Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 22-11-2004, 10:49   #21
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Having just received it this morning, I slipped Le Mans into the player and went straight to the crash sequence, which is beautifully done with jump cuts that Peckinpah would have been, ah, fairly pleased with.

And Welles sermon in John Huston's Moby Dick (also received today )

Last edited by John Hodson; 22-11-2004 at 19:47.
John Hodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2004, 08:28   #22
Guest 29329
Trusted User

Just watched again last night, so remebered another fave scene, this time from The Awful Truth...

The bit in the club where Ralph Bellamy is showing off his dance moves with Irene Dunn, with Cary Grant looking on. So funny I nearly fell off my chair...
Guest 29329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2004, 17:27   #23
Guest 24708
Banned

A few scenes at random: -

The jaw-dropping Carmen Miranda/Busby Berkeley dance routine, 'The Lady with the Tutti Frutti Hat', from The Gang's All Here (1943).

To Be or Not To Be (1942). - The scene where Jack Benny is confronted by his captors with the (dead) Nazi he's been impersonating.

Laurel & Hardy performing 'The Trail of the Lonesome Pine' from Way Out West (1937)

Duel In The Sun (1946) - The sight of Jennifer Jones and Gregory Peck shooting it out at the climax of King Vidor's wonderfully OTT western.

Rita Hayworth (absolutely oozing sex appeal) in her black satin outfit performing 'Put the Blame On Mame' - Gilda (1946) .

Umberto D (1952) - The scene where Umberto tries to kill his beloved dog but can't go through with it.

James Cagney, turning the tables on a murderous Humphrey Bogart, from the climax of The Roaring Twenties (1939).

White Heat (1949) - In prison, Cagney gets the news about his mother.

'It's, er, it's a member of the herring family' - Tony Curtis attempts to impress Marilyn Monroe in Some Like It Hot (1959).

Thief (1981) - The climactic Tangerine Dream-scored shootout between James Caan and the Mafia.

Wallace Wooley's disastrous wedding ceremony ('I love you truly!') from Rene Clair's delightful I Married A Witch (1942).

Gunga Din (1939) - The thrilling final battle, as Cary Grant, Victor McLagen and Douglas Fairbanks, Jr. go down against the bad guys and it falls to the courageous Gunga Din to save the day.

'Now we start!' - Clint oversees the showdown between Indio and Colonel Mortimer in For A Few Dollars More (1965)

The Dam Busters (1954) - The scene where the bomber crews spend a few precious moments relaxing on the grass before the words of Guy Gibson bring them to their feet, 'Well chaps, my watch says time to go', cue Eric Coates' magnificent score as the men make their way to their aircraft.

Oh, and any scenes featuring the delicious Marisa Mell from Danger: Diabolik (1967). Corrrrr...
Guest 24708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2004, 14:24   #24
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Claire de Lune and Chuck Yeager, pushing the envelope, from The Right Stuff - damn that's a fantastic, stirring, combination of scenarios; Yeager drifting into the edges of space, the fan dance, the bonding of the Mercury astronauts, Bill Conti's music...

Last edited by John Hodson; 18-12-2004 at 15:51.
Old 19-12-2004, 00:25   #25

Good thread !

Vertigo's Scottie following Madeline by car through San Francisco the first time, particularly through the graveyard and the museum: the soundtrack...

DeCaprio's Romeo returning to his three hour's wife after killing her cousin, rainsoaked (the commentary: "He looks good, wet."). And especially the post-coital, waking scene the next morning. Shakespeare was never more lazily sensual (thanks to Baz).

The bar scene in The Deer Hunter right before the first cut to Vietnam, with the look between DeNiro and Walken and John Cazale's brooding features.
Old 19-12-2004, 12:33   #26
DanWilde1966
I no longer post here.

The crofter scene in Hitch's The 39 Steps; the sequence in Manhunter in which Will Graham finally realises that the Tooth Fairy has seen the home movies; the Maryon Wilson Park sequence from Blow Up, in which Hemmings meets Redgrave; the opening chess sequence from Bergman's The Seventh Seal; the Russian roulette scene from The Deer Hunter; Al Pacino assassinating Sterling Hayden in The Godfather; the final (and deeply moving) reunion between John Wayne and Natalie Wood at the end of The Searchers, and the return to the homestead; The French Connection's chase; the introduction of Joel Cairo in The Maltese Falcon; countless scenes in Hitchcock and Kubrick; I could go on all day...
DanWilde1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 08:27   #27
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Because 'The Ecstacy of Gold' is going round and around in my head right now, it reminded me of this thread - any more 'Desert Island Classics' anyone?
Old 07-10-2005, 08:54   #28
Jazzatola
Orange Member

Lee J. Cobb's final breakdown in 12 Angry Men.
Old 07-10-2005, 11:40   #29
Guest 7300
Geeky and Loving it.

Most of my Favorite scenes have already been listed above. I might add

The scene from Clockwork orange when Malcolm McDowall is drinking his milk in the milk bar and the camera zooms in on his face with that strange synth music playing.

the Light organ scene from Close encounters.

The scar discussion scene from Jaws.

The scene (also in Jaws) where the camera pulls in on Roy Schneiders face when the young boy is attacked.

The Fisher King
Where Robin williams begins to regain his life and the "red knight" re-appears complete with flash back (I'm a soppy sod!)

and finally
The Scene from "The motorcycle diaries" where Che swims the river back to his friends.

an ecclectic mix I'm sure you'll agree
Guest 7300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 11:57   #30
Guest 41134

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hodson
Because 'The Ecstacy of Gold' is going round and around in my head right now, it reminded me of this thread - any more 'Desert Island Classics' anyone?
Its a amazing rush when its up on the big screen. You get a slight dizzy spell when (Tuco) Eli Wallach finally comes to a stop at the grave. Your eyes have to get use to this now static image of Tuco's money greedy moon face. Classic it is.

Last edited by JOEY PINEAPPLES; 08-10-2005 at 21:25.
Guest 41134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 20:20   #31
Guest 38684
Banned

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly - Eastwood, Van Cleef and Wallach in the cemetery (and Morricone's spine-tingling score to go with it)

Nothing else to say
Guest 38684 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 20:41   #32
SIMON ADEBISI

The entire length of The Outlaw Josey Wales. It was on in the pub last night. Only about 30 people in there. Mostly lads and everyone was glued to it. Nothing better than watching an old favourite with others who have never seen it before. I swear i saw someone tearing up during the Chiefs death scene.
SIMON ADEBISI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 22:17   #33
AndyWilson
--------old-geek

Joe E Brown and Jack Lemmon at the end of Some Like It Hot
The cold-bloodedness of Thora Hird armed with a knife in Went The Day Well
Pinkie and Rose's first "date" in Brighton Rock
Dr Zeus' speech in Planet of The Apes
The opening "suicide" of Harold and Maude
AndyWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 09:44   #34
Guest 52145
Big Damn Hero

Planet of the Apes for me, too, but it'd have to be Taylor's escape and foot chase round the town, culminating in: "Get your stinking paws off me, you damned dirty ape!" Classic stuff.
Bullitt - yes, the car chase.
Point Blank - Angie loses it completely, while Marvin just stands there like an oak till she wears herself out.
The Omen - Peck & Warner's nighttime trip to the graveyard. Creepy. As. Hell.
The Thin Man - Nick shooting Christmas tree decorations with his new popgun.
The Long Goodbye - Marty Augustine's little demo for Marlowe - "that's someone I love. You, I don't even like."
Night and the City - Gregorius the Great's return to the wrestling ring.
The Man Who Knew Too Much (either version) - Royal Albert Hall sequence.
Oh, and the one I can sit and watch endlessly: Stealing the Enterprise, Star Trek III: TSFS

Last edited by jackal; 06-02-2006 at 09:46.
Guest 52145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 10:00   #35
Guest 29329
Trusted User

Quote:
The Man Who Knew Too Much (either version) - Royal Albert Hall sequence.
Aaaargh!! That's about my least favorite scene ever!! (and probably my least favorite Hitchcock too. Remake though - never seen the original)

I came to watch a Hitch thriller, not a blinkin' overture in the middle of the film...
Guest 29329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 11:37   #36
Guest 52022
Trusted User

Most of my favourites have already been mentioned (DON’T LOOK NOW, TGTBATU, BLUE VELVET, THE WILD BUNCH, PAT GARRETT) but if a newbie may be permitted to add some personal favourite moments…

The prologue to ANDREI RUBLEV – for some reason this scene with its ominous music has always had a really powerful effect on me, especially the cut to the horse.

The ‘detritus in the river’ scene and the ending of STALKER – just amazingly powerful scenes, with truly haunting use of music.

The battle in the desert from LONE WOLF & CUB: BABY CART TO THE RIVER STYX (“they call that sound the whistling of wintry wind…”)

The opening and closing scenes from AGUIRRE (“who else is with me?”), though I could list many other favourite Herzog moments too.

The underwater ballroom and the auditorium scenes from INFERNO.

My absolute favourite scenes have to be from THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY though. It’s one of the first films I remember seeing as a child (my dad loved Leone’s films), and remains probably my favourite film to this day.
Guest 52022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 14:41   #37
Guest 52855
Trusted User

Some of mine which I don't think have been previously mentioned:

"Fill your hands you sons of bitches" from True Grit

Running through the sea in Chariots of Fire

The fistfight from The Quiet Man

Cyd Charisse doing her stuff in that green outfit in Singin' in the Rain

Hilts and his baseball in The Great Escape (and the motorbike stuff, and the machine gunning of the recaptured prisoners, and ......)

Scene from The Colditz Story which sort of goes as follows:
Prisoners all lined up for rollcall.
(Everything translated into English)
German Officer: "Would any prisoner like to work for the German Reich?"
French Prisoner: "I would rather work for 10 Germans rather than 1 Frenchman."
Loud gasps all round.
German Officer: "What occupation?"
French Prisoner: "Gravedigger."

Errol Flynn barging into King John's banquet with a stag slung across his shoulders in The Adventures of Robin Hood

Lancelot cutting down the tree during his duel with King Arthur in The Knights of the Round Table

Spencer Tracy tangled in the wreck at the end of Captains Courageous which will be out on R2 DVD in the next week or so - hurrah!
Guest 52855 is offline   Reply With Quote