Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 02-05-2007, 13:10   #41
charlie angel
Trusted Schmoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anephric View Post
62, but I don't get much chance to watch anything vaguely "classic" unless I'm on my own these days
That's part of the reason why I'm going through it so slowly - I have to bin the Mrs first before I can get my classic freak on.
charlie angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 13:23   #42
anephric
Kidney Thief

Nuke her from orbit.

Just to put my big lady-patronising hat on (bless her) she tried to watch 2001 with me once (in a cinema, no less) and fell asleep just as Bowman was doing laps of the Discovery.

I thought it best not to wake her. If it ain't got Reese Witherspoon or Sandra Bullock in it, she ain't watchin' it.
Old 02-05-2007, 13:39   #43
Guest 56272
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan George View Post
Only 38! My problem is that I have such terrible taste.
If there was more films like: In Like Flint/The Long Ships/Taras Bulba/The pure Hell Of St Trinian's in the list, then the number would be much higher.
Though I have seen many, I don't think 5 of these films can be counted among my favorites and to be quite honest, many titles in that list bore me to death!

Where are The Constant Nymph, OKlahoma!, Going My Way, Portrait of Jennie? These are more my style.
Guest 56272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 14:18   #44
Guest 20765
Bathing in minutiae

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie angel View Post
That's part of the reason why I'm going through it so slowly - I have to bin the Mrs first before I can get my classic freak on.
ditto and squared with anything subtitled.
Fortunately my missus works some evenings and I can watch decent stuff on my own a bit
I also have a habit of being awake early and can get some serious viewing in at 6 am before I have to get ready for work.
Guest 20765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 14:46   #45
Guest 20794
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by anephric View Post
62, but I don't get much chance to watch anything vaguely "classic" unless I'm on my own these days, which isn't terribly inspiring for me to do so. Hence most of those I would've watched at uni.
My problem exactly. But I'm stupid enough to keep trying (consequence: after 5 min she tells me the film sucks, and after that I can't enjoy it either). So I have some 50+ unwatched films on my shelf (3 of them are on the list).

And to answer the original question, I have seen 69 of them.
Guest 20794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 15:48   #46
Guest 57028
Banned

looks like I've seen 67...

"Question How many of these classics have you seen?
just a bit of fun for a warm afternoon - the site theyshootpictures.com has tallied the 1000 most well-reviewed films of all time & collated a list; supposedly the creme de la creme of celluloid - I've charged myself with the mission of seeing as many of the top 100 as I can; so far I'm up to a pitiful 30

Anyone seen the lot? Judging by the wealth of knowledge on this forum there must be a few here who have, or are at least extremely close."

The list -

1 Citizen Kane
2 Rules of the Game, The/La Regle du jeu
3 Vertigo
4 2001: A Space Odyssey
5 8½

6 Seven Samurai, The
7 Godfather, The
8 Tokyo Story/Tokyo monogatari
9 Searchers, The
10 Singin' in the Rain
11 Sunrise
12 Battleship Potemkin/Potemkin
13 Lawrence of Arabia
14 Passion of Joan of Arc, The

15 Rashomon
16 L'Atalante
17 Bicycle Thief, The/Ladri di Biciclette
18 Godfather Part II, The
19 Raging Bull
20 Third Man, The
21 City Lights
22 Touch of Evil

23 La Dolce Vita
24 Les Enfants du Paradis/Children of Paradise
25 Casablanca
26 La Grande Illusion/Grand Illusion
27 General, The [1926]
28 Sunset Blvd.
29 Psycho [1960]
30 Breathless/A Bout de Souffle

31 L'Avventura
32 Some Like it Hot
33 Jules et Jim
34 Persona
35 Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
36 Seventh Seal, The
37 Taxi Driver
38 Gold Rush, The

39 Andrei Rublev
40 Chinatown
41 Ordet

42 Pather Panchali
43 It's a Wonderful Life
44 Apocalypse Now
45 Rear Window
46 Intolerance

47 Ugetsu Monogatari/Ugetsu
48 400 Blows, The/Les Quatre Cents Coups
49 Contempt/Le Mepris
50 Au Hasard, Balthazar/Balthazar
51 Magnificent Ambersons, The
52 Night of the Hunter, The
53 M
54 Wild Strawberries/Smultronsället
55 Wild Bunch, The
56 Modern Times
57 Wizard of Oz, The

58 Conformist, The
59 La Strada
60 Mirror, The/Zerkalo
61 Nashville
62 Fanny and Alexander
63 North by Northwest
64 Greed
65 Metropolis
66 Blade Runner
67 Rio Bravo

68 Earrings of Madame de.../Madame de...
69 Sherlock, Jr.
70 Pickpocket
71 Playtime
72 L'Age d'Or
73 Ikiru/To Live/Doomed/Living
74 Voyage in Italy/Viaggio in Italia/Journey to Italy
75 All About Eve
76 Pierrot le fou
77 Apartment, The
78 Viridiana
79 Aguirre: The Wrath of God
80 Once Upon a Time in the West
81 Barry Lyndon
82 On the Waterfront

83 Man with a Movie Camera, The
84 Blue Velvet
85 Nosferatu

86 Leopard, The
87 Notorious
88 My Darling Clementine
89 Gone with the Wind

90 Sansho the Bailiff/Sansho Dayu
91 His Girl Friday
92 Clockwork Orange, A

93 Last Year at Marienbad
94 Dekalog/Decalogue
95 Letter from an Unknown Woman
96 King Kong [1933]
97 Amarcord
98 Duck Soup
99 Stagecoach
100 Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, The

Last edited by Jefty; 02-05-2007 at 16:04.
Guest 57028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 17:19   #47
pompeyfan
Built for comfort

9 Searchers, The
13 Lawrence of Arabia
32 Some Like it Hot
36 Seventh Seal, The
43 It's a Wonderful Life
57 Wizard of Oz, The
63 North by Northwest
67 Rio Bravo
85 Nosferatu
89 Gone with the Wind
96 King Kong [1933]
98 Duck Soup

So a pitiful 12 but I've tried weatching some of the others and got bored quickly and tbh I've no real plans to increase on my 12 total.
Old 02-05-2007, 18:37   #48
anephric
Kidney Thief

So you endured Bergman's morbid chin-stroking but haven't watched The Godfather I/II? How peculiar.
Old 02-05-2007, 18:44   #49
Guest 57579
Tennessee Stud

Quote:
Originally Posted by pompeyfan View Post
I've tried weatching some of the others and got bored quickly
Yeah, too much black and white and some of them even have little words at the bottom!
Guest 57579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 19:28   #50
nwgarratt
Trusted User

A poor 43.

1 Citizen Kane
3 Vertigo
4 2001: A Space Odyssey
6 Seven Samurai, The
7 Godfather, The
8 Tokyo Story/Tokyo monogatari
10 Singin' in the Rain
12 Battleship Potemkin/Potemkin
13 Lawrence of Arabia
14 Passion of Joan of Arc, The
15 Rashomon
18 Godfather Part II, The
19 Raging Bull
20 Third Man, The
22 Touch of Evil
25 Casablanca
28 Sunset Blvd.
29 Psycho [1960]
30 Breathless/A Bout de Souffle
32 Some Like it Hot
35 Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
36 Seventh Seal, The
37 Taxi Driver
40 Chinatown
43 It's a Wonderful Life
44 Apocalypse Now
45 Rear Window
52 Night of the Hunter, The
55 Wild Bunch, The
57 Wizard of Oz, The
63 North by Northwest
65 Metropolis
66 Blade Runner
67 Rio Bravo
77 Apartment, The
80 Once Upon a Time in the West
81 Barry Lyndon
82 On the Waterfront
84 Blue Velvet
85 Nosferatu
89 Gone with the Wind
92 Clockwork Orange, A
96 King Kong [1933]
nwgarratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 20:38   #51
pompeyfan
Built for comfort

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydefro View Post
Yeah, too much black and white and some of them even have little words at the bottom!
Don't mind black & white or subtitles, although subtitles can be a problem as partially sighted - the others either just don't appeal or tried them and didn't like them.
pompeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 21:05   #52
Livius
Is it far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinéKarine View Post
Where are The Constant Nymph, OKlahoma!, Going My Way, Portrait of Jennie? These are more my style.
Agreed. Personally, I'm no great musicals fan but I could sit through hundreds with a big smile on my face for the simple reason that they offer some entertainment. That's a good deal more than I can say for some of the snorefests represented on that original list. Just hearing the names Bergman and Rossellini is enough to bring me out in a cold sweat.

TBH, the more I think of it I can't abide the motives behind such lists. It just smells of some guys setting themselves up as the "Good Taste Police" and compiling a list against which we are all supposed to compare ourselves and be informed about what is good for us. Well, I've never given one particular damn what anyone thought was good for me - I figure I'm capable of deciding such things for myself.

Sorry, I'm not normally given to rants - but I just needed to get that off my chest.
Anyway, I'm off to give The Valley of Gwangi another spin.
Old 02-05-2007, 21:39   #53
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livius View Post
TBH, the more I think of it I can't abide the motives behind such lists. It just smells of some guys setting themselves up as the "Good Taste Police" and compiling a list against which we are all supposed to compare ourselves and be informed about what is good for us. Well, I've never given one particular damn what anyone thought was good for me - I figure I'm capable of deciding such things for myself.
Hear hear Livius...

Last edited by John Hodson; 02-05-2007 at 22:46.
John Hodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 23:33   #54
Guest 25476
Person A Non Grata

Quote:
Agreed. Personally, I'm no great musicals fan but I could sit through hundreds with a big smile on my face for the simple reason that they offer some entertainment. That's a good deal more than I can say for some of the snorefests represented on that original list. Just hearing the names Bergman and Rossellini is enough to bring me out in a cold sweat.

Sorry, I'm not normally given to rants - but I just needed to get that off my chest.
Seconded. I can't abide lists of any kind and try to avoid making them whenever possible (although the Forums often taunt me to compile them and I rarely resist).

Another thing I cannot abide is that nobody is questioning these so-called important films any more. It seems that since generations of critics have decreed that The Godfather is a better film than The Conversation or that Nashville is better than The Long Goodbye or that Citizen 'Soulless' Kane is better than about a thousand films made by various other directors then every list seems to shove out the usual suspects (but not The Usual Suspects, unless it's Empire) for public inspection and nobody bats a bloody eyelid.

It's as if film criticism has become an immobile, stagnant pond of thought that is only concerned with its own large tepid mass than listening to any minor ripples of dissent.

Sure, there are some fabulous films there (I should know, I've seen most of them and own most of them) but I'm sure there are a hell of a lot of better ones not there.

Makes me want to go and make a big, fat list.
Guest 25476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 06:17   #55
Guest 155
Trusted User

Quote:

Horses for courses for sensibilities. Sometimes I'm in a mood for Bergman and Rossellini-style introspection (Persona would be on any top 100 list I'd compile and so would Voyage to Italy, which knocked me out when I saw it). Sometimes I'm in a mood for Singin' in the Rain.

Portrait of Jennie I'd go with. Oklahoma is not a favourite of mine, though I enjoyed it when I saw it (in 70mm at the National Film Theatre). I, er, haven't seen Going My Way. Isn't The Constant Nymph legally unavailable?

On the other hand, I've been watching European films (especially French ones) since 1981 and Australian/New Zealander ones for about the same length of time. If anything, outside many but not all of the obvious classics, I've discovered sudio-era Hollywood more in recent years courtesy of DVD. Television showings were great for catching up with things you hadn't seen - far less so nowadays then twenty years ago in the UK, but that's a whole different thread - but you could list pages of some quite notable films that I've never had a chance to see before their DVD release. (A good example is the Forbidden Hollywood boxset I reviewed recently - of the 1931 Waterloo Bridge, Red-Headed Woman and Baby Face, only the middle one has apparently been shown on British television, and I hadn't seen it before.)

Ultimately I'd take a list like this as recommendations rather than a taste determinator. Of the 84 I've seen many I love, some have had quite profound effects on me, others I'm less enamoured with. I don't think any of them are actually bad, just in some cases not to my taste. And some of them I saw so long ago I don't remember them very well. I do hope to see some of the remaining sixteen in due course - they include some of the works of someone I'd not really got along with in the past, namely Chaplin. Maybe I'll be converted, maybe not. We'll see.
Guest 155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 07:34   #56
Guest 45586
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan George View Post
Only 38! My problem is that I have such terrible taste.
If there was more films like: In Like Flint/The Long Ships/Taras Bulba/The pure Hell Of St Trinian's in the list, then the number would be much higher.
Taras Bulba! Now you are turking talkie, yes? That's a real motion picture. Has been on my mind for a month now because, Mr George, I was recently in Salta, Argentina, and my guide and driver took me to a "castle" for dinner and boasted that Taras Bulba was shot there. I really perked up then. Unlike them I had actually seen the movie (Odeon Haymarket) and the rest of my trip across the Andean high desert was one long Ride to Dubno, with Waxman coursing through my veins. I'd willingly exchange this toshtooshka for any number of Dreyers, Tarkovskys, Vertovs et al.
Guest 45586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 07:47   #57
charlie angel
Trusted Schmoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Couzens View Post
Ultimately I'd take a list like this as recommendations rather than a taste determinator.
Precisely. I'm always on the lookout to expand my classic film viewing & I don't see lists like this as any different to taking recommendations from this forum - they're just opinions, & not necessarily ones I'll agree with.
charlie angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 08:38   #58
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Couzens View Post
Horses for courses for sensibilities. Sometimes I'm in a mood for Bergman and Rossellini-style introspection (Persona would be on any top 100 list I'd compile and so would Voyage to Italy, which knocked me out when I saw it). Sometimes I'm in a mood for Singin' in the Rain...
And hear hear, er, here too. There's absolutely nothing wrong with lists as long as they are not used as sticks to beat anyone over the head with, or as a measure of supposed intellectual superiority. We don't do that here, thank God.
John Hodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 09:42   #59
gZa
Trusted User

I've seen 50 of them.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:17   #60
Guest 56823
Trusted User

*titter*
Guest 56823 is offline   Reply With Quote