Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 16-09-2006, 11:36   #21
Guest 52145
Big Damn Hero

I don't *think* it's been confirmed anywhere. I was just going by the specs on DVD Times - same extras, no mention of a "new"/"remastered" transfer, etc. Doesn't look promising.

Last edited by jackal; 16-09-2006 at 11:37.
Guest 52145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2006, 11:43   #22
Spectre07
Trusted User

Okey dokey.
Spectre07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2006, 12:35   #23
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

While we're feeling Capra-esque, a word about Universal's new release of State of The Union; wow.

Okay, then more than word - it's one of the best transfers of a black and white film I've seen recently. Detailed, clean as a whistle, and quite, quite beautiful. And if IAWL exposes what does actually go on in small town America (if George Bailey had never been born, of course), then Capra's film of the Russel Crouse play takes a sledgehammer to the cesspool world of politics, 'Capra-esque' happy ending or no.
John Hodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2006, 12:02   #24
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackal
I don't *think* it's been confirmed anywhere. I was just going by the specs on DVD Times - same extras, no mention of a "new"/"remastered" transfer, etc. Doesn't look promising.
Well it's a slightly better transfer according to The Beaver, exact same extras as the Artisan disc; not enough there to make this punter go again.
Old 26-10-2006, 16:13   #25
Guest 53019
Trusted User

From those captures (which I know may not be an accurate way to judge), it does not look like a better transfer - just a darker transfer. The Republic DVD looked great, if memory serves (and it does, at least from the captures) - maybe the Paramount has less digital whatever, but the Republic DVD does not need to be denigrated. I'll still pick up the Paramount to judge for myself. Having personally run the 35mm nitrate LOC print, the Republic DVD looked very close to the lusciousness of that - for DVD, that is.
Guest 53019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2006, 16:04   #26
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Pointed out at the HTF, this is from the DVD Talk review:

There is one error on the disc, about seven minutes in when young George is working in the drugstore. In that scene, there is a rather loud pop and a quick fluctuation of the volume. I backed my DVD up and ran it a second time, just to see if it was a one-time anomaly, and sure enough, it was in the manufacturing. I've read a report from at least one other user that had the same problem, so it appears to be a glitch across the run. (He also noted three other instances of a similar audio quirk, but I didn't experience them on mine.)

...and this is from an Amazon reviewer:

First, the good news; yes, the newest edition of this Yule tide classic has been given an amazing restoration, and nicely blows the socks off of the older Republic DVD.

I've never seen this, or pretty much any picture for that matter, look so crisp and clean, with no dust specs, scratches or artefacts to be had at all.

But, unfortunately, the amazing picture quality comes with a rather annoying price, as there are 4 very loud audio pops, to be heard coming from the left hand speaker, through out the picture at the:

1. 7 minutes and 43 second mark
2. 57 minute and 9 second mark
3. 1 hour, 24 minutes and 46 second mark
4. 1 hour, 31 minutes and 43 second mark

NOTE: (This may very a second or two either way, depending on the accuracy of your DVD player's counter, and also may not be as noticeable when played through your TV speakers alone, as I was listening to the sound through a 2 channel stereo speaker set up)

I tried another copy but it too had the audio pops, so it's the DVD master and not just a bad disc.

I also checked out the same spot on the old Republic DVD where the first audio pop occurs, but there's no audio pop or problem of any kind in, or around, that area.
Old 20-11-2006, 12:49   #27
Guest 57383
Trusted User

Just got my copy this morning from Deep Discount and I'm glad to report I don't hear any sound faults. I've checked the places mentioned a few times.

It really is a lovely print, by the way.
Guest 57383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2006, 17:02   #28
Guest 2922
Trusted User

My copy also arrived today. I'll check for any sound faults later on tonight and report back.
Guest 2922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2006, 19:26   #29
Guest 2922
Trusted User

Okay, I've just checked It's A Wonderful Life and can report that I noticed the first three of the four sound clicks that are mentioned above, but - BUT - I must stress that I think the reviewers greatly exaggerate the loudness of them.

1. - (7 mins 38 sec on my player) is barely audible, I had to turn the volume way up to really notice it!

2. - 57 mins 9 sec...same as No 1 - barely audible.

3. - 1 hr 24 mins...this is a little louder, but still a very quiet, very slight blip.

4. - 1 hr 31 mins...couldn't hear this one at all, even at raised volume.

So in no way would I describe these as "very loud audio pops". In fact if they hadn't been pointed out here, I doubt I would have noticed them at all.

I've no idea if they may play louder on other kit, but I can't see why they would. It all seems a little fuss over nothing.

And the transfer is fantastic.

Last edited by CrazyHorse; 20-11-2006 at 19:28.
Guest 2922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2006, 20:38   #30
Guest 52145
Big Damn Hero

Thanks for clearing that up, guys. Got this coming to me from DDD so I'm glad it's not a major thing.
Old 24-11-2006, 14:01   #31
Guest 52145
Big Damn Hero

The 60th Ann. DVD arrived today with a bunch of stuff from the DDD sale. I can only echo the previous comments about these 'audio pops' - they're very minor, barely audible and shouldn't put anyone off getting this gorgeous new release.
Old 25-11-2006, 13:52   #32
Guest 28750
What the BBFC Ban, I Buy

Ordered mine, only had it on VHS so it will be an improvement
Guest 28750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 19:45   #33
jroadley
Trusted User

Hang your head in shame... a colour version of this classic has been released.

Beav do the needful
Old 05-11-2007, 20:04   #34
Guest 28750
What the BBFC Ban, I Buy

Thats pretty annoying, but alas i shall buy it, thanks for the heads up
Old 05-11-2007, 20:22   #35
Guest 57579
Tennessee Stud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilbones View Post
Thats pretty annoying, but alas i shall buy it, thanks for the heads up
Why? The 60th Anniversary release from last year apparently has the exact same content and transfer but without the colorization and retails for $5 cheaper. If this new edition sells well, studios will think consumers want colorized films.
Guest 57579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 20:34   #36
Spooksta
Mr Honest

That is terrible. Laurel and Hardy was bad enough
Spooksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 20:46   #37
Guest 47807
Trusted User

Looking at the Beaver comparison, I had no idea that the R2 version was so bad - and my version is the original one with one of those awful large jewel cases. I must quickly upgrade to the R1 version!
Guest 47807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 22:17   #38
Guest 59796
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooksta View Post
That is terrible. Laurel and Hardy was bad enough
Colorisation should not be written off that easily these days.

The Laurel and Hardy colour versions included on the R2 box set are the same dire presentations that were released on VHS in the 80's.

The Its A Wonderful Life color version released in the 80's was of the same appalling quality.

However ,colorisation technology has come a long way.

Bewitched seasons 1 and 2 now look as if they were made in color.

The recent release of Harryhausens 20 Million Miles To Earth was also superb quality.

Ideally releases will continue in the same vein giving buyers the choice to see B&W or colour in the same package but there's no doubt that there are many who wont watch B&W material and if the colorisation allows it to be shown more on tv then its good.

And comparing the L&H color versions to the current stuff is way off.

While I prefer to watch the original version there's no need to write off the color versions because of the poor quality -simply because they're not poor quality anymore.

Having said that - I've not see the current IAWL color version so I dont know if its the 80's abomination or a new modern version

Last edited by davidanders; 05-11-2007 at 22:19.
Guest 59796 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 23:30   #39
Livius
Is it far?

Thumbs down

When it comes to colorization, I don't give a damn if it's high quality or low quality. The very process is an abomination that should draw the wrath of any self-respecting movie fan.
To think that the crayoning in of B/W movies will introduce these pictures to a wider audience is nothing short of a delusion. Those who dismiss or refuse to watch a film because it is B/W are generally using this as a convenient excuse - the truth is that their objection is to watching old movies; colorized images won't convert them .

If a movie was shot on B/W stock then that's how it should be presented - period.
Livius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 23:44   #40
Guest 28750
What the BBFC Ban, I Buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydefro View Post
Why? The 60th Anniversary release from last year apparently has the exact same content and transfer but without the colorization and retails for $5 cheaper. If this new edition sells well, studios will think consumers want colorized films.
Well i do, its the best of both worlds. Infact i have pre ordered it from Amazon sorry just cant wait to see the snowy street in colour