Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > DVD and Blu-ray Discussion

Old 26-11-2004, 15:27   #41
Guest 45073
Trusted User

If we get what's rumoured, 2005 could turn out to be a banner year for Peckinpah aficionados.....can't wait but there have been plenty of delays and disappointments in the past.
Guest 45073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2004, 15:54   #42
Guest 9109
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hodson
Mentioned the Criterion Straw Dogs a few posts ago; I notice that it's still available - though showing 'low stock' - at dvdpacific.com for just under £15 plus p&p here.
In fact I ordered one yesterday, hopefully they still have stock
Guest 9109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2004, 16:06   #43
anephric
Kidney Thief

I'm still gutted I passed up on this for a fiver in a second-hand shop...
anephric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 10:30   #44
Guest 9109
Trusted User

If anyone's still after the Criterion Straw Dogs, DVDpacific could not supply, however I have just had one shipped from digital eyes and they still have stock, works out at around £17.70 delivered

http://www.digitaleyes.net/Details.cfm?info=1584DDVD
Guest 9109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 11:21   #45
gZa
Trusted User

The Wild Bunch and Pat Garrett & Billy The Kid have a couple of screenings at the NFT next month!

http://www.bfi.org.uk/showing/nft/ca...ma%201967-1980
Old 07-12-2004, 15:37   #46
Guest 14056
Trusted User

Originally Posted by Garry Cowell
Quote:
The Wild Bunch and Pat Garrett & Billy The Kid have a couple of screenings at the NFT next month
Are these performances likely to sell out or is there a good chance of turning up on the day and getting in (student concession price).
Thanks for the heads up!
Guest 14056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 16:04   #47
gZa
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdjw
Are these performances likely to sell out or is there a good chance of turning up on the day and getting in (student concession price).
Thanks for the heads up!
Hmmm difficult to say. I went to see The Wild Bunch there a couple of years ago (in a similar sort of one off screening) and it wasn't hugely packed. I always buy my tickets a day or two beforehand just to be sure though.

Last edited by gZa; 07-12-2004 at 16:06.
gZa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 13:20   #48
Guest 29
Last Of The Independents

Of the six occasions I've seen "Pat Garrett" at the NFT, it's never been more than half full, more's the pity. The 1995 showing of "The Wild Bunch" sold out but that was a special showing of the remastered print. Otherwise, I've seen it at the NFT too many times to count and it's never been full at any other time.
Guest 29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 16:37   #49
gZa
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
Of the six occasions I've seen "Pat Garrett" at the NFT, it's never been more than half full, more's the pity.
Yeah... but, there's a lot of interest in Peckinpah these days - through the belated release of Straw Dogs in the UK and now the up and coming restoration of Major Dundee - it feels like...times have changed.
gZa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 13:56   #50
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwoolst
If anyone's still after the Criterion Straw Dogs, DVDpacific could not supply, however I have just had one shipped from digital eyes and they still have stock, works out at around £17.70 delivered

http://www.digitaleyes.net/Details.cfm?info=1584DDVD
They also have it here
John Hodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2004, 12:18   #51
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

DVD Beaver on the merits of the R1 v R2 discs of The Osterman Weekend here.
Old 14-01-2005, 11:22   #52
Summerisle
Trusted User

Interesting Peckinpah news

Saw these few paragraphs on the website of Film Score Monthly (they are pretty self explanatory so won't comment [also apologies if some/or all is old news documented somewhere else on the forums]):

Quote:
This February marks the 80th anniversary of Sam Peckinpah's birth, and this spring Columbia will be releasing a recently discovered longer cut of his dark 1965 Civil War-era adventure MAJOR DUNDEE, the film he directed between his classics Ride the High Country and The Wild Bunch, to selected theaters. What is most unusual about this re-release is that Columbia has commissioned an entirely new score, by a selected-but-not-yet-named composer (an unknown), to replace the film's original Daniele Amfitheatrof score (which was reportedly hated by Peckinpah, who was not involved in the film's final cut). The film's upcoming DVD release will feature the new score as well as the Amfitheatrof score on separate audio tracks.

Peckinpah expert Nick Redman is preparing a multi-box DVD set of Peckinpah films to be released later this year. One of the highlights for film music fans will be the DVD of THE GETAWAY, which is expected to feature the film's rejected Jerry Fielding score isolated on a separate audio track, spotted exactly as Fielding intended. The supplementary material will include one sequence from the film with Fielding's music mixed back in, and a documentary on Fielding's collaboration with Peckinpah and the rejection of the Getaway score, featuring interviews with Fielding's wife and daughter.

If this isn't enough for Peckinpah fans, Redman and film editor Paul Seydor (Cobb, Tin Cup) will follow up their Oscar nominated documentary The Wild Bunch: An Album in Montage with A Simple Adventure Story: Sam Peckinpah, Mexico and The Wild Bunch, a new documentary which will feature newly discovered color outtake footage from The Wild Bunch as well as new footage exploring the Mexican locations where the film was shot. The documentary will premiere at the American Cinematheque in late February and also show at the Cannes Film Festival. Also at Cannes will be a new cut of Peckinpah's Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid.
Article here: http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/articles/2005/14_Jan---Film_Score_Friday.asp
Summerisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2005, 11:38   #53
gZa
Trusted User

"...times are changing."

Sweet! Just watched The Wild Bunch at the NFT last week and will be watching Pat Garrett & Billy The Kid end of the month followed by Bring Me The Head Of Alfredo Garcia. Got a huge hard-on for Peckinpah flicks at the mo'

Great news! I can't wait to see these new DVD's...
Old 14-01-2005, 11:38   #54
anephric
Kidney Thief

I'd love to see Dundee theatrically. I've only ever seen The Wild Bunch on the big screen.
Old 14-01-2005, 12:05   #55
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Fantastic news all round - I had a feeling in my water that The Getaway would be made over by Warners and make it into that Peckinpah set.

Sam Peckinpah would have been 80 next month - that's a bit of a sobering thought...

Last edited by John Hodson; 14-01-2005 at 12:26.
Old 14-01-2005, 12:40   #56
Guest 29334
Filmmaker/A Big Film Fan

If this isn't enough for Peckinpah fans, Redman and film editor Paul Seydor (Cobb, Tin Cup) will follow up their Oscar nominated documentary The Wild Bunch: An Album in Montage with A Simple Adventure Story: Sam Peckinpah, Mexico and The Wild Bunch, a new documentary which will feature newly discovered color outtake footage from The Wild Bunch as well as new footage exploring the Mexican locations where the film was shot. The documentary will premiere at the American Cinematheque in late February and also show at the Cannes Film Festival.

Thats the one I'm looking forward to! Cheers Summerisle!

Last edited by Tony Soprano; 15-01-2005 at 15:31.
Guest 29334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2005, 12:42   #57
anephric
Kidney Thief

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hodson
Fantastic news all round - I had a feeling in my water that The Getaway would be made over by Warners and make it into that Peckinpah set.
I only bit the bullet a little while ago and shelled out for the barebones of this. Boo.
Old 14-01-2005, 12:44   #58
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by anephric
I only bit the bullet a little while ago and shelled out for the barebones of this. Boo.
I do hope you're buying that Carlton Bad Timing too?
Old 14-01-2005, 12:53   #59
charlie angel
Trusted Schmoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anephric
Ebay it now before the news spreads - make a few quid back & look forward to the new edition arriving.

All sounds just a bit good.
charlie angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2005, 12:56   #60
anephric
Kidney Thief

I only paid £3 for it, so it wasn't too painful

I am the King of Tightness. Listen to the frenetic scraping of those pennies!