Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 10-10-2005, 09:35   #1
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Let's Go...Warners 'Sam Peckinpah's Legendary Westerns Collection'

I'm giving this collection it's own thread; looks like an outstanding and important set that really does deserve it!

From Digitally Obsessed, the official press release:

"One of the great masters of the American Cinema." - Martin Scorsese

Sam Peckinpah Legendary Westerns Collection January 10 from Warner Home Video

* The Wild Bunch Newly Remastered Two-Disc Special Edition

Three New-To-DVD Titles
* Pat Garrett and Billy The Kid Two-Disc Special Edition
* The Ballad of Cable Hogue
* Ride The High Country

Collection Arrives Fully Loaded with Powerful New Commentaries and Featurettes

Pat Garrett Featuring The Acting Debut of Musical Legend Bob Dylan
Includes 1988 Turner Preview Version and New 2005 Version Based on Director's Notes and Insights of Colleagues

Burbank, Calif. October 10, 2005 - On January 10, 2006, Warner Home Video will debut Sam Peckinpah's Legendary Westerns Collection featuring four of the Academy Award®-nominated director's celebrated westerns. The Collection includes a newly- remastered Two-Disc Special Edition of The Wild Bunch with all-new special features, and three new-to-DVD films: Pat Garrett and Billy The Kid Two-Disc Special Edition - which offers both the 1988 Turner Preview version of the film and a newly-edited 2005 version based on the director's notes and insights from his colleagues. It also features the acting debut of musical legend Bob Dylan, who also composed the film's score. Also included in the Collection are The Ballad of Cable Hogue and Ride The High Country.

Featuring William Holden, Ernest Borgnine, Kris Kristofferson, Bob Dylan and Jason Robards, the Collection will sell for $59.92 SRP. The Wild Bunch Two-Disc Special Edition and Pat Garrett and Billy The Kid Two Disc Special Edition will be available individually for $26.99 SRP while The Ballad of Cable Hogue and Ride The High Country will be available for $19.97 SRP each. Orders are due December 6.

Born on February 25, 1925 in Fresno, California, Peckinpah began working in the film industry as a protégé to action-movie director Don Siegel, often working uncredited on scripts and even acting. In the late 1950s, Peckinpah became a scriptwriter for the classic TV westerns "Gunsmoke" and "The Rifleman" and in 1960 he created, directed and produced the critically acclaimed western series "The Westerner." Called "The ultimate 60's director," by the New York Times, Peckinpah received critical acclaim for his second feature film Ride The High Country, which exemplified his abiding interest in the themes of friendship, trust, honor, betrayal and aging. Peckinpah went on to direct William Holden and Ernest Borgnine in the 1969 film The Wild Bunch, which earned him his first and only Academy-Award nomination.

The Wild Bunch 2-Disc Special Edition
By any standard, director Sam Peckinpah's film The Wild Bunch, a powerful tale of hangdog desperados bound by a code of honor, rates as one of the all-time greatest Westerns. In 1994 it was restored to a complete, pristine condition unseen since its July 1969 theatrical debut - and this digitally remastered anamorphic transfer showcases it to renewed blood-and-thunder effect. William Holden, Ernest Borgnine, Robert Ryan, Edmond O'Brien and Ben Johnson star.

Special Features Disc 1:
* Commentary by Peckinpah biographers/documentarians Nick Redman, Paul Seydor, Garner Simmons and David Weddle
* New digital transfer (16x9 2.35:1)
* Peckinpah trailer gallery
* Languages: English and French
* Subtitles: English, French and Spanish

Special Features Disc 2:
* Never-before-seen The Wild Bunch outtakes
* Additional scenes
* 3 documentaries
Sam Peckinpah's West: Legacy of a Hollywood Renegade -
A feature-length biography of the legendary director, featuring rare film clips, interviews with family and colleagues, and narration by Kris Kristofferson.
1996 Oscar Nominee The Wild Bunch: An Album in Montage
A Simple Adventure Story: Sam Peckinpah, Mexico and The Wild Bunch

Pat Garrett and Billy The Kid Two Disc Special Edition
They are fast friends and worse foes. One is Billy the Kid (Kris Kristofferson), a law unto himself. The other is the law: Sheriff Pat Garrett (James Coburn), who once rode with Billy. Set to a bristling score by Bob Dylan (who also plays Billy's sidekick Alias) and with a 'Who's Who' of iconic Western players, Sam Peckinpah's saga of one of the West's great legends is now restored to its intended glory. For the first time since it left the cutting room, the film has the balance of action and character development Peckinpah wanted, a mix of fury and elegy based on the director's notes and the insights of colleagues.

Special Features Disc 1: 2005 Special Edition: (115 Mins.)
* Commentary by Special Edition Producer Nick Redman, Supervising Editor Paul Seydor and fellow Peckinpah biographers/documentarians Garner Simmons and David Weddle
* Subtitles: English, French and Spanish (Feature Films Only)

Special Features Disc 2: 1988 Turner Preview Version: (122 Mins.)
* Commentary by Nick Redman, Paul Seydor, Garner Simmons and David Weddle
* 2 new featurettes:
One Foot in the Groove: Remembering Sam Peckinpah and Other Things
Deconstructing Pat and Billy
* One for the Money: Sam's Song
* Subtitles: English, French and Spanish (Feature Films Only)

The Ballad of Cable Hogue:
After the violence of The Wild Bunch, director Sam Peckinpah shifted moods with this memorable fable -- less a tale of revenge than it is a lyrical, touching tribute to the last days of the West's pioneering spirit. Jason Robards, Stella Stevens and David Warner lead an excellent supporting cast that also includes L.Q. Jones and Strother Martin as Hogue's old enemies.

Special Features:
* Commentary by Peckinpah biographers/documentarians Nick Redman, Paul Seydor, Garner Simmons and David Weddle
* New featurette: The Ladiest Damn'd Lady with Stella Stevens
* Peckinpah Trailer Gallery
* Languages: English and Spanish

Ride The High Country:
Cowboy icons Randolph Scott and Joel McCrea find roles to match their leathery Western personas, playing aging lawmen hired to guard a gold shipment. They don't have much: a horse each, a couple of dollars. And they have everything: their independence. But the frontier is disappearing - and so is space wide open enough for independent men. With luck, the two will find space enough for this ride and one last payday. Mariette Hartley and Warren Oates are featured.

Special Features:
* Commentary by Peckinpah documentarians Nick Redman, Paul Seydor, Garner Simmons and David Weddle
* New documentary: A Justified Life: Sam Peckinpah and the Hogue Country

Sam Peckinpah's Legendary Westerns Collection
Street Date: 1/10/06
Order Date: 12/6/05
$59.92 SRP

The Wild Bunch 2-Disc Special Edition
Catalog #: 33728
Rating: R
Run Time: 145 Minutes
$26.99 SRP

Pat Garrett and Billy The Kid 2-Disc Special Edition
Catalog #: 65165
Run Time: 237 Minutes total for SE Version and Turner Preview Version
$26.99 SRP

The Ballad of Cable Hogue
Catalog #: 37729
Run Time: 121 Minutes
$19.97 SRP

Ride The High Country
Catalog #: 66907
Rating: NR
Run Time: 94 Minutes
$19.97 SRP

Last edited by John Hodson; 18-07-2007 at 13:13.
John Hodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 09:44   #2
Guest 243
XBL: Wolfgang Winkle

At blimmin' last - a decent release for The Wild Bunch. Not a bad price for the set either.
Guest 243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 11:08   #3
Guest 33861
Trusted User

Excellent news - can't wait for it.

Anyone know if the "Pat Garrett..." restored version has been screened anywhere - or is it being kept under wraps for this DVD release?
Guest 33861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 11:12   #4
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

AFAIK there have been no screenings of this new 2005 version; in view of the fact that they've already been touting that it will contain new scenes, I'm fascinated to see what they've taken out - seven minutes is alot of screen time.
Old 10-10-2005, 14:39   #5
charlie angel
Trusted Schmoozer

For once a double-dip is positively welcome; it feels like an age ago that I bought the current Wild Bunch release & it's served me well, but I'm frothing at the mouth over this set - it sounds amazing.
charlie angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 15:04   #6
Guest 45073
Trusted User

Do we know yet what packaging all this comes in? Terrific news and not too long to wait either.
Guest 45073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 15:07   #7
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick de carteret
Do we know yet what packaging all this comes in? Terrific news and not too long to wait either.
Not yet; but I'd be amazed if it's other than four Amaray style boxes in a (slightly flimsy) cardboard holder - that's Warners usual style for sets like this.
Old 10-10-2005, 15:13   #8
Guest 925
Xbox Tag: mondoben

If i only could buy one DVD set in the next year it would be this one.

(Although that's not very likely - looks at credit-card statement and cries)
Guest 925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 16:12   #9
Guest 29
Last Of The Independents

Marvellous news - all the discs sound irresistible.

Minor, minor gripe - I'd have liked a 3 disc set for PG&BTK to include the butchered version released by MGM in 1973, if only for historical interest. It's considerably different to the 1988 "restoration" and, in some scenes, interestingly so. However, since that's the only even mildly negative thing I can find to say about this set, I won't complain too much.
Guest 29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 16:28   #10
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Hmmm; I know what you mean - it was the same with The Big Red One, but as you say, seems slightly churlish to moan.

The DVD Times confirmation is here; no artwork yet, no doubt that will be added later.

BTW hands-up those that knew David Weddle, author of If They Move...Kill 'Em and part of the Peckinpah posse, was story editor on Star Trek: DS9. I only joined the dots today...

Last edited by John Hodson; 10-10-2005 at 16:32.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:30   #11
Guest 20854
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hodson

BTW hands-up those that knew David Weddle, author of If They Move...Kill 'Em and part of the Peckinpah posse, was story editor on Star Trek: DS9. I only joined the dots today...
He's a writer on Battlestar Galactica these days as well. So that's the same bloke is it? It's a great book.

ph
Guest 20854 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 12:00   #12
Summerisle
Trusted User

Have to confess "Pat Garrett..." does absolutely nothing for me; but the other three are most welcome especially a restored version of The Wild Bunch at bloody (no pun intended) last!
Summerisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 07:43   #13
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerisle
Have to confess "Pat Garrett..." does absolutely nothing for me
The 1988 cut just blows me away; maybe this new cut will be the one to do it for you Summerisle? I'm certainly looking forward to it!
Old 12-10-2005, 09:45   #14
Guest 29
Last Of The Independents

I'm beginning to think that "Pat Garrett" is my favourite Peckinpah. I always thought it was "the Wild Bunch" but I watch the former much more frequently than the latter.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:48   #15
gZa
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
I'm beginning to think that "Pat Garrett" is my favourite Peckinpah. I always thought it was "the Wild Bunch" but I watch the former much more frequently than the latter.
Well I've watched Enter the Dragon thrice as many times as The Way Of The Dragon but I think 'Way' a better film. If the amount of times I've seen a movie was a key to my favorite then my favorite Peckinpah would be The Getaway.

Last edited by gZa; 12-10-2005 at 10:49.
gZa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 11:17   #16
anephric
Kidney Thief

...conversely, I've watched Cross of Iron (*Peckinpah purists scoff*) more than any other Sam flick, and it's always been my fave. I've watched it the most because it's my fave.
anephric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 11:48   #17
Guest 8506
Trusted User

Same for me with Cross of Iron, actually, or maybe a close second to The Wild Bunch. I love the ending even if it is some kind of an abrupt bodge.

I would have watched Pat Garrett a lot more I think if every time it appeared on TCM it wasn't some awful, blurred, non-anamorphic mess.

Roll on 2006.
Guest 8506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 11:54   #18
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by anephric
...conversely, I've watched Cross of Iron (*Peckinpah purists scoff*) more than any other Sam flick, and it's always been my fave. I've watched it the most because it's my fave.
I'm not a purist (what's one of them then? ) and I don't scoff; 'Garratt' and CoI are not just great Sam Peckinpah films, but great James Coburn movies. He is just blisteringly good in both. I'm haunted by Pat Garratt shooting himself in the mirror and the look of terror in Coburn's eyes - just brilliant stuff.

Wonder if those missing seven minutes will include Sam's own cameo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cons
I love the ending even if it is some kind of an abrupt bodge.
Ohhh, d'you think so? I think it's a magnificent piece of thinking on your feet and fits the film perfectly.

Last edited by John Hodson; 12-10-2005 at 11:55.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:04   #19
Guest 29
Last Of The Independents

If you scoff at "Cross of Iron" then you're not a Peckinpah purist. Come to think of it, I don't think you can be a Peckinpah fan and not like "Cross of Iron". And the ending is wonderful.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:06   #20
charlie angel
Trusted Schmoozer

Time for me to come out of the Peckinpah closet...

I've never seen Cross Of Iron. Is there a decent release around?
charlie angel is offline   Reply With Quote