for a minute until I discovered the B&W version although it would have been nice to have colour too as with the dvd.
Guest 68244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 22:44   #35
Livius
Is it far?
 
Livius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Somewhere in the Med
Posts: 1,587
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceofwands View Post
Colour gives films and tv shows a chance of reaching new audiences who would not bother if they were in B&W- but then once they enjoy the colour version they can watch the original when they are better educated.
This argument has been trotted out many times before and I'm sorry, but it's basically horse ****.
Those people who are so blinkered as to refuse to watch a film in B&W are not going to be swayed by coloring in. The real objection they have is that the film is old and, in their eyes, anything old must by definition be rubbish.
If the only issue was the lack of colour there would be stampedes for stuff like The Adventures of Robin Hood.
__________________
Riding the High Country
Livius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 23:06   #36
Guest 68244
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 539
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livius View Post
This argument has been trotted out many times before and I'm sorry, but it's basically horse ****.
Those people who are so blinkered as to refuse to watch a film in B&W are not going to be swayed by coloring in. The real objection they have is that the film is old and, in their eyes, anything old must by definition be rubbish.
If the only issue was the lack of colour there would be stampedes for stuff like The Adventures of Robin Hood.
Sorry but its your argument thats crap.
The addition of colour meant that Granada+ and Living will air the first 2 seasons of Bewitched whereas they would not if they were B&W.

No tv channels will air any B&W tv shows with the exception of ITV3 who still show the B&W editions of On the Buses - but when was the last time you saw a US show in B&W on mainstream tv .

When BBC2 decide to show The Munsters its well hidden away .

Colorised material will be shown by tv channels at any time of the day whereas B&W won't.

And if the public were not interested in old material one wonders why ITV show the nearly 50 year old Bond films across almost the entire network on a regular basis .

Its not colour or B&W that dates material (although that does not help) but its production style ,acting , music etc which is why the Robin Hood you refer to would be unlikely to get a decent slot.

You are right that audiences don't go for old material as much but there is lots of old material that DOES get shown but only because its colour.

ITV4 have shown nearly all the 1 hour ITC shows and persist in showing colour episodes of The Saint even though the B&W ones were far better- yet BBC2 had no problem showing Stingray and Thunderbirds that were made at the same time as The ( early) Saint because they were made in colour.

So colour brings B&W material to a wider audience and as long as the commercial release offers both versions there should be no problem - nobody forces you to watch the colour version - but there will be some buyers for whom the color version is the one they want to see
Guest 68244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 23:36   #37
Wowbagger
Don't tell him, Pike
 
Wowbagger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Between the land and the sky
Posts: 3,274
Thanks: 236
Thanked 206 Times in 136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceofwands View Post
While all the high and mighty non colour fans sit back and watch these films in their B&W glory...
Would you please explain what is 'high and mighty' about preferring to watch films the way they were actually made?
Wowbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 23:44   #38
Richie
Trusted User
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 23,671
Thanks: 238
Thanked 159 Times in 82 Posts
Well, thank god that 'It's a Wonderful Life' is a timeless masterpiece is all I can add!
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 00:00   #39
Shingster
Trusted User
 
Shingster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 9,107
Thanks: 604
Thanked 599 Times in 336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livius View Post
Those people who are so blinkered as to refuse to watch a film in B&W are not going to be swayed by coloring in.
Yes they are, looking at how professional a job Paramount have done in colourising the film, I can say with 100% certainy that many of my friends who damn near flat-out refuse to watch almost any B&W film would be nowhere near as reluctant to watch the colourised version of this film.

I'm not saying this as a supporter of colourisation, as I doubt I'd ever watch a colourised film more than once simply out of curiosity; but anyone who thinks there aren't filmwatchers out there who avoid B&W productions like the plague and would happily view colourisation as an "improvement", clearly does not know enough working class casual filmgoers!!

I agree that the age of a film is an issue with such fans, but it's not nearly as important as the B&W/colour issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wowbagger View Post
Would you please explain what is 'high and mighty' about preferring to watch films the way they were actually made?
Nothing, but the tone of some people's posts in this thread suggest they're ready to burn this new Paramount release on bonfires in the streets purely for containing the colourised version of the film (not to mention hang Gary Tooze from a tree for daring to review said version!), and are ignoring the fact that the original version is there untampered and respectfully presented. The addition of a colourised version is purely that - an addition, you simply choose to ignore it ever existed (and let the reviewers do their damn jobs!).

Last edited by Shingster; 06-10-2009 at 00:11.
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:57   #40
Guest 66681
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 174
Thanks: 5
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livius View Post
This argument has been trotted out many times before and I'm sorry, but it's basically horse ****.
Those people who are so blinkered as to refuse to watch a film in B&W are not going to be swayed by coloring in. The real objection they have is that the film is old and, in their eyes, anything old must by definition be rubbish.
If the only issue was the lack of colour there would be stampedes for stuff like The Adventures of Robin Hood.
tbh...I cannot see the harm in giving the choice to people who might prefer colour and think that it's a good point that the younger generations to come may prefer to watch this classic in colour rather than black and white....I personally prefer watching It's a Wonderful Life in B&W but that's only my choice....I think if the blu-ray had been released in B&W only the ironic thing is there may have been complaining about it not having the colourised option...So I just look at it as an option on the blu-ray that is a nice added extra just like any other extra that people choose to see on any other blu-ray... I know there are purists out there who prefer to watch older films in B&W and I am one of them....But hey "live and let live" if people want the choice to watch it in colour then there is no harm in that at all....so chill out guys

Last edited by ben001; 06-10-2009 at 06:58.
Guest 66681 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
Albert Hackett, Beulah Bondi, Blu-ray Disc, Bobby Anderson, Charles Lane, Charles Williams, Donna Reed, Frances Goodrich, Frank Albertson, Frank Capra, Frank Faylen, Gloria Grahame, H. B. Warner, Henry Travers, It's a Wonderful Life, James Stewart, Jo Swerling, Lillian Randolph, Lionel Barrymore, Mary Treen, Samuel S. Hinds, Sheldon Leonard, Todd Karns, Virginia Patton, Ward Bond

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
it's a wonderful life Guest 23584 Film Discussion 75 03-12-2008 21:17
It's a wonderful life R4 Guest 16495 Film Discussion 5 20-10-2002 18:15

All times are GMT. The time now is 17:15.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.qq
Copyright ©2000 - 2021 Network N Ltd.