Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > DVD and Blu-ray Discussion

Old 21-08-2006, 23:57   #21
Guest 2969
Gold Trader

Well I'm very familiar with the colours of the old DVD, having rewatched it numerous times since 1998 on a variety of displays. The colours of the print at the NFT were close enough to that 'reference' that I didn't even question it. I guess it's possible I was so impressed by the sheer magnificence of the image that I didn't notice the different colours but I doubt it.

There must be other people out there who have seen this print on the big screen. Were there any public screenings of The Searchers in the States to coincide with the release of the new DVD?
Guest 2969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2006, 00:32   #22
Guest 49777
Trusted User

The overall color of the old DVD was as poor as the registration, contrast and shadow detail. The skies were blue, however. And it was the blue skies that damaged the rest of the color in the film. The facial tones had gone blue.

I'm not saying that the new DVD is correct. What I am saying is that a print at an NFT screening (wherever that print may have come from) is not reference, nor is the old DVD.
Guest 49777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2006, 01:26   #23
Richie
Trusted User

It would be simple enough to find out where the NFT sourced their print if anyone can be arsed!

This interview was very interesting and thank you Mr Harris for doing it.
I don't really have an opinion as to what is "correct" but from what I've seen during this ongoing mass-debate I have to say that I really have no problem with how the new dvd looks but I am willing to appreciate that it is not 100% as necessarily "intended".

A little OT (although still related to Warners' dvds and colour issues) but how come this film creates such debate yet the tinkered with re-master of 'The Matrix' is accepted as being "as intended" by just about everyone despite it no longer being representative of the film as originally seen in 1999?

haineshisway,
Would there be any chance of you being able to reproduce relevant sections of your 1991 DGA magazine interview for us?
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2006, 03:52   #24
Guest 53019
Trusted User

Yes, I'd like to very much - but my copy of the mag is in storage. A friend and fellow contributor to the DGA mag is trying to find me a copy and if he has it, then I'll scan in the entire interview, which isn't that long, really, but very interesting.
Guest 53019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2006, 08:02   #25
Guest 57383
Trusted User

"Daddy," I said, "I just don't understand it."

"What don't you understsand, son?" he asked.

"Well, Mr Price said the Technicolor was Eastman Color and the interpositive was negative and the greyscale got broken and he couldn't weigh anything and..."

"Son, son, you have yourself all confused," he said. "It's so simple a child could understand it! What Mr Price is saying is that you had the right colour before, but that was wrong, see? Now you have the wrong colour, but it's right!"

"Oh, now I see!" I said, skipping away singing a Ford song, "I'll take you home again, Kathleen, to where the fields are fresh and green...and the sky and..."

Last edited by Frank Maher; 22-08-2006 at 09:58.
Guest 57383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2006, 08:11   #26
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Harris
The overall color of the old DVD was as poor as the registration, contrast and shadow detail. The skies were blue, however. And it was the blue skies that damaged the rest of the color in the film. The facial tones had gone blue.
Hmmm; quite agree. Again, I can't recall, but when it was first issued, how was it received (I know how I received it - I was thrilled. But then, I was just happy to have it, and I know nothing)? Anyone note this? Did anyone rail against the cropping of the picture? The problems seem obvious now (and indeed became more obvious with the passing of time), but back then...

Last edited by John Hodson; 22-08-2006 at 08:15.
John Hodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2006, 09:07   #27
Guest 50820
Dippy & dizzy

Yes, the new Dvd is too Yellow, but the old Dvd was too blue.
If you look at the beaver comparison pictures, interior woman with blue/grey dress, I think it is unlikely that the dress was the blue from the original print. Much more likely to be greyer. On the exterior "woman in buggy" shot, the womans' face is clearly too yellow on the new print.

Maybe they could have chosen someone who knows how to colour balance correctly to do this film.

I see DvdPacific have this on HD-DVD, is it any good in HD?

Last edited by pjclark1; 22-08-2006 at 09:15.
Guest 50820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2006, 09:25   #28
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

The only reference I've seen to it was by Johannes S (who is a member here) at the HTF:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johannes S
Today I received the HD-DVD of "The Searchers". Same color scheme with the yellowish tint, but:

The picture is absolutely incredible! It is unbelievable how much detail there is with wonderful film grain and real "film look".

This is a must-own release in High Definition, even if you don't agree with the color. For me, this is the best HD release so far!
Old 22-08-2006, 11:18   #29
Guest 2969
Gold Trader

Quote:
What I am saying is that a print at an NFT screening (wherever that print may have come from) is not reference, nor is the old DVD.
It wasn't just any old print though, according to NFT it was a print of the new restoration and Mr Price was originally scheduled to introduce the screening and talk about the restoration process.
Old 22-08-2006, 11:38   #30
Guest 49777
Trusted User

Per Mr. Maher's quite humourous father / son conversation, I'll be quite happy to explain anything that didn't come across from technicalize. The discussion was not meant to be cryptic, but quite honestly, my technical discussions have been described as a boon to the sleep deprived.

RAH
Old 22-08-2006, 11:47   #31
Richie
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry
It wasn't just any old print though, according to NFT it was a print of the new restoration and Mr Price was originally scheduled to introduce the screening and talk about the restoration process.
Ooh the plot thickens!
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2006, 12:09   #32
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry
Well I'm very familiar with the colours of the old DVD, having rewatched it numerous times since 1998 on a variety of displays. The colours of the print at the NFT were close enough to that 'reference' that I didn't even question it. I guess it's possible I was so impressed by the sheer magnificence of the image that I didn't notice the different colours but I doubt it.
Henry; you say you're getting the HD version. I'd be tremendously interested in your comments once you've seen the new transfer.
Old 22-08-2006, 14:31   #33
Guest 56951
Jerry Goldwater

The Searchers Is Not Sharp

I am surprised at the negative comments about the color on the new DVD ; It seems acceptable to me , what saddens this viewer is the rather unsharp picture presented . It is still worth getting , the story has great impact and the acting is generally worthy of the characters complexity .

Last edited by Jerry Goldwater; 22-08-2006 at 14:32.
Guest 56951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2006, 14:50   #34
Guest 57383
Trusted User

"The Searchers Is Not Sharp"

Thank you, Jerry. I thought I was the only one that thought that!
Old 22-08-2006, 15:06   #35
Guest 2969
Gold Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hodson
Henry; you say you're getting the HD version. I'd be tremendously interested in your comments once you've seen the new transfer.
Hopefully I'll receive it this week and I will let you all know what I think as soon as I've seen it. I've very high expectations based on the few HD vs SD comparisons I've done so far with Enter the Dragon, Blazing Saddles and Unforgiven. In all cases the HD transfers look MUCH better than the already excellent DVDs. When I say better I mean sharper, a lot more detail especially in the backgrounds giving the image more depth (as it should be), no edge enhancement whatsoever or MPEG compression artefacts. HD brings us much closer to what film looks like and that's gotta be a good thing.

Last edited by Henry; 22-08-2006 at 15:09.
Old 22-08-2006, 15:21   #36
Guest 57383
Trusted User

From RAH's post:
"I'll be quite happy to explain anything that didn't come across from technicalize."

Many thanks for the offer, Mr Harris, but I've fairly well gotten the gist of it at this stage. Life is too short to put you to the trouble of a blow-by-blow account!
Old 22-08-2006, 21:19   #37
Guest 49777
Trusted User

To Henry...

It is confirmed that the "print" screened at the NFT, was not a print.

It was a clone of the D5 used for the HD-DVD, with a look up table (LUT) applied
to it for Digital Cinema color space, which should match the HD-DVD 100%.

RAH
Old 22-08-2006, 23:56   #38
Guest 2969
Gold Trader

Quote:
To Henry...

It is confirmed that the "print" screened at the NFT, was not a print.

It was a clone of the D5 used for the HD-DVD, with a look up table (LUT) applied
to it for Digital Cinema color space, which should match the HD-DVD 100%.

RAH
Thanks Robert. If that's the case I really have something to look forward to. I loved what I saw and didn't have a problem with the colours at all.

Last edited by Henry; 22-08-2006 at 23:57.
Old 23-08-2006, 03:31   #39
Guest 53019
Trusted User

If it's what they showed at the Academy, you should have PLENTY of problems with the colors. Sorry, I couldn't help it, but it's twoo, it's twoo.
Guest 53019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2006, 15:18   #40
Guest 2969
Gold Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by haineshisway
If it's what they showed at the Academy, you should have PLENTY of problems with the colors. Sorry, I couldn't help it, but it's twoo, it's twoo.
Luckily for me the colours didn't bother me at all, in fact I thought they were great. The screening at the NFT took place just before the controvesy surrounding the new transfer started, so I wasn't scrutinising the colours. I'll take a good look at my HD disc when it arrives in a few days time. Can't wait!