Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 27-12-2005, 15:58   #1
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Happy Anniversary - Classic Tie-in Releases for 2006...

The thread idea has been borrowed from the HTF, but it might be fun to discuss here. Studios - and particularly their marketing men - love a good anniversary tie-in to help push their DVD sales. This year was no exception with the Garbo centenary, Gallipoli, Blues Brothers 25th anniversaries and Jaws 30th and more.

So what can we expect in 2006? And what would you like to see? Warners have already threatened 50th Anniversary releases of The Searchers and Forbidden Planet. It's 65 years since the theatrical release of The Maltese Falcon and Sergeant York, fully 60 years since It's a Wonderful Life was released, June sees the centenary of the birth of Billy Wilder, August John Huston. What releases could they build around the centenary of Franz Waxman or Lew Grade?

What anniversary classic releases are you hoping for in 2006?
John Hodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2005, 17:56   #2
Guest 52145
Big Damn Hero

Generally speaking, I think the whole "anniversary edition" trend is just stupid - do the studios really think we're more likely to buy a DVD if it's splashed with "37th-and-one-quarter anniversary edition"? But that said, I'd love (not that I expect) to see ...

Sergeant York 65th
Ball of Fire 65th
The Thing from Another World 55th SE (with sufficient improvements to warrant the double-dip, obviously)
and since Paramount seem so keen on SEs in 06 (Stalag 17, Breakfast at Tiffany's, etc.), I'd be first in line for an El Dorado 40th SE.
... and having got Hawks out of my system:

I really hope that Body Heat 25th SE is on the way as mentioned in the Warner / HTF chat thread,
It's also Quo Vadis and The African Queen's 55th, and with both yet to debut on DVD ... a chance, perhaps?
and I almost forgot - one of my all-time favourite movies, The Omen, is 30 next year. Super-duper, bells and whistles SCE, please, Fox - even if the current disc is pretty good. I'll happily manage without new (or any!) releases of the sequels, however.
And on the subject of the great Mr Peck, a 40th Anniversary release (about time, too!) for the fluffy yet fun Arabesque would be nice.

Last edited by jackal; 27-12-2005 at 18:16.
Guest 52145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2005, 18:19   #3
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackal
It's also Quo Vadis and The African Queen's 55th, and with both yet to debut on DVD ... a chance, perhaps?
No African Queen in R1 of course, but in R2: African Queen 50th Anniversary Edition
John Hodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2005, 18:26   #4
Guest 52145
Big Damn Hero

1. How did that pass me by?

2. Wa-hay!

3. Just browsing the sister thread on the HTF and a 50th Ann. Invasion of the Body Snatchers SE was raised, which would get my whole-hearted vote.

EDIT:
4. The African Queen is only Ł5.97 at Amazon.co.uk. Thinking about why I missed this, I had it in my mind it was only available in crummy PD versions, for some reason.

Last edited by jackal; 27-12-2005 at 19:07.
Guest 52145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2005, 19:48   #5
Guest 33812
Trusted User

Another vote here for Invasion of the Body Snatchers, but the '78 version. Don't want much, just an anamorphic transfer would do.

Poltergeist must be due a SE/Anniversary Edition soon?

Southern Comfort. Nowt wrong with the transfer on the R1, but a Walter Hill commentary and maybe a few other bits and pieces would be more than welcome.

Fright Night. Outside this forums remit, but it's over 20 years old now, so sue me. I've gotta give it a mention just in case some suit at Sony stumbles upon it and thinks oooh, that's a good idea.

Psst! The African Queen SE for a kerrazy price. God bless the January Sales.

Last edited by cure; 27-12-2005 at 19:50.
Guest 33812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2005, 19:49   #6
Guest 29
Last Of The Independents

It would be very nice to see a 30th Anniversary release of "Taxi Driver" with either the Criterion Scorsese commentary added or a new one recorded.

Perhaps we could finally get the most complete possible version of Bertoluuci's "Novocento" released and it's 36 years since "The Conformist" - not much of an anniversary but it's about time Paramount got their finger out.

Out of our remit but I'd really love to see a 25th Anniversary Edition of Warren Beatty's "Reds" - preferably with all those witnesses named and thus given back their identity. I can spot Henry Miller but that's about it.
Guest 29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2005, 22:05   #7
Guest 29
Last Of The Independents

Also:

How about Clint breaking his silence and giving us a commentary track on a 30th Anniversary "Outlaw Josey Wales" ?

It's 35 years since "Klute" so an SE would go down very nicely.
Guest 29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2005, 13:12   #8
Guest 53667
Trusted User

A 60th anniversary SE of The Best Years of Our Lives would be nice--and a 40th anniversary SE of A Man for All Seasons.
Guest 53667 is offline   Reply With Quote