Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 16-06-2003, 12:11   #1
spearce8
Enoch was right.

The Wild Bunch S.E

I heard there was a Special Edition in the pipeline, what's the latest
spearce8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2003, 15:59   #2
Guest 925
Xbox Tag: mondoben

Not fussed about extra features really. Just the movie on ONE SIDE of a disc would be nice!
Guest 925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2003, 18:30   #3
Guest 29
Last Of The Independents

Or at the very least, not divided in such at such a critical point in the plot.

I haven't heard anything other than rumours but this is surely a must at some point, along with a better release of that other vital sixties movie, "Bonnie And Clyde".
Guest 29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2003, 18:38   #4
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

No mention of anything Peckinpah in the recent HTF Warners chat, so I wouldn't hold my breath. It's a flipper I know and it definitely deserves SE status, but at least we have it (pretty decent transfer too).

Personally, I'd be much more delighted to see Pat Garrett debut on DVD (...with an SE of course )

---
So many films, so little time...
John Hodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2003, 18:53   #5
Guest 1472
Trusted User

Warner should give The Wild Bunch their two-disc special edition treatment. If movies like Costner's Robin Hood can get that treatment than this movie must get it.

And where's Ride The High Country?

Btw, Bring Me The Head Of Alfredo Garcia will be released in August in Japan: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=KIBF-2114
Guest 1472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2003, 19:59   #6
Guest 29
Last Of The Independents

Personally, I'd be much more delighted to see Pat Garrett debut on DVD (...with an SE of course )

Heartily seconded - but you knew that already

I'd like to see the original and 'directors cut' versions on the disc with the other scenes not included in either as extras, a commentary (Coburn has gone sadly but Kristofferson is still around) and a documentary detailing the extraordinarily sad making of the film.
Old 16-06-2003, 20:05   #7
Guest 8751
Trusted User

excellent news about Alfredo Garcia, I can see me making my first purchase from Japan since Leon: Version Integrale a loooong time ago
Guest 8751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2003, 20:12   #8
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike

Heartily seconded - but you knew that already
But of course

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike
I'd like to see the original and 'directors cut' versions on the disc with the other scenes not included in either as extras, a commentary (Coburn has gone sadly but Kristofferson is still around) and a documentary detailing the extraordinarily sad making of the film.
Good call!

BTW - I already have the R2 of Straw Dogs; has anyone here bought the Criterion as well and thought it was a worthwhile purchase over, above or complimentary to, the R2?

---
Old 16-06-2003, 21:02   #9
Guest 29
Last Of The Independents

I gather the Criterion is well worth a look with a better transfer and an excellent commentary - possibly essential simply for the BBC "Man Of Iron" documentary if you've never seen it.
Old 16-06-2003, 21:08   #10
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Yes, I enjoyed Man of Iron at the time, pity the doco is excised of the clips from other Peckinpah films (rights issues I assume), but it does indeed look like a double dip.

---
Old 16-06-2003, 21:51   #11
KeyserSoze
Trusted User

comparison for Straw Dogs here

http://207.136.67.23/film/dvdcompare/strawdogs.htm

i got the R2, i wont be upgrading but if i was big fan and had loads of money it would be a no brainer, the pic on the R2 is poor.

Last edited by KeyserSoze; 16-06-2003 at 21:52.
KeyserSoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2003, 20:42   #12
Guest 20637
Rated R

Thats an incredible comaprison site.

I decided to keep both versions.
Guest 20637 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2003, 08:44   #13
gZa
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally posted by hitch_fan
And where's Ride The High Country?
Channel 4, Tuesday 24th June 13:05 - 14.45
Old 18-06-2003, 11:16   #14
Snuffy
Shirker not lurker

Ride the High Country aka Guns in the afternoon is superb. Randolph Scott, one of the great unsung heroes of western genre. Equally echo above that Pat Garrett is sorely needed on dvd. Much of the work to restore it to its uncut glory has been done in recent years thus surely it is ripe for dvd release.

Wild Bunch is great but it somehow lacks some of the objectivity Peckinpah brought to the aforementioned classics.

That said Bring SEs of any Peckinpah's Westerns and I'll die a happy man. (You can keep the flat and empty Straw Dogs though)

Last edited by Snuffy; 18-06-2003 at 15:06.
Snuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2003, 11:23   #15
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Believe it or not, there are one or two people who haven't seen The Wild Bunch; you might want to put your description of the denouement in spoiler tags!

---
Old 18-06-2003, 11:43   #16
Guest 29
Last Of The Independents

I have to agree with John:

I don't agree that "Straw Dogs" is flat or empty either. In fact, for a Peckinpah fan it's probably his most revealing and personal film, packed with his own contradictions and confusions. But I've written about that in more detail here.
Old 18-06-2003, 12:33   #17
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Mike it's a fantastic performance by Holden, the thoughts of it make the hairs stand up on the back of my neck:

"We're not gonna get rid of anybody. We're gonna stick together, just like it used to be. When you side with a man, you stay with him. And if you can't do that, you're like some animal, you're finished. We're finished! All of us!"

Brilliant.

---
Old 18-06-2003, 12:33   #18
Guest 21489
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by John Hodson
BTW - I already have the R2 of Straw Dogs; has anyone here bought the Criterion as well and thought it was a worthwhile purchase over, above or complimentary to, the R2?
More useful information may be found here, John.

For my part, I have the Freemantle editon, and am not sufficiently keen on the film to take the trouble or expense to acquire Criterion's.
Guest 21489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2003, 12:34   #19
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Quote:
Originally posted by Rex Trueform
More useful information may be found here, John.

For my part, I have the Freemantle editon, and am not sufficiently keen on the film to take the trouble or expense to acquire Criterion's.
Thanks Rex. I must admit, I'm weakening...

---
Old 18-06-2003, 12:39   #20
Guest 21489
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Snuffy
Ride the High Country aka Guns in the afternoon is superb. Randolph Scott, one of the great unsung heroes of western genre. Equally echo above that Pat Garrett is sorely needed on dvd. Much of the work to restore it to its uncut glory has been done in recent years thus surely it is ripe for dvd release.

Wild Bunch is great but it somehow lacks some of the objectivity Peckinpah brought to the aforementioned classics. Dramatically it's too tied in to the blood'n'guts finale and I don't find myself connecting with the characters in quite the same way, hence when they get 'blown away' I'm not sure if they don't really get what they deserve. The same can't be said for McCrea, Kristofferson and Coburn.
I say, very well put, sir. I share your (and others') enthusiasm for these two works above "The Wild Bunch". If it were to boil down to choice, I should have no hesitation in taking these on satisfactory DVDs over any edition, special or otherwise, of "The Wild Bunch". And that is not to say that I do not love the latter, but that the former are simply peerless. Their continued absence in such form is nothing less than criminal, but they are in Warner hands...

I may as well come clean and confess that I also prefer both the lovely "Ballad of Cable Hogue" (Warner, again) and the equally touching "Junior Bonner" to "The Wild Bunch". So there!

I know not from where at this remove, but I had formed the opinion that a Region 1 box set, devoted to Peckinpah, was in the pipeline from Warner, to include at least "High Country", "Garrett and Billy" and a new, two-disc special edition of "The Wild Bunch". I have a note to myself that this has been slated for release either late this year or in 2004. Of course, this may have been more pipe dream than pipeline...
Guest 21489 is offline   Reply With Quote